New MB Server Build

efrechel

efrechel

I have been Media Browser for 3+ years and wanted to thank the development team for such a great product. I think it is time to create a new server. I am running into FFMPEG maxing out the CPU when streaming content. With a large family we attempt to stream up to 3 streams at one time. My current configuration can’t handle the load regardless of client being used.

If I was going to rebuild my server what would you recommend to handle at least 3 streaming sessions? 

legallink

3 streaming sessions isn't the issue as whether each session needs transcoding, and what your typical resolution is per file.  For instance, from a server perspective, a large blu-ray, 4k file, incompressed being transcoded to be viewed on an ipad will stress the cpu more than the same file not requiring transcoding.

I'm in the process of building a server/nas and going with a Xeon E3 with a whole host of drives (6x6TB).

3 streams that don't require transcoding can be served by the majority of cpu's available on the market.

I would look at this thread for plex (as machine requirements are fairly similar).

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200375666-Stand-Alone-Server

Cheers!

Koleckai Silvestri

FFMPEG's job is to use as much CPU as possible to transcode the content as quickly as possible. However, if you set it to Auto, you should be able to handle multiple streams.  I can do three streams on my ancient (by today's standards) Sandy-bridge i5.

The key though is to reduce transcode by increasing bit rate as much as possible and using formats like MP4 and MKV. I prefer MKV because it has better features than MP4 but MP4 is supported by more devices directly. With the rokus in my house hooked up to ethernet, there is rarely transcoding except for the highest bit-rate content. Even then it only transcodes for 20% of the runtime or less.

• 3 weeks later...
efrechel

I currently have a Intel i3 processor and 8 GB ram. If I was going to upgrade what processor (might need new board) would you recommend? All video is MKV and it is hardwired. I am having streaming and buffering issues with different clients (wireless)(Roku, IOS, Windows,etc...). Most of the time it streams fine with one connection but as soon as you try more it starts to hang. With one I see the CPU at about 100%, that is why I am thinking I need a new machine.

shaefurr

My old i5-750 can handle 3 trans-coded streams at once, but the server becomes a slug during that time. Pisses me off when im gaming and everyone in the house starts watching a bluray over the Wifi 60FPS > 20 FPS :(

Aside from me whining about that, You could go with an i7 or Xeon, they're fairly similar in performance. Something like this should handle all that transcoding without issue. Whats your budget?

efrechel

Well I think I am going to buy an i7 - 3770 which is the max that my motherboard supports. This will increase from 2 cores to 4 cores which I hope will help. CPU is part of the problem but I am having issues with slowless in Roku when playing and just moving through the screens. I think this will solve the high CPU problem but I think if I am going to rebuild it from scratch so I know I don't have any other issues. I plan on rebuilding over the weekend if I can find the current instructions. When I built my MB classic server it needed several programs with Shark Codec,etc... Once I understand what is going to take to build a clean MB3 server on Windows I will let the forum know  if this solve the issue.