Metadata Manager - Folders are now missing

dejavux2
Go to solution Solved by dejavux2,

dejavux2

My Server upgraded to Version 3.0.5490.2 last night.  Ever since then, when I go to the Metadata Manager, none of my folders are showing up.  I cannot get to any folders.  There is one item at the top that says "Media Folders", but nothing happens when I click on it.

I tried restarting the server, but the same thing is happening.

Edited by dejavux2

well according to this, it looks like your'e still on the previous version?

do you have any older logs that might have more clues in them?

godbodian

The newest update is confusing to say the least... I'm certain the devs have something great planned but it's difficult to see in this update because although I'm sure it's not buggy, this update has the appearance of being troublesome because some (myself included) seem to lose functionality in regards to how the library presents itself.

techywarrior

The newest update is confusing to say the least... I'm certain the devs have something great planned but it's difficult to see in this update because although I'm sure it's not buggy, this update has the appearance of being troublesome because some (myself included) seem to lose functionality in regards to how the library presents itself.

You don't lose functionality. It just requires some manual settings to top level folders that wasn't required before.

But yes, this is going to have lots of benefits in the future (unfortunately most people will never know since the new features will be more seamless).

techywarrior

I'll try but it will depend on your exact folder structure.

The short of it is that if you have a complex structure (multi level nested or mixed content) you may need to use the metadata manager to change the folder to TV or Movie (based on what it is).

If it's nested you can mark the folder above the actual TV folder. If it's mixed you may have to mark each individual folder. (or possibly mark the top level folder as the most common and then individually adjust the other type)

If you post an example of your folder structure we can probably give more exact instructions/help.

Edited by techywarrior

dejavux2

I understand the 'multi level nested or mixed content' change.  But I cannot get to the Metadata Manager to make any changes.  As I see it, using the Web App, my content is still showing correctly.  I still need to fix a couple of names, but it's all showing.  My problem is not seeing anything in the Metadata Manager.

godbodian

The Theater Files

• The Equalizer (2014)
  • Rio 2 (2014)
  • Blackish
  • Marvel's Agent Carter

I don't separate the television series (meaning grouping all tv shows into one file folder) and the movies into separate folders.

I can explain this way. For every media, meaning a movie or a full TV show (regardless of seasons) there is a folder. ie. Rio 2 (2014) and/or The Cosby Show. Within that folder are the usual folders and metadata fetched and held with making that media work and look presentable. All of those main folders regardless of being movies or tv shoes are placed within one folder on a storage device. ie. \\The Theater Files.

I hope that's clearer.

Edited by godbodian

yea that's really odd. i wonder if it's actually just a script error in the browser. do you have another browser to test with just for comparison sake? thanks.

techywarrior

I understand the 'multi level nested or mixed content' change.  But I cannot get to the Metadata Manager to make any changes.  As I see it, using the Web App, my content is still showing correctly.  I still need to fix a couple of names, but it's all showing.  My problem is not seeing anything in the Metadata Manager.

Yea, sorry. I think this thread is slightly getting derailed. Your issue is different from the ones that people are having on the new stable release.

techywarrior

No I do not.  This is the only browser I use:  IE10...

Can the update be forced to run again?

In the web dashboard you can go to Advanced and then Scheduled Tasks, click on the "check for updates". Or you can run the installer from the web site again.

techywarrior

The Theater Files

• The Equalizer (2014)
  • Rio 2 (2014)
  • Blackish
  • Marvel's Agent Carter

I don't separate the television series (meaning grouping all tv shows into one file folder) and the movies into separate folders.

Is there a reason you don't separate them? Unfortunately I think you may have a little more work to do if everything is in one giant folder (Luke can confirm) but you will need to set "The Theater Files" to Movie and then individually set the TV shows to TV. Or vice versa.

Unless you have a reason for that structure though I'd highly recommend splitting it into two folders. Then you could add one to the Movie library and one to the TV library and not have to do any work. But I understand that some people use nested folders to organize their media. If that is the case you just need to do some extra manual marking in the metadata manager.

dejavux2

I downloaded and installed the latest release, and the same thing is happening....  No folders in the Metadata Manager...

godbodian
techywarrior, on 13 Jan 2015 - 12:54 AM, said:

Is there a reason you don't separate them? Unfortunately I think you may have a little more work to do if everything is in one giant folder (Luke can confirm) but you will need to set "The Theater Files" to Movie and then individually set the TV shows to TV. Or vice versa.

Unless you have a reason for that structure though I'd highly recommend splitting it into two folders. Then you could add one to the Movie library and one to the TV library and not have to do any work. But I understand that some people use nested folders to organize their media. If that is the case you just need to do some extra manual marking in the metadata manager.

Okay when you say marking, exactly what do you mean? I'm asking because I don't use MBS to fetch my metadata. So I'm hoping if I understand correctly, that if I place all my TV shows into a folder separate of the movies, I can then in the Library settings of MBS set each grouping to their "unmixed" format settings and then be okay? Right? Sheesh... LOL

techywarrior

Latest log file:  attachicon.gifserver-63556707336.txt

Luke, could the apostrophe in "Kid's Movies" be causing a problem or is it being properly escaped in the JSON? That might be a reason that his server works but the metadata manager is empty.

dejavux2

Is this something new?  That has been called "Kid's Movies" and "Kid's TV" since MB1...

Not that I'm not willing to change it...

Edited by dejavux2