Unable to play media - SMB Issue

johnodon

johnodon

GM all.

I am running MBS Version 3.0.5464.40000 in the officially supported Docker container in unRAID.  I am having issues playing content on all of the following Kodi/XBMC clients:

Windows 8.1 w/ Kodi/XBMB3C

Windows 8.1 w/ XBMC/XBMB3C

KodiBuntu Helix w/ XBMB3C

OpenELEC v5 w/ XBMB3C

OpenELEC v4 w/ XBMB3C

XBMCBuntu Gotham w/ XBMB3C

When I try to play any type of media, nothing happens.  This is what I see in the log:

09:32:05 T:4412  NOTICE: Thread DVDPlayer start, auto delete: false
09:32:05 T:4412  NOTICE: Creating InputStream
09:32:05 T:4412   ERROR: CDVDPlayer::OpenInputStream - error opening [/mnt/user/Movies/American Pie 2 (2001)/American Pie 2 (2001).mkv]
09:32:05 T:4412  NOTICE: CDVDPlayer::OnExit()
09:32:05 T:888   ERROR: Playlist Player: skipping unplayable item: 0, path [/mnt/user/Movies/American Pie 2 (2001)/American Pie 2 (2001).mkv]
09:32:05 T:888  NOTICE: CDVDPlayer::CloseFile()
09:32:05 T:888  NOTICE: DVDPlayer: waiting for threads to exit
09:32:05 T:888  NOTICE: DVDPlayer: finished waiting
09:32:06 T:888  NOTICE: CDVDPlayer::CloseFile()
09:32:06 T:888  NOTICE: DVDPlayer: waiting for threads to exit
09:32:06 T:888  NOTICE: DVDPlayer: finished waiting
09:32:06 T:4088  NOTICE: Thread FileCache start, auto delete: false
09:32:07 T:708  NOTICE: Previous line repeats 4 times.
09:32:07 T:708  NOTICE: ThemeThread playback complete restarting thread
09:32:07 T:3140  NOTICE: Thread FileCache start, auto delete: false

I was able to finally track this down to an issue with SMB.  If I try and browse my SMB network while in the XBMB3C plugin, I cannot see my WORKGROUP (it is not found).  If I browse the SMB network outside of XBMB3C (in Kodi iteself), I can see the network just fine and media plays without issue.  I'm not sure if it is relevant, but I DID set my SMB username/password in the XBMB3C plugin but that did not help.

I am able to play content without issue from any/all of my non-XBMB3C clients (web, MB Home Theater, etc.)

Has anyone seen this issue before?  BTW...I can see my library/fanart without issue.  Only playback is giving me grief.

What other information can I provide to help troubleshoot?

Thank you for your time!

John

Edited by johnodon

johnodon

Little more searching turned up this thread:  http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/11790-unable-to-play-any-media/?hl=smb&do=findComment&comment=141319

Same exact issue I am having and enabling 'Play from HTTP instead of SMB' resolves this problem.

Is there any idea why SMB is not working inside the plugin?

John

Edited by johnodon

xnappo

I think you need to use path substitution to add the machine name into this:

/mnt/user/

On the server, go to Settings->Library->Path Substitution.

The 'From' needs to be /mnt/user/.  The 'To' needs to be something like smb://<ipaddress>/mnt/user .

I haven't used the Linux server myself, but it will be something like that.  Hopefully you can use the native playback to figure out the exact 'To' path.

xnappo

johnodon

I think you need to use path substitution to add the machine name into this:

/mnt/user/

On the server, go to Settings->Library->Path Substitution.

The 'From' needs to be /mnt/user/.  The 'To' needs to be something like smb://<ipaddress>/mnt/user .

I haven't used the Linux server myself, but it will be something like that.  Hopefully you can use the native playback to figure out the exact 'To' path.

xnappo

Thanks for the guidance xnappo.  I added two path subs...

