MB Connect sees Server but will not connect outside home network

Mychale6563

Mychale6563

I know we are all new to MB Connect, but I am also fairly new to Media Browser. I currently have MediaBrowser Server running on a Windows 7 OS and am using a Roku3 client to view my media at home. I want to utilize the MB Connect in order to access my server on the go as well as sharing my media with my daughter and grandson. I am having a problem connecting to my Media Browser server outside my home network using Media Browser Connect. I have tried 2 android devices, a samsung tablet and windows 7 web client and I'm unable to access MB Connect outside my home network at all. When I log in to Connect with my forum userID and password, I see my server just fine, however, when I click on it to select it, I get a spinning circle, then nothing. I even tried to manually change servers and enter the server IP address and it gave me the 'Server Unreachable' message.

If I go ahead and Wi-Fi up to my home network, I have no problems accessing my server at all. My daughter is having the same difficulty. She has a Sharp Smart TV. I sent her the invite, she created an account and logged in and she is also seeing the server just fine. BUT when she clicks on it, she get's the revolving circle, then nothing. Any assistance in troubleshooting this issue would be greatly appreciated! 

Mychale6563

Did you forward the ports on your router?

Deihmos, no, I haven't touched the router. There were no directions to make any changes of that nature. The website just says sign in with a connect user id and password and 'Enjoy!'. I've searched the forum for a Connect form to discuss all things connect hoping to find some details regarding the best practices for a successful setup to no avail. I can check my router for port forwarding. Just forward 8096?

Beardyname

canyouseem.org is a really good tool to see if your server is available.

*edit* Yep the guide assumes your server is connectable from outside your LAN. Do you have upnp enable? also the port number depends on which server you are running your server on, you are correct to assume 8096 since it's the standard one.

upnp location : Dashboard --> Server --> Settings --> click on advanced and check the automatic port thing.

Mychale6563

Yes forward port 8096 to the local ip of the server.

Okay, I'll try that. Interesting thing though, when I went to copy the IP address to use for the port forwarding, the IP address for the server remote access has changed. It was something completely different just an little while ago.... if I set my port forwarding to one IP address and it changes at whim, then it won't work properly, correct? How can I make sure that IP address doesn't change on me? I have no idea what I did (or didn't do) to make the IP address change like that.

Okay, I'll try that. Interesting thing though, when I went to copy the IP address to use for the port forwarding, the IP address for the server remote access has changed. It was something completely different just an little while ago.... if I set my port forwarding to one IP address and it changes at whim, then it won't work properly, correct? How can I make sure that IP address doesn't change on me? I have no idea what I did (or didn't do) to make the IP address change like that.

the connect feature attempts to handle that. if you use a ddns, you can also enter it in dashboard -> server

Beardyname

Computers at restart may be handed an random Ip from your DHCP server (typically your router), your router should also be able to "reserve" an ip for a specific computer. <-- For LAN that is.

If you are talking about your external IP (handed to you by your ISP) using the connect feature resolves that, as long as the router forwards to the right computer.

Mychale6563

the connect feature attempts to handle that. if you use a ddns, you can also enter it in dashboard -> server

Okay...I'm so sorry, but you've now successfully gone over my head. I found where to set port forwarding in my router, but now that I'm there, it's asking for information that I don't know (i.e. Service Name - I guessed and put MB3, then Port Range - no idea, then Local IP - has a drop down box but only has 2 IPs in it and neither of them are the IP address that shows on the Dashboard for Remote access, then Local Port - which I'm assuming is where the 8096 is supposed to go?, then Protocol - I'm guessing TCP is the one I'm supposed to use, but it's just a guess. And as for DDNS, I see that setting in the dashboard, but have no idea what it's asking for either (Dynamic DNS enter it here?...If it's dynamic, doesn't that mean it changes?). I think it expects me to be a little more advanced than I am when it comes to these kind of settings. I wish there was a media browser manual. I would totally read it. :-) I just need to figure out what I need to do to make it so I can access my media outside my home network. I'll do whatever you say is best, however, I just need you to talk 'down' to me just a little.... so sorry for being a newbie. :-) You guys have been very responsive which is much appreciated, now I hope you will be patient as well...lol. :-)

Mychale6563

canyouseem.org is a really good tool to see if your server is available.

*edit* Yep the guide assumes your server is connectable from outside your LAN. Do you have upnp enable? also the port number depends on which server you are running your server on, you are correct to assume 8096 since it's the standard one.

upnp location : Dashboard --> Server --> Settings --> click on advanced and check the automatic port thing.

Beardyname - I couldn't use canyouseem.org. It's a non-page and had no tools available there. As for my Advanced settings, the Local port is 8096, the Public port is 8096 and Enable automatic port mapping is checked. External DDNS: is blank and so is the Cache path.

Mychale6563

Computers at restart may be handed an random Ip from your DHCP server (typically your router), your router should also be able to "reserve" an ip for a specific computer. <-- For LAN that is.

If you are talking about your external IP (handed to you by your ISP) using the connect feature resolves that, as long as the router forwards to the right computer.

So what you're saying is I need to forward the port to the PC's IP Address where the server is running, not the remote access ip address that is displayed on the Dashboard?

So what you're saying is I need to forward the port to the PC's IP Address where the server is running, not the remote access ip address that is displayed on the Dashboard?

In dashboard -> server, you can configure both the local and remote port. they both default to 8096. whatever you choose, the remote port needs to forward to the  local one, and the address you need to worry about is the local lan ip address to forward to, not the external one.

and yes, you are right. this is a new feature, and we a setup guide and/or for the server to help walk you through getting setup.

Mychale6563

In dashboard -> server, you can configure both the local and remote port. they both default to 8096. whatever you choose, the remote port needs to forward to the  local one, and the address you need to worry about is the local lan ip address to forward to, not the external one.

