Unset general ? or tweak ?

Vicpa

Vicpa

Hi All,

I have a general usage question or perhaps a tweak suggestion for the new Unset media type.

My use case is pretty simple. For example.

54ad312bd3de5_Unset.png

The unset concept seems to make sense to me, I guess I just need some clarification.

I thought I would just set the type at the location level, TV or movie etc. it would inherit down to what was in those locations files or folders and I would get the nice flat level library view, icon for a movie, folder for a tv show. If there were variations under those locations(subfolders, movies in with tv series) I would then have to change the media type in the metadata manager and I would be good to go. File structure under those locations could be as simple or complex as desired (in my example pretty simple). Need more space, want a "true" mixed location folder view kinda thing add another location.

I couldn't seem to do this. Didn't understand what type was being inherited from where, short of setting a type on every item. The only way that kinda worked was to have one physical file location, two subdirectories tv and movies. and set the type at subdirectory, let the stuff under there inherit.

Am I missing something ? Having the folder type view is not ideal, but whatever. I realize that the server(read dev team :) ) need a fighting chance to handle mixed content!. But I would hate to lose the flexibility of the library concept. abstracting out the underling physical structure, multiple locations. etc.

The server is then told this location is this type of media unless you tell me otherwise and treats it accordingly.

Anyway if I am missing the obvious way to accomplish this (been known now, repeatedly for this) please let me know. If not, maybe it is a tweak to add to the list to think about.

Many thanks,