server build question

rblu19

I'll admit I'm not in a place where can do a server right now (money aspects, mainly). So, this is mostly theoretical at the moment (it may be a different story once I can spare the money). At the same time, any help is greatly appreciated. Now, keep in mind that since I'm just spitballing here - this is a best case scenario for what I want to do - assume that, if everything is completely doable, money is no object (although obviously the cheaper the better). If not everything is completely doable, let me know what isn't (if it's a software thing, it might finally give me the push to try to learn programming.)

Here's what I want: a server that can stream full  2D and 3D Blu-ray rips, (I use MakeMKV and don't really tweak anything other that adding/taking out audio and subtitle tracks and changing the names of those, if that helps any) without lag, to any computer in my house (preferably multiple videos at once - multiple people accessing simultaneously, that sort of thing), and really any computer I can access, since you can stream them over the internet if the router is set up correctly (if I can access them without lag on the other side of the world, make it so). Essentially, my question boils down to this: what specs must the server fit to accommodate all of that, same question for the router and the computer(s)?

Thank you all in advance for your answers.

techywarrior

Honestly its probably not worth speccing out now since it will change by the time you have the money.

Also, if the machines are on the local network and are capable of direct play then the server is out of the equation. It's only really needed if you need to transcode the media.

If you describe what you anticipate having for your client services it would help but I would imagine that may change when you have money too.

Edited by techywarrior

Happy2Play

and really any computer I can access, since you can stream them over the internet if the router is set up correctly (if I can access them without lag on the other side of the world, make it so).

This will greatly depend on your upload speed your ISP provides.