Metadata mangling after last update.

pgriffith

pgriffith

Hi all

1st Question, is there a way to disable server updates completely. The last 3 or 4 updates have all destroyed/changed metadata in a detrimental way. spending hours trying to repair is getting tedious.

The last update has decided to take my perfectly organised collection and randomly picked hundreds of movies and has classified them in Metadata manager (by adding a new drop down box above Path) to Inherit.

These movies have all the external ID information stripped from them, ie IMDB, Rotten Tomatoes, Collection ID etc. Which also means all my box sets are now broken. Also some have all the Overviews information stripped as well.

I can't refresh metadata on these movies until I select Movies from the drop down and then rescan the library and then go back into metadata manager and click identify to refetch all the missing info.

Also to be fair it decided to have a go at mangling some TV stuff as well. It identified a heap of shows as all new to the library and decided to show them all as just added. Also while doing that, decided to download all the episode images again and stick them in with the video files, despite the existing xml and jpg episode files already being in the the underlying metadata folder in the season folders.

All movies were part of the 'movie' media folder and the Content type was set to Movies, same as with the TV folder, but to TV obviously.

Is there any way to fix the movies, it will literally take me days to do it manually

Just had a more thorough look, looks like more movies than not have had that content type field added and are missing all the external info

..... frustrated 

hmm. try removing and re-adding the library. it seems somehow the content type is not getting respected, but if you remove and re-add it should fix it. then if you have local metadata, that should all get respected as well.

pgriffith

Well removing all my libraries worked, had to do Movies, TV and my Animated libraries.

This didn't change the fact that the update had somehow mangled over 70 movies all up, which had to be manually identified and have all the data re-fetched, took about 4 hours to repair. And then I had to do a full library fetch of only missing data as the collection ID had gone for nearly every movie.

Any idea why this happened ?

Also fetched thousands of TV episode images and put them in the root of the season folder and not under the metadata folder. Why would it suddenly decide to put them in a different location ? This essentially gave me thousands of new episodes. I did a mass delete of all images created on todays date and thankfully after re-adding the library back it seems to have behaved itself.

Also noticed there was a .1 update to Version 3.0.5482.1. What did this bring with it ?

Cheers

Lawrage

Just wanted to add the the latest server beta release 3.0.5482.0 has had a similar effect for me.

I have four libraries setup (Moves, TV, Anime Movies and Anime TV), both Anime Moves and Anime TV are all messed up. Normal Movies and TV seem unaffected by this.

Deleting the libraries and re-adding has rectified a lot of the issues (and yes watched status is fine) - a lot of cleanup work is now required.

Kinda interested in what happened here - is this due to having it set to beta perhaps?

Edited by Lawrage

Oh no!!! What a nightmare!! Mixed folders are a mess. All external ids have been stripped. This new method is not good for mixed folder users. Why the change?? Do I need to remove and re-add ?? Changing content type is not working and adding new content is not auto recognised which quite frankly is a pain. Can someone explain this new metadata structure for mixed folders?? What is inherit in content type?? Treat image as : seems to be messed up too!! When I change content type to movie or tv, nothing happens. Externals ids stay missing. Really frustrated with this change as have a massive library. Even by re adding mixed folders will I still have to change content type for each folder?..

• Like 1

Oh no!!! What a nightmare!! Mixed folders are a mess. All external ids have been stripped. This new method is not good for mixed folder users. Why the change?? Do I need to remove and re-add ?? Changing content type is not working and adding new content is not auto recognised which quite frankly is a pain. Can someone explain this new metadata structure for mixed folders?? What is inherit in content type?? Treat image as : seems to be messed up too!! When I change content type to movie or tv, nothing happens. Externals ids stay missing. Really frustrated with this change as have a massive library. Even by re adding mixed folders will I still have to change content type for each folder?..

If you can give us a quick overview of what your folders look like, we can suggest the best way to configure it.

scottsebring

The same thing happened to me.   It seems that the latest update changed all TV related folders (anything with a season subfolder or a series.xml) that I had to an "Inherit" status, ignored my existing series.xml file, generated a folder.xml file and proceeded to generate thousands of poster jpgs for each video file and ignored my metadata folders.  I ended up defining each show on the dropdown menu from "Inherit" to "TV" and saving the item (Ughh).  I then cleared out over 15,000 poster files and eventually the worthless folder.xml files.  Re scanned the library and although it said it was completed, it still took over 4 hours for the various shows to finally update with episode names, screenshots and so on.  All custom metadata that I had previously was ignored and wiped out so custom sorting, naming and so on was gone.  I haven't been able to check everything but after 2 days of hair pulling (and I don't have much to pull these days) I think my library is almost back to how it was.  So far I haven't seen a benefit in functionality from this latest update but then again it may be all background stuff.

