751 replies to this topic

#721 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 12291 posts
  • Local time: 05:29 AM

Posted 07 September 2019 - 02:33 AM

I have scored myself some old skool cheesy goodness. My friends, I have acquired Hawk The Slayer.

#722 WilhelmStroker ONLINE  

WilhelmStroker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 240 posts
  • Local time: 01:29 PM

Posted 08 September 2019 - 03:11 PM

That looks very cheesy! 

I watched:

Satanic Panic. Entertaining horror comedy with Rebecca Romeijn.

The Dead don't die. I'm a Jarmusch fan but this was not very exciting or funny. Felt flat to me. Unlike...

Only Lovers Left Alive. Much more interesting, very atmospheric and a great soundtrack. 

#723 adamstewiegreen OFFLINE  

adamstewiegreen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 274 posts
  • Local time: 12:29 AM

Posted 13 September 2019 - 08:04 PM

Watched Training Day and Dark Phoenix recently.

Training Day is so good.  Washington and Hawke are superb actors and compliment each other really well.  Dre and Snoop are also good additions.

Dark Phoenix.  Oh boy, this is much worse than I expected.  With the exception of MacAvoy (maybe Turner and Fassbinder too), the performances are all phoned in.  Lawrence and Chastain are so bad that if they weren't already superstars this movie could have been disastrous for their careers (although, Chastain's may be more about direction than acting).

#724 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 12291 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 09:51 PM

You really like McCoy? Really??? I agree with you about Dark Phoenix. My buddy and I totally ripped it apart. McCoy... really, though? Personally, I think he ruins everything he appears in. But I guess there must be enough people that like him. It's like Mark Wallyburger. I have no idea why he's so successful... Oh wait! The girlies like him... I keep forgetting about 'popularity', it doesn't equate to quality.

As for Training Day... Well, it's Denzel. Is there anything else we need to know? :)

#725 adamstewiegreen OFFLINE  

adamstewiegreen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 274 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 11:18 PM

I think MacAvoy is a more than decent actor (I've been avoiding Glass though). I put Walhburg with the likes of knoxville and reeves, they're more entertainers than actors. Which is fine (I love the John Wick series, and - the first - Jackass), just don't go to a Walhburg/Knoxville/Reeves movie expecting Daniel Day Lewis.
  • Doofus likes this

#726 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 12291 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 11:20 PM

That's a fair appraisal. I just think Mcvoy is a giant D-bag lol

#727 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Members
  • 46993 posts
  • Local time: 08:29 AM

Posted 14 September 2019 - 09:27 AM

It always takes me so long to unpack Doofus' opinions.... you just never really know exactly what he's thinking.   ;)  :P

• Doofus likes this

#728 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 12291 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 10:47 AM

Lol

#729 adamstewiegreen OFFLINE  

adamstewiegreen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 274 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 12:13 AM

Watched High Life (dir. Claire Denis, White Material) - quite odd and obscure.  I probably won't be able to say if I loved it or hated it until I watch it a second time.

and then there's Rubber  (which I saw when it first came out) - Some people say it's pure nonsense and trash but I think it's wacky fun that's dark and possibly a little bit insightful.

#730 WilhelmStroker ONLINE  

WilhelmStroker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 03:07 AM

I really liked Rubber, and the other movies I've seen by the same director. 

Watched:

The Faculty. Typical late nineties Scream inspired high school horror pulp. Good fun.

Urban Legend. Typical late nineties Scream inspired high school slasher pulp. Good fun.

Master of the flying guillotine. A big inspiration for Tarantino, which is pretty obvious. Maybe about 20 minutes of dialogue and plot, the rest are fighting scenes. Enjoyed the analogue synth soundtrack.

#731 adamstewiegreen OFFLINE  

adamstewiegreen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 274 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 06:45 AM

Recently seen:

Spiderman: Away From Home - After Homecoming, Captain Marvel and End Game I told my self, no more Marvel.  Well, I lied to myself again, here's another Marvel critically acclaimed superhero flick that made no sense, at all.  If it wasn't Marvel this movie would have been slammed by critics as preposterous.  This is partly because the split between Marvel and Sony made the film automatically obsolete since the WHOLE plot revolves around Stark naming Spidey as the next leader of the Avengers - since it won't happen the entire movie, literally, has no purpose.  It's like Marvel put all their eggs in Sony's basket - and now Sony is taking thier basket.  On the brightside: It was much better than Homecoming.

