Hello all, I am yet another new member to the community - I read about MB3 for about 5 minutes and immediately became a lifetime member - I think it's a great tool and I can't wait to see where things go!
In the interest of a brief background, here's my environment:
- Windows 7 x64 running Windows Media Server (using Ceton cards on Verizon FIOS) - sending live and recorded TV to several XBox 360s around the house (works great)
- large movie collection sitting on network-attached storage device (mapped as drive M: on server) - 99% of the movies are in .vob format (due to size of collection I have no interest in any sort of conversion)
- no music or photos to worry about
- just installed MB3 a little while ago (installed Cover Art and Rotten Tomatoes plugins)
My use cases are as follows:
1. Use MB3 to present movie collection to a viewer that's sitting in front of the media server and big TV - once a movie is selected, have VLC take over and actually perform playback
2. From other PCs located around the house, use MB3 to browse movie collection and once again have VLC take over once the play option is selected
3. Transcode movies from MB3 to XBox 360s
I have been all over the forums, but I'm still a little unclear on feasibility as well as procedures to try and set up my use cases. From what I've been able to discern, folks are using VLC on PCs for playback, but I can't get it to work to save my life. I have the VLC option enabled under options in my browser, and even when I click on "Play" - I get the option to play from VLC, but it just won't start. I have created the direct mapping, but I'm stuck. I have VLC open when I try this as well. Am I missing something? Is it possible to launch VLC from the web client or is that a non-starter?
My search results for watching movies on the 360 are all over the place. Some threads give the impression that it works for some (with a few caveats), others suggest that I should set fire to all of my 360s and buy Rokus. I know the 360 is a million years old, but it's sitting there serving up live and recorded HD programming brilliantly as well as playing oldie but goodie games, so I'd love to pursue the holy grail of getting my movie collection on them. I've done my best to search FAQs, Wikis, and other areas, and I fashion myself as a competent user, but any guidance would really be appreciated! After I get any of this figured out, I'd be happy to submit a write up for the appropriate section.
Thanks (and apologies - ha) in advance!