#821 Jdiesel ONLINE  

Jdiesel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2836 posts
  • Local time: 02:25 PM
  • LocationRegina, SK

Posted 12 March 2020 - 04:03 PM

Anyone watch Ford v Ferrari? Its on my list of movies to see unfortunately I am the only one in my house who has it on their list. Might have to find some personal time to watch this one. 

#822 adamstewiegreen OFFLINE  

adamstewiegreen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 307 posts
  • Local time: 08:25 AM

Posted 12 March 2020 - 11:39 PM

The Name of the Rose.  It was ok.  The movie probably trims too much "fat" from the book.  Now I'd like to see what a good filmmaker could do with Foucault's Pendulum ...

Raw:  A french horror/thriller.  Budget but well made.  The ending was clever and it made me chuckle a bit.

Zombieland Double Tap - If you liked the first one then there's more of that right here!

Knives Out: Possibly the most air tight murder mystery movie I've ever seen.  Funny, clever and unpredictable.  I'll be first in line at the theatre if there is a sequel - (as much as a hate hollywood milking a franchise) I wouldn't mind more Benoit Blanc. (and a quick internet search has confirmed that there is a sequel on its way)

#823 WilhelmStroker OFFLINE  

WilhelmStroker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 332 posts
  • Local time: 09:25 PM

Posted 19 March 2020 - 05:09 PM

Raw and Knives out are on my list of movies I need to see.. Watched:

House of the dead. One of the worst rated movies on pretty much every site and definitely terrible acting, cheesy special effects and random shots of the video game it's based on but I found it highly amusing and cheesy.

Unlike Climax. That will go on my list of unpleasant movies I never want to watch again, next to Irreversible by the same director.... The music and dancing was great and energetic but the violence was pretty unpleasant, and whatever dialogue there was was awful. 

#824 adamstewiegreen OFFLINE  

adamstewiegreen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 24 March 2020 - 01:08 AM

The Lighthouse: The preferred "The Witch".  The main characters psychosis is, in my opinion, too sudden ... probably requires a second viewing before I decide whether I liked it or not...

The Elephant Man:  A very humane movie.  I rather enjoyed it.  For a David Lynch movie it is remarkably accessible and still very "Lynchian".

Star War: Rise of Skywalker: Terrible. Terrible.  Terrible.  I don't know who to blame, the director? the editor? the writers? this is a mess from start to finish.

Full Metal Jacket:  While the entire movie is quite good, the first act outshines the rest by such a large degree that it feels somewhat uneven.  On the plus side it isn't set in the jungles of Vietnam, go ahead name another Vietnam war movie not set in the jungle ... I'll wait...

In Bruges: I have a soft spot for black comedy.  I rather like this movie.

Doulos:  This is a classic example of a movie where filmmakers were forbidden to show criminals profiting from their crimes.  Nevertheless, it was a good flick.  And Melville packs it with his undeniable style.  Bonus fact:  In first century A.D. Greek "doulos" means slave or servant.  In French, apparently it means hat or snitch. 

Edited by adamstewiegreen, 24 March 2020 - 01:09 AM.

#825 adamstewiegreen OFFLINE  

adamstewiegreen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 24 March 2020 - 08:09 AM

Come and See:  The title of the movie invites us to see the atrocities of war through the eyes (and ears) of a teenage boy whose 'romantic' viewpoint on the subject (just look at the way he smiles about the thought at the beginning, like he's in love) very quickly comes tumbling down after trying to join the local militia.  This is a brutal movie.

#826 WilhelmStroker OFFLINE  

WilhelmStroker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 332 posts

Posted 24 March 2020 - 09:55 AM

I've read about Come and See before. Sounds indeed very brutal. As you can tell from my list, I haven't been in the mood for brutal movies lately :D

Wheels on Meals - Cheesy Jackie Chan flick. Some great fighting scenes.

Spy Hard - Not the best Leslie Nielsen movie out there but some funny gags in places.

Space Truckers - Charles Dance’s chain-powered vibrating robot schlong. Some questionable dialogue and attitude to sex but other than that a pretty entertaining late nineties sci fi romp.

Kill Chain - Has Nic Cage in it. About the only memorable bit. Can't remember much of it.

#827 adamstewiegreen OFFLINE  

adamstewiegreen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 09:10 AM

The coronavirus is doing wonders for my movie watching.  I don't know how ya'll are responding to this but my wife has an autoimmune disease so we're in total lock-down at home for the long haul till this thing passes (like the kids are temporarily being home schooled just in case) because she could be in all sorts of trouble if she catches this thing.  Not missing anything as all bars, restaurants, theatres, sporting events etc are closed down over here (Australia).  On to the movies!

Jumanji: The Next Level - Nowhere near as good as the first.  It does get a lot better near the end, but it's a tough slog watching The Rock (trying to) do his best Danny Devito impression.  If you haven't seen the first, see it.  But this?  There are a few (like one) stand out performance, but other than that it's tough to recommend.

The Invisible Man:  I saw this before all the theatres in Australia shut down.  meh.  wait for video.

St. Vincent: I think this was a Netflix original, I was gunning for Uncut Gems but democracy took over and we were left with this piece of sentimental mediocrity.  It was ok, but I wouldn't recommend it. 

Marriage Story: Another Netflix original.  Adam Driver and Scarlett Johansson are two of my favorite actors (I'd highly recommend both Paterson and Ghost World) and Noah Baumbach is capable of writing annoying characters, believable dialogue and - not boring - movies about everyday, (post) post modern life, that actually have something to say. Highly recommended, but certainly not for everyone.

The Hunt:  This is some irreverent and violent fun.  A bunch of liberal elites capture a group of "deplorables" in order to hunt and kill them.  Apparently it caused something of a controversy when the first trailer dropped but I thought it evenhandedly dished out the insults to both the left and the right.  I'm not American but I still got all the jokes on both sides, although it will go over the heads of those not familiar with American culture (my wife wouldn't get it at all).

#828 WilhelmStroker OFFLINE  

WilhelmStroker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 332 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:39 PM

Yup it's the same in the UK so i'm planning on watching quite a few movies over the next coming weeks. 

One of my projects is to start this list and work my way back to number 1, as i've `only' seen 29 of them so far.

http://www.bbc.com/c...-greatest-films

Not on that list:

Sheena. Been reading a book about the Razzie awards and because I am a masochist who likes to watch bad movies I gave this one a go. It's awful. Tanya Roberts, who also played a Bond girl in a View to a kill can't act at all, the story is awful, the music is a ripoff of Chariots of fire etc. One for a drunk bad movie night.

Hot Rod. Also dumb and silly but a lot funnier. If you can stomach Andy Samberg's overacting it's pretty funny. Plus i'm a fan of Bill Hader. 

Ready or not. Good horror that plays around with the tropes, with some very funny bits.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Movie, Discussion, Review

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users