Metadata not fetched automatically

Bear on the job

Bear on the job

I've been having this issue with MBS for a few months now, and can't seem to find a proper solution for it. Current MBS version is 3.0.5482.1, but this has been happening since at least September. 

When I add new movies to my library, the files are not identified automatically and no metadata is ever fetched. When I browse my movie library, the file is accessible in media browser, but it only displays the filename with no image or descriptive text. I am following naming conventions from https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Movie%20naming, using a directory structure like "\Movies\<name>.<year>.<format>\<name>.<year>.<format>.mkv".

Now, if I go into the single movie, and select Options > Refresh, the metadata will be retrieved properly and everything is fine. Alternatively, I can go into the Metadata Manager, select the Movies section, and do an Advanced Refresh on the entire section, which will also fetch the proper data (Normal Refresh in the Metadata Manager does not work though).

Rarely though, refreshing alone does not fetch any metadata. For these movies I have to manually go into Options > Edit > Identify, and search for the movie. Strangely, I can just click the search button without editing any fields, and the first result is always the proper one.

So my question is, can I automate this in any way? I thought MBS would do all this fetching when it detects the new movie file in my library. But is seems to require manual intervention, either by hitting the refresh button, or manually searching for the movie. But is there someway I can tell it to always grab the metadata when the file is detected? And always grab the first matching result from the search? 

Bear on the job

I don't believe that convention is listed in the document you referenced...

Yeah I just read it again...Which part might cause problems though? The <format> portion of the filename (I use this for some 3D movies), or that the folder and .mkv files both have the same name?

Also, as I described, the matching seems to work properly...it just requires me to press the refresh button for it to happen. If the format was unrecognizable, the manual refresh wouldn't work either, right?

Thanks.

Edited by Bear on the job

The whole thing is not really following the proper format.  If you want all the information in the name that you have now it should be formatted as

movie name (year) [format].ext

So:

The Godfather (1972) [720]

Or:

Bear on the job

To update, I've added some extra code to my movie processing scripts, and I am now following the naming convention properly, that being:

"\Movies$\<movie name> (<movie year>)\<raw filename>.mkv"

I'm still having the same issues though. When the movie is added to the library, MBS detects the file and adds it to the library using the folder name. But it never fetches the metadata automatically, it still requires manual intervention to refresh the data.

I'm running server version 3.0.5490.2, and I've included some logs here, please let me know if they are helpful. I'm going to add a few more movies to the library to test if there is better success, and will post more logs.

Also, please don't take this as a dig because I love your software...but I have Plex running on the same server (I use it to host some TV-based clients), and Plex gets the movies and metadata right every time. I know you're improving the MBS scraper, but the accuracy is still pretty low, for me at least.

server-63556928925.txt

server-63556928949.txt

Bear on the job

Yes, so this was just added yesterday, and it didn't identify it automatically:

\Movies$\Leviathan (2014)\Leviathan.2014.RUSSIAN.ENSUBS.1080p.WEB-DL.DD5.1.H264-RUFGT.mkv

Choosing "Options > Refresh" caused MBS to fetch metadata, but it identified the wrong movie (it matched against Leviathan 2013). I had to manually identify the movie from the metadata manager to correct it. 

Deathsquirrel

Do you have the problem when you follow EBR's suggestion and use the standard naming convention?  Using his example above that would mean the movie would look like this:

\Movies$\Leviathan (2014)\Leviathan (2014) [1080].mkv

If so, what is your Preferred Language set to in the admin console?  This is under the Server section on the Settings tab.  I've read that changing that away from English causes the scraper to try to find a metadata match in that language and that data is frequently not populated...though the fact that it shows up on refresh makes this less likely to be your issue.

Do you have the problem when you follow EBR's suggestion and use the standard naming convention?  Using his example above that would mean the movie would look like this:

\Movies$\Leviathan (2014)\Leviathan (2014) [1080].mkv

If so, what is your Preferred Language set to in the admin console?  This is under the Server section on the Settings tab.  I've read that changing that away from English causes the scraper to try to find a metadata match in that language and that data is frequently not populated...though the fact that it shows up on refresh makes this less likely to be your issue.

his naming convention is fine. we can handle that. it will be fixed for the next release.

• Like 1

ginjaninja

I use 'The Renamer' to automatically rename movies and TV shows. It takes the guesswork out of it and supports mass renaming..

http://therenamer.com/

when i give it

BBC.Fred.Dibnahs.Building.of.Britain.1of6.Mighty.Cathedrals.576p.HDTV.x264.AAC.MVGroup.org.mkv

it says the episode has no title...despite the hyper link taking me to the season in tvdb with titles...

when i give it.

BBC.Fred.Dibnahs.Building.of.Britain.2of6.The.Art.of.Castle.Building.576p.HDTV.x264.AAC.MVGroup.org.mkv

it says unknown show...

can you  make it work..tvrename 2.2.4 seems more bullet proof.

• 3 weeks later...
merc1212

I have been having the same issue for several months as well.  Was beginning to think I was alone on this one.  Glad to see you are looking into it.  In my case, I think I have narrowed down the problem to .nfo files being saved in the same folder as the movie.

I've been using /<Name> (<year>)/<Name> (<year>).ext  since I installed MB3 a year or so ago.  For the first several months mb3 fetched all metadata automatically then sometime during the fall it stopped working for most movies.  The odd one will be picked up properly but the great majority require a manual refresh before the metadata is fetched properly.  

I finally got around to doing a little troubleshooting and strangely, I'm pretty sure .nfo files that are being unpacked and saved using the above naming convention in the movie folder are causing the issue.  If I ask Sab to cleanup the .nfo files after downloading the problem disappears. I've tried 3 movies so far and it seems to solve it for me.  Must have something to do with mb3 trying to pull metadata from the .nfo and getting held up since it isn't the type of .nfo it is expecting.

Perhaps I have a different issue then the OP, but hope this helps someone.