Windows 10 upgrade to be 'free' for one year

CBers

Let's hope that Microsoft isn't going to hold back the API like they have with box one.

I have spent literally hours learning JavaScript and winjs in hopes that they will consider me for Xbox one app development.

I filled for a dev kit but still haven't heard back from them.

They are wasting time.

We can easily port the media browser windows phone app to Xbox one, or write anew model.

They better hurry up is all I am saying.

• Like 1

techywarrior

Apparently some very select press were given access to HoloLens 2-3 months ago and were under NDA until now. From reading their brief write-ups, which mostly used dev hardware, it sounds like it works extremely well. The demos they were given were basically the same things they showed off in the promo video (remote home repair help, Skype, Mars lander, Minecraft)

The fact that it works so well already has me excited.

I do have concerns of course.

• Price - I hope for $500 but I wouldn't be surprised if it's $1000
  • Software - Probably the biggest hurdle is getting a lot of programs to utilize the device. Especially if it has a high price point as it will limit the user base.
  • Battery Life - Another biggie. It's a self contained computer with 3 processors, WiFi, 2 cameras, 2 microphones, probably 2 IR sensors... (I want 4 hours use)

So far the only fully functional software they really showed was the 3D modeling software and Skype. The Minecraft demo was just a fixed interactive layout. Not the full game (my speculation but it seemed pretty obvious from descriptions)

Another minor thing is that they said it would be out during the "Windows 10 timeframe". They didn't specify "launch timeframe" which I would categorize as 1-6 months after public release. The OS timeframe could be the lifetime of the OS which I would put at a minimum of 2 years and up to 5 if talking general support.

Speaking of Windows 10 support. Anyone else wonder what they meant when they talked about the free upgrade for Win7-8.1 users and said that you would continue to get free upgrades/support "for the life of the device". I'm wondering if they mean normal patches, updates, .1 releases (previously service packs) or if they are going to follow Apple and make OS upgrades free and just charge a one time licensing fee per device.

godbodian

@@techywarrior, If you notice from a business aspect the big three as well the majority of other industries, are practicing consolidation for the practicality and the functionality of it. So instead of seeing the Windows platform as various offerings of software as was the original template (ie. XP, Vista, 7 & 8), Microsoft has FINALLY gone the reasonable logic of others within the tech industry and recognizes that all of those iterations were still the same OS and technically those iterations could be levied or considered as updates or releases. I think them embracing it for their loyal customers is smart, especially given in a lot of instances the stopping point in the past for adopting newer versions of Windows was the price point which led to the disjoined experience currently experienced in part by some Android users.

I'd love to see a HoloLens MB app that maybe in conjuction with the Kinect, passively (Chef) allowed multiuser distance viewing where your Xbox friends and family could sit virtual next to each other while watching the same video. For off I know but a cool possibility of the tech.

@@chef, I was wondering about that. I know Microsoft would be making universal apps but I always wondered how "open" they would be with that developer wise as they were also trying to move interest into their on-demand media services and MediaBrowser (as well as Plex and other services) seem to circumvent those efforts.

@@techywarrior, If you notice from a business aspect the big three as well the majority of other industries, are practicing consolidation for the practicality and the functionality of it. So instead of seeing the Windows platform as various offerings of software as was the original template (ie. XP, Vista, 7 & 8), Microsoft has FINALLY gone the reasonable logic of others within the tech industry and recognizes that all of those iterations were still the same OS and technically those iterations could be levied or considered as updates or releases. I think them embracing it for their loyal customers is smart, especially given in a lot of instances the stopping point in the past for adopting newer versions of Windows was the price point which led to the disjoined experience currently experienced in part by some Android users.

I'd love to see a HoloLens MB app that maybe in conjuction with the Kinect, passively (Chef) allowed multiuser distance viewing where your Xbox friends and family could sit virtual next to each other while watching the same video. For off I know but a cool possibility of the tech.

