Windows? Why? Take a look at MB home page...all mobile

marcisikoff

marcisikoff

Tried the FreeNAS plugin with MBC and was a total disaster.  Then knowing I work in media and looked at the marketing it's clear MB went the way of Microsoft and wanted all things tablet/mobile but will never admit it.

So I'm back to MB 2.6 which as they tell me is a fragile, brittle, ticking timebomb....which has been running fine for 2+ years with zero issues (memory, stability, or corruption).

So in short, MB decided the world is moving to all but Windows and I cannot recommend a Windows version of their software at this point.  Shame.

wraslor

I'm not even sure what you're trying to say here.  media browser classic is basically mb 2.6+  I've been using it on win 7, win 8 both without a problem since release.  You should give more details and maybe someone could help you figure out the problem?

• Like 1

Tried the FreeNAS plugin with MBC and was a total disaster.  Then knowing I work in media and looked at the marketing it's clear MB went the way of Microsoft and wanted all things tablet/mobile but will never admit it.

So I'm back to MB 2.6 which as they tell me is a fragile, brittle, ticking timebomb....which has been running fine for 2+ years with zero issues (memory, stability, or corruption).

So in short, MB decided the world is moving to all but Windows and I cannot recommend a Windows version of their software at this point.  Shame.

Hi and welcome to the MB community.

Can you please give us more information? So we can help you further?

CashMoney

I'm not even sure what you're trying to say here.  media browser classic is basically mb 2.6+  I've been using it on win 7, win 8 both without a problem since release.  You should give more details and maybe someone could help you figure out the problem?

Ditto :)

I think he's just saying that MB3 has shifted gears more towards mobile devices than Windows devices. he's saying that even the MB3 website ("homepage") displays all mobile devices. 

I have to partly agree with him to an extent as, even though I use MB3 on all my devices PC and mobile, there is a lack of advancement in the MBT develpment when compared to mobile apps. I've been using MB for years and have been waiting to be able to ditch media center (which I hate), I figured MBT would be my way out but the development on it or at least updated releases has halted. Dont get me wrong, I still use MBT instead of classic {as I said, hate media center) but its still glitchy, missing features and the lack of ability to launch PC games like MB classic sucks

I think he's just saying that MB3 has shifted gears more towards mobile devices than Windows devices. he's saying that even the MB3 website ("homepage") displays all mobile devices. 

I have to partly agree with him to an extent as, even though I use MB3 on all my devices PC and mobile, there is a lack of advancement in the MBT develpment when compared to mobile apps. I've been using MB for years and have been waiting to be able to ditch media center (which I hate), I figured MBT would be my way out but the development on it or at least updated releases has halted. Dont get me wrong, I still use MBT instead of classic {as I said, hate media center) but its still glitchy, missing features and the lack of ability to launch PC games like MB classic sucks

We are working on MBT....

• Like 1

I know its being worked on but I'm just saying I can see marcisikoff's frustration on the windows end. MBT has been getting worked on for quite a while without any significant updates released, heck it still can barely handle music correctly, where as the MB3 blog is constantly posting about updates to android, roku, etc.

Hmm, very first picture on the MB home page shows a desktop TV/Monitor:

54b1a90e03ce6_mb.png

Then there is a TV showing MB on the wall right behind the words "Media Apps to Fit Your Lifestyle".

Then there is the Windows logo at the bottom of that same section.

Do we need to show a CPU tower or something to be more clear?  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

CBers

Hi and welcome to the MB community.

Can you please give us more information? So we can help you further?

Some people just can't be helped.

Latchmor

Yeah, I couldn't be sure what the point was to start with either but looking up previous posts for some clarity it would appear there hasn't been much positivity from day one. Hopefully something will work for him soon.

As for the Windows stuff, like wraslor my Windows 7 server and MBC clients have been great since the beginning really.

Beardyname

I know its being worked on but I'm just saying I can see marcisikoff's frustration on the windows end. MBT has been getting worked on for quite a while without any significant updates released, heck it still can barely handle music correctly, where as the MB3 blog is constantly posting about updates to android, roku, etc.

have been using MBT from day 1 and it works just fine :) I won't deny it needs work but now i think you are a bit harsh ;)

Hi, and allow me to cut into this conversation about Windows stuff.

The first screen on mediabrowser.tv does show a TV, but because it only shows a tablet and a phone, people may not think a HTPC is supported  Only when you click on the tablet, you get more choices including  two Windows PC items  -  MB Clasic  and MB Theatre.  What are they? What is the difference?? They don't tell you. You have to download.