/mnt/user/TV --> smb://192.168.1.10/mnt/user/TV

/mnt/user/Movies --> smb://192.168.1.10/mnt/user/Movies

Unfortunately, this did not help.  I disabled 'Play from HTTP instead of SMB', restarted both the server and the client and I still cannot play media.  These are the messages I now see in the log:

13:27:29 T:6004  NOTICE: DVDPlayer: Opening: smb://192.168.1.10/mnt/user/Movies/300 (2006)/300 (2006).mkv
13:27:29 T:6004 WARNING: CDVDMessageQueue(player)::Put MSGQ_NOT_INITIALIZED
13:27:29 T:2224  NOTICE: Thread DVDPlayer start, auto delete: false
13:27:29 T:2224  NOTICE: Creating InputStream
13:27:31 T:2224   ERROR: Couldn't connect to \\192.168.1.10\mnt, error code 53
13:27:31 T:2224   ERROR: XFILE::CWINFileSMB::Open: Unable to open file smb://192.168.1.10/mnt/user/Movies/300 (2006)/300 (2006).mkv Error: 67
13:27:31 T:2224   ERROR: CDVDPlayer::OpenInputStream - error opening [smb://192.168.1.10/mnt/user/Movies/300 (2006)/300 (2006).mkv]
13:27:31 T:2224  NOTICE: CDVDPlayer::OnExit()
13:27:31 T:2224  NOTICE: CDVDPlayer::OnExit() deleting input stream
13:27:31 T:6004   ERROR: Playlist Player: skipping unplayable item: 0, path [smb://192.168.1.10/mnt/user/Movies/300 (2006)/300 (2006).mkv]

Anyway, I'm not quite clear how adding the path substitutions would correct the issue of simply trying to browse an SMB network.  I think there is a bigger issue at play here that is breaking SMB.  I am able to browse NFS shares without issue.

John

Edited by johnodon

im85288

I would advise bypassing SMB altogether if you can browse NFS shares successfully.

In your Path Substitution in the server settings map it to the NFS share instead of SMB and you don't need to worry about passwords etc with NFS.

johnodon

I would be curious to hear from others who are using the XBMB3C plugin with either Gotham or Helix.  All you have to do is try and add a new source and browse "Windows network (SMB)" to see if you can see any other devices.  I get a big fat 0 where in native XBMC/Kodi I can see 8 - 10 devices.

BTW...don't know why I didn't think to look at this before...here are the errors that are captured in the log at the moment when I try and browse the SMB network:

14:11:39 T:5716   ERROR: WnetOpenEnum failed with error 53
14:11:39 T:5716   ERROR: WnetOpenEnum failed with error 1222

John

johnodon

I would advise bypassing SMB altogether if you can browse NFS shares successfully.

In your Path Substitution in the server settings map it to the NFS share instead of SMB and you don't need to worry about passwords etc with NFS.

Ahhh...I didn't even know that NFS was an option.  I'll give that a shot.

However,I would highly suggest that the SMB issue get its due attention as I imagine that NFS will not be an option for everyone.

John

xnappo

I don't get what you mean.  'Browse network (SMB)' has nothing to do with the plugin?

There are lots of people using it with SMB - I assure you it is solvable.  But NFS is easier.

I think it is probably that you needed to add your username/password:

smb://User:Password@<ip>/<path>

But again - easier to just use NFS

Edited by xnappo

johnodon

I don't get what you mean.  'Browse network (SMB)' has nothing to do with the plugin?

There are lots of people using it with SMB - I assure you it is solvable.  But NFS is easier.

If I disable the XBMB3C plugin, I am able to see other devices via SMB without issue.  If I enable the plugin, I get the errors shown above an I can no longer see the other devices.

And yes...the NFS path subs work like a charm so i will stick with that.

John

• 7 months later...
Capt.Insano

Just incase you have not solved this, I stumbled across this thread looking for a solution myself. I am also using Emby in an unRAID Docker environment and wanted to view my media over SMB instead of Http.

My solution is as follows:

Use Path Substitution as follows

/mnt/user/TV Shows                     \\TOWER\TV Shows

/mnt/user/Movies                            \\TOWER\Movies

Now I can view my edia over SMB instead of HTTP without any issues.

Hope this helps someone!

Edited by Capt.Insano