@@chef, I was wondering about that. I know Microsoft would be making universal apps but I always wondered how "open" they would be with that developer wise as they were also trying to move interest into their on-demand media services and MediaBrowser (as well as Plex and other services) seem to circumvent those efforts.

The release of Xbox music has definitely changed my point of viewing howi I personally acquire the sings I wish to listen to.

They control the whole thing, it costs ten bucks a month for each user you have an account for on your console, which is really expensive, and yet I find my self amused at the fact that I can request any album from any artist with my voice. Even my band appears on Xbox music.

As far as API releases go, they are definitely keeping them for a select audience right now.

If you can write JavaScript and HTML5 then you can write Xbox apps phone apps and widows 8 apps.

If you research further you will find that they are calling all their crossplatform apps "windows store apps".

This is why I believe it is possible to re-work the windows phone app for Xbox one, but you still need the API to really get the full extent of the "new ten foot interface".

Then once you acquire the API from Microsoft they still have the right to not allow its entry to the window store.

They have made their Apis so easy to use, and inorder to apply kinect interface you literally add the library to your source and edit one line of code in your JavaScript.

In .net for the first generation of kinect there was an plethora of classes and routines you have to learn to get the bloody thing working properly.

I really miss what media browser has to offer on my current set up. Using the DLNA to Xbox one is fine, but there is none of the extras you come to love from mb (new media tags, chapters, etc.).

The crossplatform idea is the way of the future. It is the same technology we have used to build the mb server.

But they have got to release a public API for Windows store apps.

Edited by chef
  • Like 1

techywarrior

godbodian, I agree with you but they haven't actually said that's what they are doing yet. So it's still up in the air. While I don't enjoy paying for new OSes I can still see some of justification to charge for them since there is a lot of work that goes on to create a new version. Now, what we are both suggesting is that they remit that payment in the interest of creating a larger more unified ecosystem. This works if you have an additional revenue stream to offset that loss. For Apple it's easy because they charge so much for the hardware. MS gets a discounted licensing fee from the hardware manufacturer. With people keeping computers for longer and longer they are actually losing a large revenue stream that isn't replaced with new licenses. With their new "Services" first mentality they could either do a OS subscription like Office 365 or use the OS market share to drive customers towards their other services. You get the OS free but we charge for Office subscriptions, Skype, and a large percentage of paid apps in the store (30% I think it is). Most likely the latter is how they see themselves recouping the cost.

I'd like to see them do free OS upgrades as it will keep the entire platform and ecosystem more in sync as well as create better overall security for the internet in general.

godbodian

@@techywarrior, I couldn't agree more. I guess I'm seeing it from the pragmatic and idealistic point of view that maybe tech companies have truly accepted and understand their need for balance and the concept that innovation can only rarely happen by consistently revamping one's own products. Apple became the largest company in existence, revenue wise, by the "innovation" of the music player and the smartphone (although Prada and LG technically created such first). Google maintains a postion of cutting edge dominance by a robust and dangerously inventive R&D department, and what appears as company culture that embodies an investment in any and every notion of innovation and inventiveness. Microsoft was in nearly a tailspin saved only by Xbox up to the moment about four years ago when they decided to ease their loyalties to the business sector and OEMs and dive into their own R&D department's goodies. Surface (the original), Kinect, VaporMg casings, the Surface tablet, etc., all of these hardware moved to foster the new Microsoft and new hardware like HoloLens will propel Microsoft into a greater future.

I mean in business everyone gets caught up in revenue streams but that's the issue of current levels of understanding in regards to them. Most tech people don't have business degrees and most business people don't have tech degrees, each have a limited and/or basic understanding and respect for the other. Their services much like Apple's services will eventually dwindle as those services will either become so ingrained in the experience that most consumers will expect them to be free or the hardware and tech itself will eclipse the need for the service all together by innovation. Current business models are trying to move tech from the inevitable outcome of consumer permanence, meaning tech so well-built that with exclusion of updates and patches, such does not "need" to be replaced. Look at Apple, the ONLY real reason people buy their new phones each cycle is due to the fanfair and at most, two or three new features (maybe), not the ACTUAL necessity. Services are the thing as you said because of their temporary nature but they cannot mainline your business unless your business is guaranteed via government signifying whatever service as an "utility", even with that designation the same issues apply just slower. (Think Cable TV and streaming Internet TV services.)