Thaat's what I am doing, but it won't install because it wants a Sign In.  I have an account but it will not accept it.  Good start.

cheers

sorry, can't work out how to increase the font size - doesn't work.

Edited by jfranek

Schroinx

I think many still are using their windows based HTPC as the primary device to watch movies at home and while it seems as focus has shifted to provide all sorts of mobile versions and streaming to wherever you are in the world, the core offering has suffered. I have spend af lot of time getting MBT to run nicely and it is anything but stable or easy to setup. I think I reinstalled it at least five-ten times yesterday because of different errors. The userinterface is not as slick as MBS/web and as example support for the MCE remote lacks stuff such as using the letters to jump to movies starting with that letter, and some other smaller things that would make it easier to use. The latest upgrade to MBT incorporating more settings and build-in madVR is an improvement, so things does happen, thou many may not see it. I know MB is free software and appreciate the work being done by all you guys, but I can also recognise OPs frustrations when more mobile clients and server ports are being offered, while the core offer does not have the function or stability one could wish for.

Beardyname

I think many still are using their windows based HTPC as the primary device to watch movies at home and while it seems as focus has shifted to provide all sorts of mobile versions and streaming to wherever you are in the world, the core offering has suffered. I have spend af lot of time getting MBT to run nicely and it is anything but stable or easy to setup. I think I reinstalled it at least five-ten times yesterday because of different errors. The userinterface is not as slick as MBS/web and as example support for the MCE remote lacks stuff such as using the letters to jump to movies starting with that letter, and some other smaller things that would make it easier to use. The latest upgrade to MBT incorporating more settings and build-in madVR is an improvement, so things does happen, thou many may not see it. I know MB is free software and appreciate the work being done by all you guys, but I can also recognise OPs frustrations when more mobile clients and server ports are being offered, while the core offer does not have the function or stability one could wish for.

Agreed except for the part where MBC is the same as it has always been, but with actually more features :)

Schroinx

But this latest news mail expresses the problem in a nutshell. Nothing about MBT, it's not even mentioned, while many less important things are. Why should people use MB3 if they do not have a player that work with setup in the living room. Then it doesn't matter how many ports are made of the server and mobile clients and how many different plugins. Sorry to say it, but the living room is the primary place to watch movies, so that should work as one of the first things.

As many of you know, we have a lot of really smart people contributing here. Many have stepped up in recent months to help with a number of projects, notably the Linux and FreeBSD releases you're all enjoying. Now it's time to acknowledge other great things that are happening in our community and introduce you to some new faces. If you're knowledgeable in these areas or would like to help test, then jump right in!

Https support - Jabbera

This will be coming sooner than we originally planned thanks to Jabbera. Read more: http://mediabrowser....7-https-support

GPU Transcoding - mjb2000

This has been long requested, and mjb2000 is helping out to bring it to us. See http://mediabrowser....gpu-transcoding

Live TV via Media Portal - ChubbyArse

Two worlds collide with this plugin. See: http://mediabrowser....-tv-plugin-v10/

Live TV via DVB Link - t.andre

This has been very heavily requested. To help out see: http://mediabrowser....live-tv-plugin/

MB Upcoming Chrome Extension - Angelblue05

Displays your upcoming episodes as a browser extension: http://mediabrowser....hrome-extension

Web Client Customization - rthomas

Sharing his favorite tips and tricks. See http://mediabrowser....ips-and-tricks/

GameBrowser Tutorials - shaefurr

He's been working hard on both written and video guides. See http://mediabrowser....ater-and-games/

In my opinion MBT is not the future ,  MBC is still the best option when it comes to running a dedicated HTPC.

I been a htpc user since before color tv was invented using all kinds of media center software. The first real revolution was when gpu decoding started to go mainstream and it was possible to build a low power nocieless box and it made sense to have backend server stuffed away out of sight. MB server fits right into this concept and now with the server side beeing available on multiple platforms it's never been easier to make good use of all that hardware.  

The thing that is happening/ has happend now with clients on every thinkable appliance is even better , to be able to enjoy my media on my phone , tablet , tv , laptop  or whatever device I happen to use is just great. My hptc is long gone from the livingroom and replaced by the ability to remote play just about anything using the build in DLNA support of my TV, It still require quite a powerfull server but with gpu supported transcoding on it's way that might change soon.

The open api of MB3 has made MB3 a choice for hardcore xbmc and Media portal fans , the growing number of sources for tv  and other content also is also on the + side.

I wonder when we will see the first commercial media outlet like netflix , hulu etc support MB3 ?

No one watches media on their htpc , they are watching it on a screen.

