Windows 10 upgrade to be 'free' for one year

CBers

techywarrior

but that HoloLens pre-made video was just laughable. Maybe, possibly one day in 5 years or so it might be able to acheive part of what they 'made up', but the rest was just total fake.

Aside from the PR video they also gave a real demonstration of the Holo Studio app which looked pretty cool and certain media people were allowed to demo the system in very controlled fashion. They used the Holo Studio, Skype, Minecraft demo, and the Mars rover app.

Also, MS said it would be released in the Win10 "timeframe" which to me is not this year, or even next really. They didn't say "launch timeframe" which they typically call 1-6 months post GA. The timeframe of the OS to me would be more the publically supported life of 5 years. So it may be a few years until we see it commercially. The only thing that leads me to expect it sooner is the fact that they called the hardware version they showed the lady using on the stage the "new production ready". I honestly think that aside from battery life the most important aspect holding back a launch is going to be software. Releasing Hololens with no real software would be a waste/failure. ANd creating compelling software for a completely new type of product (I don't really think this is that similar to Google Glass at all) takes time and creativity (and trial and error).

I also wouldn't be surprised if the initial launch of the product is to select industries and not the general public. I can see them having a lot of success selling to hospitals/doctors, design firms, architects, engineers, etc.

I'm personally pretty excited to see what they do with it and what software comes out on it. There are a lot of possibilities but my imagination may also outpace the practical limitations of the hardware and software so I am also trying to stay grounded with my expectations.