Don't get me wrong.  I love the program but this latest update undid so much work blindly and my exhisting folder structures were text book organized to the good MB3 folks standards. Simply rescanning the library didn't do a thing nor did removing, re-adding and rescanning the libraries.

Hope this may help.

Edited by scottsebring

thealienamongus

Same thing here. My Documentaries folder is mixed with the majority being TV shows. After this update all the TV shows lost their metadata the movies did not. This is especially annoying because I have a quite a few customly written metadata, the XML's are still there thankfully (and backed up). Removing and Readding did not fix it. 

Folder structure: 

Documentaries

-TV Show

-- Season

--- Ep

- Movie

Beardyname

Same thing here. My Documentaries folder is mixed with the majority being TV shows. After this update all the TV shows lost their metadata the movies did not. This is especially annoying because I have a quite a few customly written metadata, the XML's are still there thankfully (and backed up). Removing and Readding did not fix it. 

Folder structure: 

Documentaries

-TV Show

-- Season

--- Ep

- Movie

for this go to the metadata-editor and set the content type on the individual folders.

Jobber8742

I've spent all day recovering from this mess as well. I have most of my folders up and running after hours of pointless work. It's not cool to totally wipe out existing data like that. Please don't make the program do that again. I don't feel like spending another day fixing the mess. What I don't understand is why the program was written to ignore the .xml files that already existed and take it upon itself to totally mess with the library? I'm still having issues with my home video folders. I had them set up with a TV Series like folder structure. The library type is Home Video. It recognized the structure before, now with this last update, it seems to refuse to recognize this and wants to make them folders and not use the .xml files I spent hours creating. 

• Like 1

Whats most frustrating is the total lack of warning that the 'accepted' folder structure for TV shows was changing and what the new structure would need to be ......... which has meant, in my case, a 'slew' of new folder.xml/series.xml/season.xml and jpg files being generated in folders which now have to be checked and corrected.

I understand and appreciate the development must move forward but a degree of notification about changes that WILL DRASTICALLY CHANGE files in your media folders would be helpful.

Beardyname

Whats most frustrating is the total lack of warning that the 'accepted' folder structure for TV shows was changing and what the new structure would need to be ......... which has meant, in my case, a 'slew' of new folder.xml/series.xml/season.xml and jpg files being generated in folders which now have to be checked and corrected.

I understand and appreciate the development must move forward but a degree of notification about changes that WILL DRASTICALLY CHANGE files in your media folders would be helpful.

not to be rude. but you mean an announcement like this? ;)http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/blog/1/entry-161-media-browser-server-beta-3054821-released/

the folder structure for TV remains unchanged, this affects only those running mixed types of library's.

not to be rude. but you mean an announcement like this? ;)http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/blog/1/entry-161-media-browser-server-beta-3054821-released/

the folder structure for TV remains unchanged, this affects only those running mixed types of library's.

Not to be rude but I read that ...... I don't have a problem with mixed media (in fact I never mentioned mixed media !!! ......... mine works fine) .................. The TV parsing has changed so now if you had a TV folder set up with a top level genre folder ie ............... TV Horror/Supernatural/Season 01/Ep 01. avi .... the new parsing would not read that but TV Horror would become the Series ... Supernatural the season etc etc ........... as you can imagine that affects a great many files when the server adds the series.xml files to season folders and new chapter jpgs etc etc .......... Hope that clears up what I was getting at.

Have a quick glance through the threads there are a few who have been affected by this ;) 

The two are the same issue.  It is this situation of organizational folders within TV content that is causing the problem and we are trying to refine the new functionality to be as painless as possible for this setup.

The situation is that it is impossible to support everything people want to do organizationally without some degree of manual intervention.  We are trying to limit that intervention as much as possible but it will still exist for a small set of people who do this with their TV folders.

The vast majority of people do not organize their TV folders this way and, for them, these changes improve several things - including the very common situation of adding new TV series which doesn't work well with the old system.  It also allows us to support new things people have been asking for like daily TV shows.

So, once it is all ironed out, the entire system will be better for everyone.  But some of you may need to manually tweak some things to get there.

AndyBak

Also suffering from this, I have two TV folder structures (Kids TV and standard) with the following format:-

\TV Folder\Show Name\Season #\Episodes

One appears to be fine whilst the other no longer shows any content via media browser and the the physical folder structure has had all its meta data changed and a huge number of JPGs added to the season folders.

In two minds whether I should try and fix/tidy up or leave for now in case further updates repeat. :(