Live TV

reluctantflux

Rasputin

This is a little off topic but...

Don't get me wrong.  Overall it works well.  However, for me timeshifting is still an issue - it's not reliable for LIveTV, and it'll just plain jump erratically in recordings (often ending up jumping to the start instead of skipping forward).  

It doesn't natively support virtual channels needed for cablecard type setups - so it doesn't directly support my HDHomerun Primes.  I had to cobble some stuff together with my own scripts to make it work via the IPTV inputs.  Now that I've got it working, that part works well.  It's always felt like a kludge though, and I keep waiting for it to fall apart.  I put a lot of time into it, and when you compare that to being up and running in 5mins or less with what Emby is doing, it kinda makes you think.

I've never been a fan of the recording engine.  The series recording rules are very basic.  Part of the problem here is that I got a bit spoiled with MythTV's rules - where you could get really specific by including and/or excluding things.  Also the database of previous recordings to do away with duplicates and such has part of me wishing I hadn't pulled away from MythTV.

But you're right, it's lightweight, and it's been working quite consistently since I got it all going.

I'm kinda excited for the prospects of what Luke has alluded to with the TV features in Emby though.  The mashup of the LiveTV, recording, and library stuff (with watched status and such coming across) could be pretty interesting.

From what I've seen, SD's new HDHomerun DVR project might be the answer to the gap a lot of people are currently feeling. I have personally used almost all the backend options out there and most are just too cumbersome and labor-intensive for the result. ServerWMC was the best option, but still had it's faults with being a "middle man." Until SD officially releases DVR, I will continue to use their View Plugin in Kodi...It's missing DVR function, but it tunes fast and I can use Emby to record something and organize the content in the meantime. Not ideal, but better than dealing with NextPVR or TVHeadend, IMO.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Elguapo361

I'm currently using Emby for multiple Kodi installs at home, and for remote streaming to portable devices. I love having all my Movies and TV Shows synced across all devices while taking advantage of the user interface flexibility of Kodi at home.

I also have WMC and HDHomerun setup as the backend for LiveTV, and use the ServerWMC plugin for Emby to remote stream to clients while out of the house.  With Emby's new built in LiveTV functionality, I could uninstall the ServerWMC plugin, but then shared timers and recordings would not be shared with Kodi.

Since Emby is able to create a stream directly from the HDHomerun in order to transcode, would it not be possible to pass that stream (not transcoded in the case of local installs) directly to Kodi? Ideally I'd love to have Emby's native LiveTV functionality integrated into the Kodi addon, allowing me to completely eliminate WMC from the equation.  This would allow Kodi to handle all the backend functionality for all my media instead of having to keep plates spinning.

I'm currently using Emby for multiple Kodi installs at home, and for remote streaming to portable devices. I love having all my Movies and TV Shows synced across all devices while taking advantage of the user interface flexibility of Kodi at home.

I also have WMC and HDHomerun setup as the backend for LiveTV, and use the ServerWMC plugin for Emby to remote stream to clients while out of the house.  With Emby's new built in LiveTV functionality, I could uninstall the ServerWMC plugin, but then shared timers and recordings would not be shared with Kodi.

Since Emby is able to create a stream directly from the HDHomerun in order to transcode, would it not be possible to pass that stream (not transcoded in the case of local installs) directly to Kodi? Ideally I'd love to have Emby's native LiveTV functionality integrated into the Kodi addon, allowing me to completely eliminate WMC from the equation.  This would allow Kodi to handle all the backend functionality for all my media instead of having to keep plates spinning.

Kodi Plugin

xnappo

This is a totally different project.  The Kodi plugin is using Emby's DB to replace Kodi's DB.  They have a completely different infrastructure to integrate TV back-ends.

• 2 months later...
AmericanCrisis

From what I've seen, SD's new HDHomerun DVR project might be the answer to the gap a lot of people are currently feeling. I have personally used almost all the backend options out there and most are just too cumbersome and labor-intensive for the result. ServerWMC was the best option, but still had it's faults with being a "middle man." Until SD officially releases DVR, I will continue to use their View Plugin in Kodi...It's missing DVR function, but it tunes fast and I can use Emby to record something and organize the content in the meantime. Not ideal, but better than dealing with NextPVR or TVHeadend, IMO.

This is a great point and one that I have implemented recently as well.  I was having a ton of problems with NextPVR.  Since I have upgraded to Win10 (away from WMC) I had to find a solution that just "worked" and so far I think HDHomerun Extend with the Kodi add-on is the best.  Albiet it does not have DVR support, and for some reason unknown Emby developers aren't able to extract the EPG data from the Extend device for a guide and logos. 

What I am hoping for is this:  That the HDHomerun DVR will allow a full/complete integretion into Kodi.  The icing on the cake would be for Emby to have a suitable plugin that uses HDHomerun DVR and all its data/guide/logos.  I don't think I would be willing to pay for both a Schedules Direct subscription and an HDHomerun DVR subscription.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know why people seem to have an issue with NextPVR. I have been testing the HDHomeRun DVR as part of the kickstarter and it's not even 50% of the way there yet IMO. NextPVR is just rock-solid for me in Kodi. Although I guess there's plenty of Emby users that prefer the Emby app versus Kodi, I go the opposite direction and have a mix of Nvidia Shields and OpenELEC boxes in the house.

• Like 1

imadunatic

Don't know why people seem to have an issue with NextPVR. I have been testing the HDHomeRun DVR as part of the kickstarter and it's not even 50% of the way there yet IMO. NextPVR is just rock-solid for me in Kodi. Although I guess there's plenty of Emby users that prefer the Emby app versus Kodi, I go the opposite direction and have a mix of Nvidia Shields and OpenELEC boxes in the house.

I am using NextPVR with a Windows 10 server (and Kodi on FireTV) and this has been my experience exactly.... I have yet to miss a recording or have any playback issues related to NextPVR and I'm also using Emby for remote live tv access, which is also working well.