As wild as it sounds, Microsoft needs to just keep watching Sci-fi movies and figuring ways to bring those technologies to market in the form of hardware, that's the only real way to maintain their ecosystem and revenue. Services are rarely as important as the hardware they're utilized through.

godbodian

@@chef, it's all protection for their "services" revenues. Which is fine but all a systematic attempt to protect the old paradigm of media creation and media sales. I'll be glad when they realize that there's no way to stop or limit access to media. So a provision for user control content is just as necessary and their provisions for their own content and control.

@@chef, it's all protection for their "services" revenues. Which is fine but all a systematic attempt to protect the old paradigm of media creation and media sales. I'll be glad when they realize that there's no way to stop or limit access to media. So a provision for user control content is just as necessary and their provisions for their own content and control.

Agreed. I was surprised to learn that the original windows 8 OS inside Xbox 1 did not ship with a media player. I am glad they made the decision to rectify that.

WMC exists on Windows 10 tech preview 2.  You have to go back in as an option and install it, but it is there.  Slightly different version # then Windows 8.1, but I can't tell what is changed if at all.

The bigger perk of this - and the reason why I looked into it is that MS is promoting bi-directional streaming; that is to say, the XBOX1 will allow a stream from a Win10 PC.. if this works as they project, it will allow the XBOX1 to work as a stream target.

This is untestable, but it would be the first chance to update my media center and use my XB1 as an extender, a welcome thing that would let me toss an XBOX360

Deihmos

WMC exists on Windows 10 tech preview 2. You have to go back in as an option and install it, but it is there. Slightly different version # then Windows 8.1, but I can't tell what is changed if at all.

The bigger perk of this - and the reason why I looked into it is that MS is promoting bi-directional streaming; that is to say, the XBOX1 will allow a stream from a Win10 PC.. if this works as they project, it will allow the XBOX1 to work as a stream target.

This is untestable, but it would be the first chance to update my media center and use my XB1 as an extender, a welcome thing that would let me toss an XBOX360

What do you mean you have to go back in an option to install it? I don't understand what you are talking about. I tried the add feature using the key but it did not recognize it.

Edited by Deihmos

Please stop asking for WMC. It's buggy and made for a simpler time. Instead, ask for a backend for Windows 10 that aggregates tuners and streams them to Smartglass (or any other dedicated universal app) and/or Xbox via OneGuide and the TV App.

• Like 2

Which build are you looking at?  Anyway, we'll have to wait and see.

Frankly, the only person out there with anything that is cablecard certified right now is Microsoft.. it's them or nothing.   The moment someone else comes up with software that connects to my SiliconDust and will act as a DVR for HBO/Showtime etc. I'll switch.. until then, there aren't many options.. and for those that have used WMC and complain about it.. spend any time messing with a time warner cable box and you'll beg for the clean and centrally located method of WMC is

Deihmos

Which build are you looking at? Anyway, we'll have to wait and see.

Frankly, the only person out there with anything that is cablecard certified right now is Microsoft.. it's them or nothing. The moment someone else comes up with software that connects to my SiliconDust and will act as a DVR for HBO/Showtime etc. I'll switch.. until then, there aren't many options.. and for those that have used WMC and complain about it.. spend any time messing with a time warner cable box and you'll beg for the clean and centrally located method of WMC is

You still did not say how you got WMC on windows 10. You seem to be the only one on the internet reporting that it is included. I used the latest build 9926.

dark_slayer

Please stop asking for WMC. It's buggy and made for a simpler time. Instead, ask for a backend for Windows 10 that aggregates tuners and streams them to Smartglass (or any other dedicated universal app) and/or Xbox via OneGuide and the TV App.

