So what's next for mb

saajan4u

It is much more mature and we have skins available that resemble MBT. I've played with the new version of MBT in recent days. It has potential but needs time.

Koleckai Silvestri

Hopefully there is some work done on Music and Playlists/Collections. What is available is very basic and woefully inadequate.

swhitmore

It is much more mature and we have skins available that resemble MBT. I've played with the new version of MBT in recent days. It has potential but needs time.

Thanks, I'll have a play tonight. Unfortunately I don't get as much time as I used to to dabble. What themes are the most mature and/or closest to MBT?

swhitmore

For helix, try 1080XF. 

Thanks I'll give it a go. I had a look at some of the screenshots and videos, but my initial impressions were that it looks a little overcrowded as disjointed. I like MBT for its clean design. 1080XF does look very customisable though, so maybe I'll be able to configure it in a way to suit.

Edited by swhitmore

shaefurr

I think the plugin for Kodi has a lot of potential, especially considering it hasn't been around very long. Even comparing it to the version from a month or so a go is a huge difference. And the devs working on it are quick to fix bugs and reply. It does remind me a lot more of MBC than it does MBT. Probably just due to the fact it has tons of configuration options and is chock full of smooth animations.

MBT on the other hand has been in limbo now with no updates to functionality for at least 6 months. I do love MBT and think it has a lot to offer for what it is, a small 10' client that's easy to setup and use and has a simple and informative UI. But this overhaul is really taking a while and might be pushing away its users. I don't see anything wrong with MBT except the fact it wasn't fully featured when it entered this overhaul thing. (I don't own a whole lot of DVD rips anymore, but trying to play one in MBT was and still is a nightmare for me. Though i've found I can start watching one in MBT, stop it and resume it in Kodi. Thank god for that.)

I've switched over to Kodi and find it refreshing. The wife however still likes MBT even with its faults so ill always keep that on hand as well. Each have their pros and cons, but I wont get into it.

Gamebrowser on the other hand I don't know where that will end up, I know Red had his hands full with the Android client forever so I know he didn't have time to work on it. But as what seems to happen, lack of PC game support for a year pushed me away. I've switched over to Steam since I found it can work with SNES/NES and all the other consoles. Im actually so happy with it I wouldn't switch back to gamebrowser even if it worked perfectly. Yeah you wont get the metadata or game trailers but Steams in-game overlay that even works with emulators is way more useful. Plus its a hell of a lot easier to setup and it streams to lower end PCs which GB cant do. Still a decent plugin, but with no active dev working on it, I sense a bad future for it.

Sorry, full of opinions tonight I guess. BTW is there any ETA on MBT??

Aphid is very much interested in games so i think you'll be in luck with MBT. And with all kinds of android emulators popping up, i think games are something we are always going to support. I wouldn't worry there.

swhitmore

Looking forward to seeing where MBT has ended up. I hope it hasn't changed too much from where it is now. I actually really like MBT as it is. I just wish it had Music, Live TV, and Photo support. I don't know the technical reasons why it needed a complete overhaul, but hopefully it will pay off.

Glad to see there are really active Kodi developers. It's just a shame that we can't put the same resources towards MBT. Maybe once the overhaul is finally released, we can encourage the theme developers to improve MBT with the same commitment that Kodi is getting.

With features like Sync and new clients like Kodi, 2015 could be a really interesting year for MB3. Keep up the great work guys!

i am interested in it as well. android is really the new htpc. there's nothing you can't do with it. so how cool would it be to have all your old school games in an android tv interface. i think it would be incredible.

• Like 1

the new MBT is not a dramatic change at all but it is new developer so of course it has his personal touch. but i will say it is extremely faithful to the current version you're accustomed to. and it navigates much more smoothly. he wants to do a really robust OSD like that is being requested in the other threads, so i think you guys will be happy.

• Like 1

swhitmore

i am interested in it as well. android is really the new htpc. there's nothing you can't do with it. so how cool would it be to have all your old school games in an android tv interface. i think it would be incredible.

I've been following a lot of the news coming out of CES, and this article was really interesting. This is huge for Android TV and could mean big things for Media Browser if you guys were to gain traction with it.

All of Sony's new smart TVs run on Android TV

Deathsquirrel

Is Kodi better than MBT? I need to have a look at that then...

As Luke said, it's a mature product.  Of course the UI is very mature...like senile...or maybe it's moved on to aggressively evil undeath.

I just installed it.  I'd forgotten they renamed XBMC.  It took about 10 seconds for my loathing of their UI to reassert itself.  Time to go exorcise this drive.

