Best way to set up in the library?

Smaky

One question with this. I left all the folders in place so as I add shows the folder structure is ready. However, when I pull up the Looney Tunes I see all the empty folders and have to go to the very bottom to find the shows at least in folder view. Any way to hide the empty folders?

yaksplat
On 9/3/2020 at 9:16 PM, bhelm1 said:

One question with this. I left all the folders in place so as I add shows the folder structure is ready. However, when I pull up the Looney Tunes I see all the empty folders and have to go to the very bottom to find the shows at least in folder view. Any way to hide the empty folders?

use a PowerShell script.  

(gci E:\ServerFolders\Music -r | ? {$_.PSIsContainer -eq $True}) | ?{$_.GetFileSystemInfos().Count -eq 0} | Remove-Item -recurse -whatif

This will show what empty directories would be deleted.  if you like what you see, run it again without the -whatif

• Like 1

PenkethBoy

For reference for those that dont read Powershell Aliases here is a more verbose version :)

and a little explanation of what does what

also an alternative way - rather than everything on one line.

(Get-ChildItem -LiteralPath "E:\ServerFolders\Music" -Recurse | Where-Object {$_.PSIsContainer -eq $True}) | Where_Object {$_.GetFileSystemInfos().Count -eq 0} | Remove-Item -Recurse -whatif

or another way

# List of only Folders below the path specified with a recursive search
# .PSIsContainer is a folder in PS speak
# -literalPath ensures any path that might have [] within it does not get interpreted as regex

$ListOfDir = Get-ChildItem -LiteralPath 'E:\ServerFolders\Music' -Recurse | Where-Object {$_.PSIsContainer -eq $True}

# filter by empty folders i.e with count of 0 for files/sub folders

$ListOfDir_ToDelete = $ListOfDir | Where_Object {$_.GetFileSystemInfos().Count -eq 0}

# test what would be deleted with -WhatIf
# -Recurse not needed
# will print to console what would be deleted

$ListOfDir_ToDelete | Remove-Item -Whatif

# when happy with result remove the "-whatif"
# NOTE - once deleted they are gone - you will not find them in the recycle bin! So be careful

# if you want to just list the folders then just - will write it to the screen - although not very useful and in the default format :)

$ListOfDir_ToDelete

#or To a File with utf8 encoding to cover any non ASCII characters that may be present in folder names

Write-Output $ListOfDir_ToDelete | Out-File -FilePath "F:\Dir_log.txt" -Encoding utf8

Have fun

@yaksplat I did this as a lot of users will not be familiar with PS let alone aliases (special place in hell for those that came up with aliases) which i personally hate - but there is nothing wrong in using them :) 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
KellyEmby

I don't remember who turned me on to this program, but it has made all the difference for me!

"Rename My TV Series" by www.tweaking4all.com

The other one I use a lot is "Bulk Rename  Utility"

They both have been extremely helpful in getting things named so Emby can do its job... and Emby really does a great job!  Thanks for the Program!!

Edited by KellyEmby
  • Like 1