Multi-Cast Support

Theodore

• 1 month later...
arcooke

Resurrecting.  I'd love this, especially something user-friendly enough for non techies to use.  I watch movies with my family remotely all the time using Synclounge for Plex, but it's pretty buggy and supports very few types of clients.  I'm testing out Emby but don't see any options for watching together yet.

There are no streaming media servers that I know of that natively do this, that would really set Emby apart if it had good native multicast support in all the apps.

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

+1

I just created an account to push this. I am currently using another media server software that I am generally happy with but I would most likely jump ships if emby would natively support multi-casting

• 3 weeks later...
otispresley

+1 for this, but @@cayars makes good points. Since most everyone's home network is all the same LAN, it makes this more possible; however, the biggest drawback to true multicast is that without having a multicast router talking to a switch or access point that runs IGMP Snooping, or just a layer 3 switch that does both, to manage multicast group memberships, i.e. which ports/clients get the multicast traffic, then all clients on the switch/AP see that traffic, regardless of whether they are subscibed. Plus, it would all have to stay inside the home, because your ISP will not accept multicast traffic from you, requiring you to configure tunnel connections capable of carrying multicast traffic.

If you don't want simultaneous streaming to require that the users' home equipment have this capability, then a traditional unicast solution would be used and a lot more effort made to synchronize multiple unicast streams at both the server and client ends. This also means that you have no bandwidth management from the server end, so you have duplicate data going to every client that wants it, eating up bandwidth on the server connection, whereas a multicast solution only sends a single copy of the data, and the network, that knows who is sending the data and and who is receiving it, makes copies of the data as needed and sends it only where it needs to go. As the server link starts to become saturated, it becomes more difficult to keep all the clients in sync because there is more latency involved in getting the traffic across the network, and the more it varies from connection to connection. Having QOS enabled on the network would help some, but eventually not enough.

Edited by otispresley
  • Like 1

+1 also from me: I think that the possibility that different users can watch the same movie "together" in different locations should easier to obtain rather than focusing on synced play using different devices in the same rooms. Being remote even 2/3 seconds of difference between the streams might not be a big issue, being just a matter of "remote controlling" another istance of emby webapp to play, pause and so on. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Dewey80

+1 for this!!!

Agree on the not perfect sync, at least for initial rollout (to prevent echo the user can just mute one device). The amount of users that would need it perfect would be extremely small, I would've thought.

I was on an Emirates flight a few months back and they had this ability to simultaneously watch a movie with another seat, think it's such a great feature, would love to see it added!

D

• 2 weeks later...
gridrunner

I wanted this feature for a while. I really dont like Plex but feel very jealous of synclounge. 

chef

Hey @@Luke to do this would we just have the attended users login and then control all thier the sessions by sending PlayNow to each session simultaneously?

The only thing I see as an issue is the possibility that the streams might not be completely in sync.

Edited by chef

jblaze12

looks cool might have to test and explore within my small community

Wow plex is really impressing me all of a sudden with their new, interesting features. Intro skip, now this!

• Like 1

adamstewiegreen

Wow plex is really impressing me all of a sudden with their new, interesting features. Intro skip, now this!

All that and their famous customer service...  I'll pass.

• Like 2

neik

All that and their famous customer service...  I'll pass.

Still, I have to admit those two features are quite nice and also long requested over here.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...