I didn't watch it this week, but if you're itching for a Spiderman movie, Into the Spiderverse is probably the single best spiderman movie ever made.  And has some quite extraordinary animation.  And once again, my friend Nic Cage steals the show with Noir Spidey.

Ugetsu - One of those old 1950's foreign critically acclaimed darlings that's good - possibly even really good, but left me wondering why so many think it's THAT incredibly amazing.

Pusher (1996) - started pretty weak, but slowly upped the intensity.  From the director of Drive.

#732 WilhelmStroker ONLINE  

WilhelmStroker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 07:15 AM

Not seen Pusher in years but it was pretty funny seeing the same actor playing a cop in The Bridge. 

Ugetsu sounds interesting.

Some more additions:

The night of the hunted. A Jean Rollin film so if you've ever seen one of his movies you know what to expect...

Don't torture a duckling. Pretty interesting Giallo, that is set in a rural environment. Not overly bloody or gory but pretty atmospheric.

The Death and Resurrection show. Documentary about the band Killing Joke. 

#733 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Members
  • 46993 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 10:35 AM

Ad Astra - don't put yourself through it.

It tried so hard and did it so poorly...

#734 adamstewiegreen OFFLINE  

adamstewiegreen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 274 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 10:44 AM

Ad Astra - don't put yourself through it.

It tried so hard and did it so poorly...

I read a review where the reviewer compared it to 2001: A Space Odyssey, Solaris, and Interstellar and I always see that as a warning sign. 2001 and Solaris are 2 of the best sci-fi films ever made, comparing any movie to just one of those (let alone both) is just asking for HUGE disappointment.

I'm still going to try to see it in the theatre (it's not even playing in my local theatre) because it's the type of movie I want to see more of, and it's the type of movie that Hollywood has been making fewer and fewer of.

#735 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Members
  • 46993 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 10:58 AM

I read a review where the reviewer compared it to 2001: A Space Odyssey, Solaris, and Interstellar and I always see that as a warning sign. 2001 and Solaris are 2 of the best sci-fi films ever made, comparing any movie to just one of those (let alone both) is just asking for HUGE disappointment.

I'm still going to try to see it in the theatre (it's not even playing in my local theatre) because it's the type of movie I want to see more of, and it's the type of movie that Hollywood has been making fewer and fewer of.

It is NOTHING like those other films (except, perhaps, in imagery).  Save your money.

#736 chef OFFLINE  

chef

Advanced Member

• Developers
  • 3953 posts
  • LocationPeterborough, Canada

Posted 23 September 2019 - 07:36 AM

Attached File  6nyiw7n0zfv21.jpg   128.1KB   3 downloadsAttached File  2ebdfbe7a4d0c82fc6940fca51635d02.jpg   101.42KB   3 downloadsAttached File  The_INFINITY_SAGA._HDpng.png   296.4KB   3 downloads

This collection hasn't been added to any of embys metadata providers, so I made my own collection.

Here is the images I used. Thought I'd share. Just add your 23 films to the collection.

#737 BillOatman OFFLINE  

BillOatman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 03:46 PM

Ad Astra on IMDB is a 7.1.  But if you look at the reviews they are either 8-9 or 1-2.  1-2 are people expecting a SciFy movie, and the 8-9 are people expecting and liking a drama.

Disappointing for me, but thanks @ebr now I can wait and watch it at home ... maybe.

#738 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 12291 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 03:49 PM

It was the same thing with Gravity and Contact. Many people were disappointed. But I thought both were great.

#739 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Members
  • 46993 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 09:47 AM

Ad Astra on IMDB is a 7.1.  But if you look at the reviews they are either 8-9 or 1-2.  1-2 are people expecting a SciFy movie, and the 8-9 are people expecting and liking a drama.

Disappointing for me, but thanks @ebr now I can wait and watch it at home ... maybe.

It isn't that it isn't action sci-fi.  It is that the plot makes absolutely no sense and the incredibly horrible science can be spotted by a 5th grader.  Absolutely nothing in the entire story line is even remotely believable.

It was the same thing with Gravity and Contact. Many people were disappointed. But I thought both were great.

Contact is a great movie.

#740 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 12291 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 09:56 AM

Contact is a great movie.

Considering who wrote it, I don't see how it could be anything less than great.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Movie, Discussion, Review

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users