how to filter out sample files

dirkdigs

Happy2Play
3 hours ago, cayars said:

Shutdown Emby Server.

Your library info will be stored in a path similar to this on Windows. Change the bolded text to be the username Emby runs under. This will be in a different location on platforms other than Windows but will still give you idea how to find it.
C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\root\default

You will see a folder for each Library on your system.  Here is an example:
image.png.df127b07a141ca51f5879993c837561d.png

Edit the folder that matches the library you want to edit and in that folder will be options.xml. Use a notepad/text editor program to edit this file.  Look for something similar to

<SampleIgnoreSize>314572800</SampleIgnoreSize>

Change it to 

<SampleIgnoreSize>0</SampleIgnoreSize>

Save the file and restart Emby.  You will then likely want to do a full library scan.

Potentially something for the KB for Samples.  Same should apply for changing Content types also.

Or should these specific posts be copied to Tutorials and Guides?

Not really KB material but could be good for the Tutorials and Guides section.

Can you as a mod move/copy them?

Happy2Play
1 minute ago, cayars said:

Not really KB material but could be good for the Tutorials and Guides section.

Can you as a mod move/copy them?

I don't see a option like that, but will recreate them there.

22 hours ago, Luke said:

@EZEd what you can do is edit the options xml file for the library and set SampleIgnoreSize to 0. @cayars can help you locate that. Thanks.

@Luke /Cayars, just now seeing your response.  I haven't tried your solution yet but will implement as soon as I get home and report back results.  Thanks for info.

Ed

Edited by EZEd
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Luke said:

Let us know how you get on. Thanks.

Voila! Success - works a treat. Thank you gentlemen for the tips.  You're out there saving lives everyday.  Your efforts are greatly appreciated.

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Hello,

This fix doesn't seem to work for me.

I have shutdown Emby server, changed the SampleIgnoreSize to 0 and then started Emby. Did a Scan Library Files in Library setting for the Movies library.

Sample People and other are still in the house... :(

Am I missing somthing?

Thanks!

Edited by thorin

3 hours ago, thorin said:

Hello,

This fix doesn't seem to work for me.

I have shutdown Emby server, changed the SampleIgnoreSize to 0 and then started Emby. Did a Scan Library Files in Library setting for the Movies library.

Sample People and other are still in the house... :(

Am I missing somthing?

Thanks!

Try making the value larger, not smaller.

1 hour ago, Luke said:

Try making the value larger, not smaller.

I'm observing very inconsistent behaviour...

Setting it to 500MB indeed removed some of the "Samples" e.g. one that is 146MB - d:\Video\Movies\8-Bit.Christmas.2021.HDR.2160p.WEB.h265-RUMOUR\Sample\8-bit.christmas.2021.hdr.2160p.web.h265-rumour-sample.mkv

But for the following one it doesn't make any sense how this setting really works.

Test file: D:\Video\Movies\Transformers.2007.1080p.BluRay.x264.DUAL-WAR\Sample\whters.mkv - 123MB.

Default setting: 300MB:  Appears in library as "Sample People"

Custom setting: 0MB:  Appears in library as "Sample People"

Custom setting: 500MB:  Appears in library as "Sample People"

Custom setting: 1000MB: Appears in library as "Sample People"

Is SampleIgnoreSize set in bytes? I assume so...

Thanks!

Edited by thorin

Do you have a legit use of the sample files?  Are you ever going to use them or will they just hog storage space?
The simple solution would be to remove all file names with "sample" in them.

20 minutes ago, cayars said:

Do you have a legit use of the sample files?  Are you ever going to use them or will they just hog storage space?
The simple solution would be to remove all file names with "sample" in them.

They are torrents which are currently seeding.

Got ya. That's really a bad reason however as seeding and having the correct Emby naming and folder/file structure in place are often two different things.

You are far better off giving each the proper naming convention each needs. Doing this does not need to use double the space if you are setup properly to handle this as you can use a file system that offers deduplication so the files can have different names but use the same storage space.  That's a pretty much set and forget method but will use some CPU to deduplicate the disks.  Another option is just using symbolic links which can be setup via script.  This way the symbolic links can be renamed properly and not created for files that shouldn't be there.

Symbolic links is not CPU intensive in the least and can easily be done on a 20 year old computer or a Pi.  You just have to be organized and setup scripts to handle this properly.

Either way to apps you have two different sources while only storing the data once.  That gives you the best of both worlds once setup.
As long as your files are static and by that I mean get written to a specific location and don't change or get moved the symbolic link approach should work fantastic for this.

16 minutes ago, cayars said:

Got ya. That's really a bad reason however as seeding and having the correct Emby naming and folder/file structure in place are often two different things.

You are far better off giving each the proper naming convention each needs. Doing this does not need to use double the space if you are setup properly to handle this as you can use a file system that offers deduplication so the files can have different names but use the same storage space.  That's a pretty much set and forget method but will use some CPU to deduplicate the disks.  Another option is just using symbolic links which can be setup via script.  This way the symbolic links can be renamed properly and not created for files that shouldn't be there.

Symbolic links is not CPU intensive in the least and can easily be done on a 20 year old computer or a Pi.  You just have to be organized and setup scripts to handle this properly.

Either way to apps you have two different sources while only storing the data once.  That gives you the best of both worlds once setup.
As long as your files are static and by that I mean get written to a specific location and don't change or get moved the symbolic link approach should work fantastic for this.

Thanks for the nice ideas but I'm good as I am now :)

Actually, Emby is doing pretty nice job with identifying most of the movies and shows (directly from their location as downloaded from torrents) of course with some manual identification here and there. The only thing currently bothering my library are those Sample People around 😆

With a proper working filtering and a simple administration option for those who want it or not it would be the best solution imho.

Does Emby support something like .ignore files?

2 hours ago, thorin said:

Thanks for the nice ideas but I'm good as I am now :)

Actually, Emby is doing pretty nice job with identifying most of the movies and shows (directly from their location as downloaded from torrents) of course with some manual identification here and there. The only thing currently bothering my library are those Sample People around 😆

With a proper working filtering and a simple administration option for those who want it or not it would be the best solution imho.

Does Emby support something like .ignore files?

Yes you can put a .ignore file inside a folder to ignore it 

28 minutes ago, Luke said:

That's great! But is it works recursively e.g. can I put it on the top level of my library and it would filter all the e.g. *sample* paths inside?

I think plex has such feature with .plexignore put on top level...

Thanks!

2 hours ago, Luke said:

Not if the samples are in the same folder as your main movies but if in a separate folder that would work well.

Happy2Play

Have only done limited testing but do not see the behavior you are talking about.

But since you have Sample folders you could put ".ignore" files in all of them.

d:\Video\Movies\8-Bit.Christmas.2021.HDR.2160p.WEB.h265-RUMOUR\Sample\8-bit.christmas.2021.hdr.2160p.web.h265-rumour-sample.mkv

• 4 weeks later...

I was wondering if ther is anyway to exclude the Screens (the modern day equivilent of sample) folder downloaded with most torrents the same way you did with the sample folders and files? As putting an .Ignore file in every torrent would be tedious. 

Edited by Rob

12 hours ago, Rob said:

I was wondering if ther is anyway to exclude the Screens (the modern day equivilent of sample) folder downloaded with most torrents the same way you did with the sample folders and files? As putting an .Ignore file in every torrent would be tedious. 

How are they named?

14 hours ago, Rob said:

Hi Luke

They're just a folder within the torrent maked screens

image.png.8955b505e761e253d694ca27768d92b2.png

Can you please show complete file name examples? Thanks.