Channel times displayed (Guide)

KarterJK

Sven

Just to clarify, do you mean that there is 1-2 seconds of lag when you try to scroll to the far right?

Yes. That's correct..

But that's not a problem for me. I only use the guide to check what's on tv for that moment. Not to check some other days.....

techywarrior

That's odd. It would have to be from the spacer divs on those channels with no guide info but it would have been the same in my previous version (worse even because every channel had numerous divs).

I think that we should get it in the dev release and see how a larger set of testers find it. In the mean time I can think of a way to reduce the performance hit when there is no data, or limited data, for a channel.

techywarrior

Actually @@Sven or anyone else who has channels in their guide with no data, or partial data, can you try this version. (I wish I had a channel like that to test with).

Things to check:

Do channels with no data still appear correct?

Do channels with partial guide data show the programs in the correct place? (this is most important to check)

Is it faster now scrolling left/right (and loading)

livetvguide.zip

techywarrior

What do you mean not perfect? In that it is still slow? I can't think of any reason it would be slow at this point. This later test removes all the 1 minute sized DIVs for the empty space and instead finds the next program in order to size itself correctly. There would be a little extra overhead in JS looping but it should be much less then 1000's of DIVs.

The good news is that it looks like the spacing logic I wrote is working as your guide appears to look correct.

Scrolling left/right is not yet perfect. But it's already better....

Hey @@Sven

When you say it is not yet perfect, I am just curious if it is worse than the current dev build, or the same?

There looks to be some javascript that keeps the timeslot headers and channel labels scrolled in sync with the program list. That could cause some interaction lag that would have nothing to do with techywarrior's changes.

Sven

It's worse than the current dev build. In the current dev build i don't have any "lag" problem.

In the new version from @@techywarrior i have a little bit "lag".

But i also have more programs... :)

techywarrior

I'm at a bit of a loss explaining why there would be lag scrolling. Everything is rendered at once. So theoretically once the guide loads the browser isn't really doing anything anymore.

TedA, do you think we should just push it to Dev and see what other people report? I am sure I can fix it but I'm not experiencing anything remotely like Sven is describing. (but my guide is only 9 channels and no empty guides)

It's worse than the current dev build. In the current dev build i don't have any "lag" problem.

In the new version from @@techywarrior i have a little bit "lag".

But i also have more programs... :)

All those programs is why you are the perfect tester!  :D

Looking at the screenshot of your guide, I would bet this is being caused by all of the programs in your guide data that are 1/5/10 minutes long. With the old guide things like those short shows on channels 1 and 14 would not have been rendered. Just one show per 30-min slot. The extra divs from actually rendering each show in your guide data are probably causing a bit of scroll lag...

Techywarrior, do you think that sounds like a plausible culprit? Some odd guide data for sure.

techywarrior

Techywarrior, do you think that sounds like a plausible culprit? Some odd guide data for sure.

Yea, it's the only thing I can think of. I'm pretty sure I have the minimum number of elements required to render a guide now. Only other solution would be to only show 2-3 hour block and then have a button to load the next block (that's how I saw other web sites do their guides, like tvguide.com, abc.com, etc.).

I prefer our display where you can at least see the whole day (or rest of it anyways) at once. It's much faster to browse what is going on later.

If we push it to Dev then we can see how people who have 100+ channels feel it works. I would imagine that even in the old method they would have slight lag. It is also going to depend on the browser and the CPU speed.

Yea, it's the only thing I can think of. I'm pretty sure I have the minimum number of elements required to render a guide now. Only other solution would be to only show 2-3 hour block and then have a button to load the next block (that's how I saw other web sites do their guides, like tvguide.com, abc.com, etc.).

I prefer our display where you can at least see the whole day (or rest of it anyways) at once. It's much faster to browse what is going on later.

If we push it to Dev then we can see how people who have 100+ channels feel it works. I would imagine that even in the old method they would have slight lag. It is also going to depend on the browser and the CPU speed.

Agreed. Looking pretty slick. Great work on this. We'll see how it goes for people after Luke merges the PR.

techywarrior

I just noticed something that was introduced with the fix for the empty guide space that I need to sort out.

@@jhevener I don't think that is using techywarrior's JS. 4:15 is being rendered at 4. 4:45 is being rendered at 4:30, etc. You probably have a cached version of the JS in your browser.

Also, the lines to separate most of the movies are gone.. but not all the lines. Was it that way prior to using techywarrior's CSS file?

techywarrior

It could be related to the bug I found. I'm working on an update now. Since I am stretching the first cell there is a logic bug which can cause the cells to all be out of alignment with the time.

I don't have his issue with the lines not showing up on the movie entries though so he could be using a cached CSS file or both JS and CSS.

Edited by techywarrior

techywarrior

So, the first cell wasn't stretching correctly if the show was longer then 30 minutes. Oops.

Attached is a fixed version. This is a pretty significant update to the way the guide was displaying so this may not be the last bug but I don't think the 1-2 people testing it here are enough to truly find everything so once it's pushed to Dev and more feedback comes in I can hopefully correct anything else.

livetvguide.zip

KarterJK

So, the first cell wasn't stretching correctly if the show was longer then 30 minutes. Oops. Attached is a fixed version. This is a pretty significant update to the way the guide was displaying so this may not be the last bug but I don't think the 1-2 people testing it here are enough to truly find everything so once it's pushed to Dev and more feedback comes in I can hopefully correct anything else.

I have been preoccupied with other things, and am just now getting back to this.  I haven't  tried your latest version (as of yet), but will a little later and give my feedback.

I was hoping it would have made it into the core by now.

techywarrior

I was hoping it would have made it into the core by now.

Me too but I have no control over that.