So what's next for mb

saajan4u

saajan4u

Think MBS has reached that stage for me that ticks all boxes for me and I am very happy with all aspects of it and the reliability of it. So whats next?

My personal hope are improvements in the transcoding (or more accurately more frequently allowing for either streaming or direct streaming of video aka remuxing). It is one stark difference I see compared to Plex, where the same movie is not transcoded via Plex but with MB3. I know it's been mentioned that it's going to be improved but I haven't necessarily seen any major difference (and in some cases maybe some regression with some recent app updates). Hopefully this doesn't come off as a major complaint, as I've been a long time MB user and will be using MB Classic as long as I'm using Windows Media Center but on devices like phones and tablets, I think plex is a little ahead due to this (and things like mobile sync that EBR mentioned).

More different themes but a version of server that can be installed without hassles on a Linux box or that Phaze can use for his UnRaid plug-ins.

Macburp

As the server now seems feature-rich and multi-platform, I hope to see more emphasis on clients. Development areas for me are:

- finishing off MBT: live tv capability, port MBC themes

- a fully-fledged Linux client that doesn't have an XBMC front-end

- the new 10ft interface for Android

The hardware market for media devices  are sub-£100 android (Fire TV, Android TV) and linux (Asus Chromebox) devices, and I think MB is not yet ready for these.

• Like 1

politby

Auto organize for movies.

--

There are two kinds of people. Those who can extrapolate from missing information.

• Like 1

Think MBS has reached that stage for me that ticks all boxes for me and I am very happy with all aspects of it and the reliability of it. So whats next?

For me

a) Live TV support is very basic. It's not yet a MCE replacement

B) Live TV in MBT needs a lot of work

c) Management of LiveTV recordings wrt metadata needs a lot of work

d) Better In-Client metadata correction, particularly in MBT with a remote

For me, the improvements needed are mostly about LiveTV functionality. It's just not there yet, it still feels like a glue-on, not a core feature. I want to ditch MePo and MCE and use MBT instead, but it's just not capable enough or stable enough. 

• Like 1

Somethings already said :

- media sync : big feature, I dream to just come home and the server send last episode to my tablet for offline view.

- auto organize movie : work great for TV show so what not for movies.

denethor

I think once the sync added, server will be in feature complete state. It already beats the competition on backend side. Rich metadata, almost perfect responsive UI, LiveTV, user management, DLNA, more library types (games, music videos, books etc) and lot more.

For my view Dev team now needs to focus on Player features and UIs. For big screen living room Kodi+MBS Addon+1080XF creates amazing experience but needs some simplicity work to building it up more easly. (Still needs some little UI work though) Android is also good enough. But iOS is sadly far behind in the ecosystem.

Other thing is, more server features can be added to players as a next step. Especially the things related with the plugins: Audio&Video Themes, MBPlus.

So as a summary; next step should be the players. And please add something basic for playback of multi version movies (hsbs, 1080p) AFAIK currently there is now way to choose what version to play :(

EDIT: One last thing; Photo sections needs lots of work as you may already know;)

Edited by denethor

jluce50

In order of (my) preference ;-)

- Bring MBT to public release quality. It's a great program already, but there is a LOT missing still.

- Mobile sync

• Like 2

- Full release of MBT

- Auto-Organize Movies

- Multi-Version Movie selection (ie. Selection screen instead of Blu-ray and 3D versions of same movie showing up as 2 different titles)

- Android Living room client

In no particular order

Full release of MBT please then Auto Organize Movies - this will allow me to ditch MetaBrowser and have everything managed in one place :)

• 3 weeks later...

For me a stable server version that doesn't keep changing the goal posts and the way we need to have our media structured.

• Like 3

Vidman

It is actually allowing more freedom in the way you can structure your media.... with the expence of some automation

Cheesegeezer

I'm with Yogi on his gripe,

but mainly to come up with a way to stop losing long standing, MB seasoned developers thru the "World Domination" philosophy/mentality.

• Like 4

Starkadius

I'm with Yogi on his gripe,

but mainly to come up with a way to stop losing long standing, MB seasoned developers thru the "World Domination" philosophy/mentality.

Making an observation here myself. I noticed how many jaded users over the past year or so complained about certain plugins/themes breaking or not working properly. What I mean by this is for example the MBC themes which sometimes wouldn't work properly after some new server release. The developers in this case instead of releasing newer themes or more features are working uphill maintaining current themes with server changes that over time I feel makes them just give up considering this is just a hobby for most.

Another example which I noticed greatly is the numerous times the gamebrowser plugin would break requiring users to delete the library.db file in order for the server to recognize the games correctly. It got to the point I believe that the developer of gamebrowser "bowed out" so I am not sure if there is even support for that plugin anymore which frankly doesn't make me feel assured that I should spend countless hours/days setting up a gaming system that may or may not be supported further down the road. I have made a couple of gamebrowser support posts (one which is over a year old) and all have gone unanswered. In my eyes gamebrowser support is dead and I don't blame the developer of the plugin since I understand his frustration but it is disappointing to say the least.

I don't think there is a proper solution to this dilemma. We as users want more features and we want them now but we also want issues fixed. Developers on the other hand want to create newer and better things, not waste time fixing bugs or adapting to new server changes on a short term basis. People need to keep in mind we are living in different times in which updates are on a rapid release schedule across all platforms/apps/software. We are no longer living in the times where an OS or software gets an update every 6 months to every 2 years thus allowing developers slack time. MediaBrowser 3 is only doing what it needs to in order to keep up with the rest of the tech world. The problem though is you can't have new features and expect there to not be any issues but without enough developer support or time, "world domination" might have to wait...

Deihmos

I don't know why even bother with MBT when there is Kodi. Plex didn't build a new media player but instead based it on xbmc. Imo that's the best way forward because Kodi is already supported on a wide range of devices.

• Like 1

swhitmore

I don't know why even bother with MBT when there is Kodi. Plex didn't build a new media player but instead based it on xbmc. Imo that's the best way forward because Kodi is already supported on a wide range of devices.

Is Kodi better than MBT? I need to have a look at that then...