If it is powered by a build in DLNA client , a computer running MBT/MBC, roku , Chromecast or anyting else does not matter. 

Edited by HomerS
  • Like 2

Not had any issues with MBT at all its a great program. I have MBC installed as well but this is for the kids only as it will launch on start up and they can use the green button. As soon as MBT has these features then bye bye MBC

Spaceboy

In my opinion MBT is not the future , MBC is still the best option when it comes to running a dedicated HTPC.

I been a htpc user since before color tv was invented using all kinds of media center software. The first real revolution was when gpu decoding started to go mainstream and it was possible to build a low power nocieless box and it made sense to have backend server stuffed away out of sight. MB server fits right into this concept and now with the server side beeing available on multiple platforms it's never been easier to make good use of all that hardware.

The thing that is happening/ has happend now with clients on every thinkable appliance is even better , to be able to enjoy my media on my phone , tablet , tv , laptop or whatever device I happen to use is just great. My hptc is long gone from the livingroom and replaced by the ability to remote play just about anything using the build in DLNA support of my TV, It still require quite a powerfull server but with gpu supported transcoding on it's way that might change soon.

The open api of MB3 has made MB3 a choice for hardcore xbmc and Media portal fans , the growing number of sources for tv and other content also is also on the + side.

I wonder when we will see the first commercial media outlet like netflix , hulu etc support MB3 ?

No one watches media on their htpc , they are watching it on a screen.

If it is powered by a build in DLNA client , a computer running MBT/MBC, roku , Chromecast or anyting else does not matter.

Sorry, you lost me when you said you were using a htpc in the 1960s

• Like 2

CBers

I been a htpc user since before color tv was invented using all kinds of media center software.

You must have had a large lounge to host your HTPC. Colour TV wasn't available until late 60's/early 70s.

• Like 1

You must have had a large lounge to host your HTPC. Colour TV wasn't available until late 60's/early 70s.

It looked much like this one  :P

1920px-Cray_2_Arts_et_Metiers_dsc03940.j

• Like 3

BATTLE DONKEY

Its not the MB3 team that is focused on mobile applications, its us as a society that is more focused on mobile applications. There is nobody on the development team aiming a gun and saying we need more mobile apps, its just that as we grow more and more accustomed to having a PC in our pocket of course developers in their own free time are also more inclined to put something together that we can also take around with us.

Home HTPC's are always going to be around, we can't compare MBTheatre to xbmc/kodi or Plex because they've had 10 years and many developers put in time and effort to make them what they are today.

2 years ago I thought WMC + MB2 was the best it was going to get for my needs, yet @@Luke has put together an incredible back end server that has so many possibilities and room to grow, @@ebr still manages to breath new life into wmc (and honestly I don't understand how they don't have Microsoft employees kicking down their doors to completely overhaul wmc) and with some time and room to grow MBTheater has potential to grow leaps and bounds above the competition because of all the talented developers who have come on board.

Mobile phones and tablets are here to stay, and because we love them so much so do the developers who devote time to creating them. HTPC's will get the same love with some time. Telling someone 10 years ago we would be streaming movies in HD to our phones while riding a bus was probably enough to get locked up in a looney bin, so let's not point fingers and say why isn't this happening faster and why is there more progress over there. Let's just see what's in store next and be grateful for what we already have cause it will only get better

• Like 3

techywarrior

You also need to understand that when you create an app for the phone or roku, etc. that you are utilizing the APIs they have, and in some cases the entire video player that is already built. MBT requires all of that stuff to be built from scratch so it's a much larger project.

MBT was also largely overhauled so that it would be easier/faster to work on in the future as well as be able to add features and functionality that were expected. This has delayed it as well. (but it was really required)

There are still solutions currently to using MB3 on a living room HTPC. It's just that it's own HTPC frontend (MBT) isn't ready for prime time yet (but some people still use it with success). Many people use WMC with MBC or Kodi with XBM3C, or even MBT on their living room computers.

I too eagerly await the day that MBT is read for prime time so I can ditch MP & MCE totally. I'd be happy to donate to encourage more devs to work on it :-)

MB3 is such an awesome platform, I feel that "dumbing it down" via MP plugins does MB3 a dis-service. 

Edited by Griffo

balkerman

I have used wmc with mb2 and now mb3 for many years. In my view and my usage, mbc is no different than mb2. Mbc runs and plays the same as mb2 did. Yes, there have been many improvements but i could run mb2 and my family would not know the difference.

Ps: i have always used the same theme and an external player in mb2 and mbc.

Mbc meets my needs, its great. Just as mb2 did and was.

Edited by balkerman