OT: Disaster Recovery options

crashkelly

crashkelly

That's a shame - I knew there was a good reason to hold onto all my older tech!

I knew there was as well but .... happy wife happy life ......

Cheers

CrashKelly

• Like 2

crashkelly

Hey all,

Happy to say that I am now "protected" ;)

Manage to get snapRAID going over that last bunch of days and get a full parity backup of my system. Setup was easy but the initial sync failed a few times, in the middle of the night of course, on files it could not properly read. I expected that due to the Caution flag I was getting on a couple of my drives.

Now all I need to do is go buy another 3TB drive, pull one of my existing drives and replace with the new drive, and then try a recovery.

All in all it was very easy to this point and I am happy

Cheers and thanks all for the suggestions

CRashKelly

CalypsoCowboy

+1 for Unraid for other that may read this thread. Mine has been rock solid as well. Just understand that unRaid really offers only a high availability basically. It allows you to keep going in the event of a hardware failure. For a true disaster recovery (i.e. your house burns down) you need to look at other solutions. 

• Like 1

TolkienBard

Well whatever you do, backup your TV show rips.  Identifying which episode is which on a disc is an unpleasant chore you won't want to repeat.  I had to once.  Spare yourself that at least.

This. So much this. When I first started making the conversion from disk to drive, I quickly realized that television shows were probably 5 times as much of a hassle to rip, title, and organize. Then, when you consider each season of a show is anywhere from 2-6 discs, it suddenly adds up in a hurry. Each individual episode is actually a fairly small file. Once all the episodes are combined though, my shows rate in at almost 20 TB all by themselves. Unlike movies though, that's 20 TB of .5 GB files, each one individually titled.

It took me months of ripping to do all of my shows. By comparison, it took me all of about 1 month to do nearly 1,500 movies.