I left the local and remote ports where they were by default at 8096. I went to my router (ASUS RT-N10P) and set up port forwarding. I set it up with the following settings:

Service Name: MB3     Port Range: 8096     Local IP 192.168.1.80 (used ipconfig to determine correct IP for PC running MBS v.3.0.5445.6 on port 8096)     Local Port: 8096     Protocol: Both (Should I change this to TCP?). Anyway, it still doesn't work so I'm guessing I set it up incorrectly. Suggestions?

I left the local and remote ports where they were by default at 8096. I went to my router (ASUS RT-N10P) and set up port forwarding. I set it up with the following settings:

Service Name: MB3     Port Range: 8096     Local IP 192.168.1.80 (used ipconfig to determine correct IP for PC running MBS v.3.0.5445.6 on port 8096)     Local Port: 8096     Protocol: Both (Should I change this to TCP?). Anyway, it still doesn't work so I'm guessing I set it up incorrectly. Suggestions?

well, we need some context on what doesn't work, e.g. what are you clicking on or filling out, etc. logs can also be helpful:

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/790-how-to-report-a-problem/

Mychale6563

well, we need some context on what doesn't work, e.g. what are you clicking on or filling out, etc. logs can also be helpful:

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/790-how-to-report-a-problem/

Oh, of course, my apologies. Here is a link to screenshots of the steps I took following setting up port forwarding on the router. There are also screenshots of my MB Server settings as well as the Port Forwarding settings in the router. Let me know what else you need and I'll get it for you! 

Deihmos

Are you trying to connect outside your home network using the local ip address? Are you sure the server is running? Do you have 3rd party firewall software?

Mychale6563

Are you trying to connect outside your home network using the local ip address? Are you sure the server is running? Do you have 3rd party firewall software?

Yes, I'm trying to connect outside my home network, but I'm trying to connect using MB Connect. And yes, I am positive that the server is running. And yes, I have Norton Internet Security as My firewall software.

I'm wanting to share my media server with my daughter and grandson, so yes, I want to be able to connect using the new feature MB Connect. I just completed about 3 hours of troubleshooting. I've forwarded port 8096, I've setup a static IP on the computer running the server. I even followed the directions in the Media Browser Port Forwarding Guide and tested it the way the document said to by as seen in the screenshot if you follow the link. I was able to successfully enter that url into the browser with my WAN IP and it did, in fact, bring up the appropriate Login page. But I still cannot log in to MB Connect from my Android Mobile App or through the browser on my Android mobile phone. If I turn Wi'fi on in my mobile phone, I'm able to connect to the server with no difficulties. But if the wi-fi is off and I'm connecting strictly through MBConnect, it is failing every time. Here are a few screenshots of what I've been trying. I even PAID for a software solution recommended in the MB Port Forwarding guide and tried to use that to set up the Port Forwarding. But when I tested to see if the Port was open, the Port Forward Network Utilities Port Check software said the port was closed and/or unreachable. I'm getting discouraged at this point and everyone is going offline. I'll keep at it though. Let me know if you think of something else I might should try.

Edited by MK_MediaLoVeR

Redshirt

Look at the server dashboard. Then input the highlighted address into your phone/tablet web browser when outside the home network. If that address doesn't show the server web client then your router isn't configured to allow remote traffic though.

5482a1618a04a_remote_access.png

Mychale6563

Look at the server dashboard. Then input the highlighted address into your phone/tablet web browser when outside the home network. If that address doesn't show the server web client then your router isn't configured to allow remote traffic though.

5482a1618a04a_remote_access.png

Yes, thank you. I'm afraid that part's been established. :-) Unfortunately, so far, I've been unsuccessful in configuring my router to allow for traffic. I followed all the Port Forwarding instruction to the letter and still no success. I have an ASUS RT-N10P router. Do you think I'm missing something? Is there some other setting besides Port Forwarding that will allow traffic to pass through to my server? I also have Norton Internet Security as my Firewall software but I completely turned it off to see if that might be the problem but I was still not able to reach the server. I've used Canyouseeme.org to test the Port and it is not able to see my service. The port is just not open for some reason. If you look at the screenshots in the links in earlier posts, you can see how I have the port forwarding configured. Still not right though.

Edited by MK_MediaLoVeR

Redshirt

Port forwarding is the correct procedure. You've made 100% sure that the address matches what is displayed for your network card when you type ipconfig in a cmd window? 

• Like 1

Mychale6563

Port forwarding is the correct procedure. You've made 100% sure that the address matches what is displayed for your network card when you type ipconfig in a cmd window? 

Yep. I even statically set the IP just to make sure there was NO chance of the IP changing on me. :-(

Edited by MK_MediaLoVeR

Redshirt

Looking at your router screenshot. You need to fill in the local port value (8096) as well. The router doesn't know what port to map the request to.

Mychale6563

Looking at your router screenshot. You need to fill in the local port value (8096) as well. The router doesn't know what port to map the request to.

Yep....my bad. I forgot about the changes made after that screenshot. I not only corrected the port forwarding settings, but when that didn't work, I tested changing the port number just in case 8096 has become well known enough that my ISP was blocking it or something. I changed it and configured it first just using TCP but that didn't work, so I tried it with BOTH and again, it's still not working. I have NO clue what I'm doing wrong. :-(  Here's a screenshot of the most current non-working settings.

Redshirt

Ok. Assuming that IP is correct, and the MB server is configured to that port for both internal and external. I suspect you need to restart MB Server after changing the ports it listens on. Best to do that just in case.

The router config looks Ok. I would suggest turning off Norton's firewall and making sure the Windows firewall is off as well. If your able to connect with both those turned off, then we know the problem is the PC's configuration and not the router. 

• Like 1