iOS Apps - Server unreachable

Mark Anderson

DurMonAtor

Hi, I didn't feel a new thread was needed, I can't connect to my server through the app, I have tried an internal ip and my hostname but they don't connect, yet my girlfriend can connect fine. I am using a retina iPad Mini and my girlfriend is using an iPad 2. If anyone can help, that'll be great, thanks

• 1 year later...

Hey guys, I am new to MB, but I am a relatively technical person.  I am running MB on my windows HT computer (windows 10 pro x64).  I confirmed, within the management UI, that my MB uses ports 8096 and 8920 as their assigned http and https ports respectively.  I was running the lastest  official release version of MB. 

as far as an Internal firewal on my MB server I am only using windows firewall (no third party software firewall or separate hardware firewall).  I checked my advanced firewall settings and do see inbound rules named 8096 and 8920 in the list.  the rules tie to the ports 8096 and 8920.  on each rule, I checked the action settings and confirmed that they were both set to "allow the connection". I also checked both of the rules for their scope remote ip address setting and confirmed they were both set to "any IP address".  lastly i confirmed that both rules were set to apply on all network profiles (domain, private, public).  i did a port scan to confirm that the ports were accessible on the server from my internal network. 

I then setup port forwarding on my firewall and forwarded 8920 to the ip address of my MB server.  i confirmed that a remote computer was able to access my MB server's secure site, but not he unsecure site.  this would indicate that port forwarding is functional. 

I downloaded the emby app on my Iphone 5s (IOS 8x).  Initially, I attempted to use my external ISP provided IP address and port 8920 but was unsuccessful.  I had the same error that all the other users had.  as per instructions on this thread i upgrade to the latest beta version of MB.  after upgrading i found that i was able to access my MB server from my phone's MB IOS app.  the peculiar part is that i have performed multiple scans on my external WAN connection and port 8096 won't pass through my firewall, but i have to use port 8096 on my IOS MB app, it errors out on port 8920. at this point it is working!!!

thank you guys for helping me get this resolved. 

4 notes regarding the IOS app:

1.  I have found that I need to keep re-adding my external connection settings, the app's select server ui.  the settings don't save. 

2.  instructions on the "add server" UI may need to be updated. 

once it was working using my public IP (ISP assigned dynamic IP address), I added my Dynamic DNS address to MB (Manage server - advanced - hosting - external WAN address), and restarted MB.  I dropped in my Dynamic DNS address in the format the IOS app denotes for non-IP address destinations (https://domainname.com) but found that it wouldn't work.  I had found another post on this thread that noted that a user found that the app works if you enter the address as "domainname.com" instead of a URL.  I tried this and found that it worked.  I would recommend updating the instructions in the app's "add server" menu.

3.  configuring the app to use the HTTPS port of 8920 (which is the only port I am passing across my firewall) the app won't connect, but when i set the port to 8096 the app works fine.  I can guarantee that i am not passing 8096 across my firewall, as i want only secure traffic to cross my firewall. 

4.  After I have added my new server to the app, I have found that I have to log in 2 times to get access to my videos.  I am not sure why, but i suspect that it has something to do with the fact that I am using the HTTPS port instead of the HTTP port. 

Edited by Tur0k