Managing & Playing different file types

bnwbass
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

Hello all,

Need some advice here as it applies to movie files from different sources.  I have ~250 DVD library all ripped in file structure format. I use TMT6 for these file types without issues.

I also have ~150 apple movies (Mv4) downloaded in another library and added to the MB3 media collection just as you would any other collection.

Here's the issue, as you know apple movies proprietary requires user and pass account to play in iTunes/quicktime.  Once the computer is added to the apple account all is good if you play directly from iTunes.  However, since these files are part of the MB3 server collection and accessible from the MBC theme I want to play directly from MBC.  Along with TMT6 I have added iTunes as another external player and specified Mv4 file type only for this player. 

This presents a problem when playing MB trailers since trailers are Mv4/ACC file types and when ever their launched from MBC the iTunes screen pops up but does not execute the function to play directly.  I guess to sum it up,  for those of you who have apple movies added to the collection using MB3 how do you manage and play files using iTunes?

thx

Bw

Maybe not.  I certainly haven't tried it.

The only thought I have here is that maybe you can trick the system.  You could mark these movies as 3D and then setup iTunes to only play 3D movies.  If they are all in one parent folder, then you can add the 3d tag to that folder and everything under it would be interpreted as 3D.

So by looking at the Knowledge base  I see:

3D Videos
Any video can be marked as 3D by placing one of the following tags within the filename:

• [fsbs] - Full side by side
  • [ftab] - Full top and bottom
  • [hsbs] - Half side by side
  • [htab] - Half top and bottom

This will indicate the 3D format, which will be needed when streaming video and extracting images. The MB2 conventions of [3d] and [sbs3d] are still supported and will default to HSBS.

Alternatively this can be done by editing metadata within the server dashboard.  

So from the dashboard, under my apple collection/edit, what exactly would I enter when I select "add tag"? 

Please give example.  Sorry for lack of knowledge here.

Bw

Edited by bnwbass

Oh... so I would need to apply this to each file in the collection one at a time?  Any way to treat the entire collection if all are in parent directory with this change?

Also, what would be an example and use for the TAG field below?

52758584d3924_edit1.jpg

Redshirt

At this time yes you need to label every item's 3d format. If you have a folder that contains movies that are all the same format. I believe you can just add the 3d value to the parent folder name. ie: \\server\3d movies [hsbs]\alice in wonderland and all children will be treated as hsbs.

You could open a feature request to have Luke add the 3d dropdown to the metadata editor for folders so that it can be done from a gui.

• Solution

If you use the web interface, yes, you would have to do every item.  If, however, you use the method I suggested (and the one you posted the details for) you don't.  Just put [3D] in the name of the parent folder (physically within the file system).

• Like 2

crashkelly

If you use the web interface, yes, you would have to do every item.  If, however, you use the method I suggested (and the one you posted the details for) you don't.  Just put [3D] in the name of the parent folder (physically within the file system).

I followed exactly the process that ebr mentioned to get a different cover treatment for my 3D movies than I had for other things. In my case all of my 3D movies were stored on two drives so I created two profiles and applied the same treatment to both. All the movies lived under parent folders that were called "Blu-Ray 3D [3D]".

As ebr mentioned this will work for whatever you want to do as putting [3D] at the end of the parent folder name just classifies all children as that, regardless of what they actually are, and lets you apply specific to them based upon that.

Cheers

EDIT: Sorry, after re-reading stuff the purpose of my post might have been a bit off. However, the technique can apply to many thing in MB3 and speaks to the power of classification of items. Cheers

Edited by crashkelly