Lol

You know that a couple years ago the only people who used mediabrowser were WMC users, some installed WMC just to get mediabrowser ;)

Yep, I am one of those. I'm still "stuck" on Windows 7 because of WMC for live Tv and how good MB is inside WMC. This is why I'm saying to stop asking for WMC. I want something better ^^

Heckler

I for one would like to see W10 work out of the box with all media files... with no need to mess around installing and setting up various codecs, with a way to control subs with ease.

techywarrior

Yep, I am one of those. I'm still "stuck" on Windows 7 because of WMC for live Tv and how good MB is inside WMC. This is why I'm saying to stop asking for WMC. I want something better ^^

Well, MS isn't going to make something better because broadcast TV is in the decline. The "something better" MS made is Xbox One. You may not feel it's better, or has the same functionality, or be what you want but that's what MS is focusing it's efforts on right now for the living room.

dark_slayer

Yeah pass through hdmi with the Xbox one

The "cheaper-than-renting" cable box route didn't work out, so instead focusing on and doubling down on better selling devices at high prices without any cost savings may be the new name of the game

gthrift

Which build are you looking at?  Anyway, we'll have to wait and see.

Frankly, the only person out there with anything that is cablecard certified right now is Microsoft.. it's them or nothing.   The moment someone else comes up with software that connects to my SiliconDust and will act as a DVR for HBO/Showtime etc. I'll switch.. until then, there aren't many options.. and for those that have used WMC and complain about it.. spend any time messing with a time warner cable box and you'll beg for the clean and centrally located method of WMC is

Android TV is supposed to be cable card ready, i think.

everdark81

I am currently running MB Server on the Windows 10 Enterprise Preview in a VM, and it seems to be running perfectly. This is my first experience with MB, so I don't have a comparison baseline, but I have to say, I am extremely impressed.

everdark81

I for one would like to see W10 work out of the box with all media files... with no need to mess around installing and setting up various codecs, with a way to control subs with ease.

Windows 10 will natively support MKV and FLAC (http://news.softpedia.com/news/Windows-10-to-Feature-Native-Support-for-MKV-and-FLAC-465892.shtml).

That's a great start to universal support. Haven't seen any issues with MKV, MP4, and AVI video files as far as audio playback is concerned.

• Like 1

techywarrior

They are going to natively support the MKV container but I don't think they are adding any additional video codecs. So it will be better, but third party codec packs will still be needed for things like xvid to work inside an MKV container.

The nice thing is that since Win10 is completely unifying their multiple device specific OSes we should see MKV and FLAC on Xbox One and Windows Phone (phone support for FLAC already confirmed by MS)

jhoff80

Windows 10 will natively support MKV and FLAC (http://news.softpedia.com/news/Windows-10-to-Feature-Native-Support-for-MKV-and-FLAC-465892.shtml).

That's a great start to universal support. Haven't seen any issues with MKV, MP4, and AVI video files as far as audio playback is concerned.

They are going to natively support the MKV container but I don't think they are adding any additional video codecs. So it will be better, but third party codec packs will still be needed for things like xvid to work inside an MKV container.

The nice thing is that since Win10 is completely unifying their multiple device specific OSes we should see MKV and FLAC on Xbox One and Windows Phone (phone support for FLAC already confirmed by MS)

MKV is already on Xbox One as well.  The problem is like you say, specific codec support.  Subtitles and non Dolby Digital audio aren't supported in MKV right now on any of Microsoft's platforms.  It's been hinted in the XBox Preview Forum that maybe Microsoft is working on DTS support for the Xbox.  However, they are already licensing DTS for the Xbox (for the Blu-ray player), so that might end up being different from Windows 10 for pc/large tablets and Windows 10 for phones/small tablets.