Starkadius

That's good to hear, for me half my usage of my PC is for games. :)

This. Right now the platform which will give you access to the most games possible is PC/Windows. You can run all retro consoles made, Windows 95-Present Games, Steam, GoG and even android games using bluestacks. By not giving proper PC games support the gamebrowser plugin has lost a lot of potential especially for the huge PC gaming audience out there. Heck, the gamebrowser plugin has access to emumovies yet does not allow downloading from the thousands of videos it has available to it which would make it aesthetically more superior to alternatives out there.

If and when Android offers the ability to run Windows games I think then it will be a true alternative to a Windows HTPC. If you only care about retro games outside of the vast array of Windows titles then yeah I can see android being a great option. Meanwhile I have started transitioning to Hyperspin/Hyperlauncher for my gaming library needs. I still plan on having a games collection in MediaBrowser but sadly I won't be investing too much time in it's current state. I didn't want to have to use Steam/Hyperspin or any other frontend but rather have it all in one place and I used to think that is what MediaBrowser could have been.

shaefurr

This. Right now the platform which will give you access to the most games possible is PC/Windows. You can run all retro consoles made, Windows 95-Present Games, Steam, GoG and even android games using bluestacks. By not giving proper PC games support the gamebrowser plugin has lost a lot of potential especially for the huge PC gaming audience out there. Heck, the gamebrowser plugin has access to emumovies yet does not allow downloading from the thousands of videos it has available to it which would make it aesthetically more superior to alternatives out there.

If and when Android offers the ability to run Windows games I think then it will be a true alternative to a Windows HTPC. If you only care about retro games outside of the vast array of Windows titles then yeah I can see android being a great option. Meanwhile I have started transitioning to Hyperspin/Hyperlauncher for my gaming library needs. I still plan on having a games collection in MediaBrowser but sadly I won't be investing too much time in it's current state. I didn't want to have to use Steam/Hyperspin or any other frontend but rather have it all in one place and I used to think that is what MediaBrowser could have been.

Well said, exactly how I feel. Did I originally want to switch to Steam for all my games? Not really, but modern PC games is what I play 95% of the time. MBT still works fine for consoles, but why use MBT for that when I just bump into Steam and have all my games in the same place. Been bugging me for the past year so finally gave in and switched over.

Hopefully in the future GB will come back into its own and games can take their rightful place in the MB library for me again.

Honestly I understand the changes that had to be made to GB because of the changes from MB2/3 to the client>server relationship. But GB2 worked flawlessly, and PC games were a breeze to setup only needing an empty folder with a shortcut. There's no way in hell id want to go through and manually select the exe for my 150 PC games like the MBC config requires. :/ If I had a clue in the world how to code anything besides a lame .bat file id totally invest my time into GB.

BTW how is Hyperspin? It looks fun but I haven't had the time to set it up yet.

Edited by shaefurr

careca

As Luke said, it's a mature product.  Of course the UI is very mature...like senile...or maybe it's moved on to aggressively evil undeath.

I just installed it.  I'd forgotten they renamed XBMC.  It took about 10 seconds for my loathing of their UI to reassert itself.  Time to go exorcise this drive.

I have the same feeling. I just can't stand the flow of XBMC, and I tried multiple times. It's more than just a skin. It's how the overall thing is defined. For example, it's easy to get lost on repos, addons, etc. I much prefer MBT although as others said more work is necessary to polish it. 

And let's not forget that with MBT we have a nice integration with MadVR inclusing OSD, while in XBMC if you want to use MadVR you need to use an external player.

dark_slayer

BTW how is Hyperspin? It looks fun but I haven't had the time to set it up yet.

Truly can't wait for the retroplayer helix release of Kodi. A really big thanks goes to @@xnappo, @@Luke, @, @@im85288, @@marcelveldt, and anyone who I missed for getting the add-on to where it is today (and still driving forward)

Speed and stability are greatly improving, and with the power of a gaming-htpc (wired) the cached library performance even with my near 1800 movie library is becoming ubiquitous to what I was experiencing on a native Kodi mysql library. Retroplayer is the last piece for me (until something changes the game and I move away from windows, but I currently have about 10 unplayed Windows-only titles in my steam library). If you've never heard of it . . . the combination of a windows gaming pc running steam, retroplayer version of kodi, the mb3 add-on for kodi, and an external player like stereoscopic for MVC 3D will be hard to beat. Here is a cool video (albeit a little old) of what it will bring when implemented (think how ubiquitous it is to play back a movie or show you've added to mediabrowser or kodi and apply it to nes, snes, genesis, n64 games on android, linux, osx, or windows)

https://www.youtube.com/embed/8viUD5WPrCA

Not finished yet http://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=194 (and the n64 piece http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=205571 )

Edited by dark_slayer
  • Like 2

Vidman

Thanks I'll give it a go. I had a look at some of the screenshots and videos, but my initial impressions were that it looks a little overcrowded as disjointed. I like MBT for its clean design. 1080XF does look very customisable though, so maybe I'll be able to configure it in a way to suit.

You may want to try titan as well then