MB Connect sees Server but will not connect outside home network

Mychale6563

Mychale6563

Ok. Assuming that IP is correct, and the MB server is configured to that port for both internal and external. I suspect you need to restart MB Server after changing the ports it listens on. Best to do that just in case.

The router config looks Ok. I would suggest turning off Norton's firewall and making sure the Windows firewall is off as well. If your able to connect with both those turned off, then we know the problem is the PC's configuration and not the router. 

Okay.... IP is correct, MB Server completely shut down and restarted, Norton Turned Off Auto-Protect as well as the Firewall.... ran a port test on CanYouSeeMe.org which failed and tested the web client on my android w/ no wi-fi which also failed. You can see the most recent screenshots here. (They are dated and time-stamped in the name of the file). I'm stumped.

Redshirt

Canyouseeme.org is handy, but it doesn't help narrow down whether the issue is the router or the PC. For canyouseeme to work the PC has to respond to the request. I've verified my configuration is correct, but the test will still fail if MB server isn't running. I suspect the problem is purely the PC firewall, even though you've turned it off. Perhaps others will have a better way to test.

• Like 1

Mychale6563

Canyouseeme.org is handy, but it doesn't help narrow down whether the issue is the router or the PC. For canyouseeme to work the PC has to respond to the request. I've verified my configuration is correct, but the test will still fail if MB server isn't running. I suspect the problem is purely the PC firewall, even though you've turned it off. Perhaps others will have a better way to test.

What does that mean? Does that mean there is nothing more I can do? I'm not going to be able to use MB Connect?

Redshirt

I'm just pointing out that canyouseeme failing doesn't mean the issue is purely the router. I'm also saying I don't know what to suggest, that doesn't mean there's nothing to be done. Just that I don't have the answer.

Mychale6563

I'm just pointing out that canyouseeme failing doesn't mean the issue is purely the router. I'm also saying I don't know what to suggest, that doesn't mean there's nothing to be done. Just that I don't have the answer.

I see. Well, I really appreciate your effort. This is, apparently, a sticky one. I've been working on it for 9+ hours. Guess I'll sleep on it and hope the sun will come out tomorrow. :-)

Angelblue05

I have a quick question regarding your issue, because I don't think I've seen anyone ask it. Sorry for the information overload, but hopefully you'll find some of it useful! 

I've recently experience a similar thing. My brother restored his server (it never erased his server from my list of available server via Media Connect). I would log in using Media Connect and click his server and get the spinning wheel and nothing. Can you confirm your Media Connect email is still attached to your MB user with the little green cloud icon (verify under users in your MB dashboard)? Mine needed to be re-added after the restore. Sorry if this is no help...I just thought I'd add my input :)

Edit: I didn't realize you said the port was not opened. Just to recap the scattered information in this thread, you are going to: http://external.ip/8096/mediabrowser (replace external ip with your own) and it doesn't reach your server. You've also disabled your windows firewalls and antivirus firewall and it still didn't work. Wouldn't this just mean your router is not set up properly, even after all this? I've found this interesting link if you want to check the "To set up port forwarding for an HTTP server" section for your MBS port forwardinghttp://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/114093/ & also this link to enable your router UPnPhttp://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1000863/

If you are still using DHCP over static ip, you can prevent your internal IPs from changing, by reserving that ip / per device (maybe something named "dhcp reservation"). Unfortunately, the manual for your router doesn't give much information as to where you can accomplish that or even if this option exists. Here's a short youtube video that shows how to make your assigned ip static/reservedhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Osl_RQIzzIA

On a side note, not to hi-jack the thread, is there a way to delete old servers that no longer exists or have access to, from the Media Connect interface? If such feature doesn't exist, it might be useful to have some sort of clean up option; I have 6 variations of my brother's server and only one of them is valid.

Edited by Angelblue05

Beardyname

I see. Well, I really appreciate your effort. This is, apparently, a sticky one. I've been working on it for 9+ hours. Guess I'll sleep on it and hope the sun will come out tomorrow. :-)

We will figure it out :)

the last screenshot does not open for me, but i read it through and you said you filled in the local port as well. Now i would try un-checking the UPNP setting, Restart everything and try again, As RedShirt pointed out canyouseeme.org does not indicate if your router is setup correctly it is however a tool to see if MB3 responds for requests on that port. (if the router for example lacks hairpinning).

If that does not work, i would suggest (just for testing) that you install a test mb server on some other machine and change the port-forward to that machine's IP, just to see if the error is on the machine itself or on the router.

AgileHumor

I'd like to start of a draft guide to help router ports.  I'm a horrible writer, but here is my start:

Key terms:

• Internal Network - Private home network (local wifi or ethernet to MediaBrowserServer)
  • Internal Media Browser Server Port (IMBSPort) - Default 8096
  • Internal Media Browser Server  IP (IMBSIP) - Custom to your network (typically 192.168.x.x)
  • External Media Browser Server Port (EMBSPort) - Default 8096
  • External Media Browser Server  IP (EMBSIP) - Custom to your Internet provider

Internal Network Verification: You can do that by:

• Type the INTERNAL web page URL on a REMOTE device. Should look something like this: http://192.168.0.100:8096/mediabrowser (http://IMBSIP:IMBSPort/mediabrowser)
  • NOTE - Testing from the server won't work. You must use remote device such as a PC, Tablet, or phone connected to the same network as the 
  • Common Reasons for Internal Communication Problems:
    • Firewall built into 3rd Party AntiVirus Programs
    • Windows Firewall Enabled without an exception for the internal IMBSPort (typically 8096)
    • Not testing from a device on the the same private network as the Media Browser Server

External Verification:

• Verify external access by entering your External Media Browser Server Port (typically 8096)into http://www.canyouseeme.org/ from the Media Browser Server
  • Connect from an MediaBrowser App using your external IP address while outside the network (disconnected from Internal Network)
  • Common External Problems:
    • Router does not support UPNP and requires you to manually port forward the Media Browser Server port (typically 8096) with instructions for your router @ http://setuprouter.com/ 
    • Not connecting from a device outside your private Internal Network

@, have you verified connectivity from the Internal Network?  Any reason you decided to use non-standard port 4797 for your port forwarding? If not, you should change it back to 8096 while troubleshooting.

PS - Experts Question - does anyone know if Media Browser Server install creates a firewall exception rule during install?  My Windows firewall is disabled, and that has the effect of not creating rules during application installs (but I don't see one) if it's not enabled at time of install.  I'd prefer not to recommend to disable the firewall, but in my case I needed to.

Edited by AgileHumor
  • Like 2

Mychale6563

I'd like to start of a draft guide to help router ports.  I'm a horrible writer, but here is my start:

Key terms:

• Internal Network - Ensure PC is connectable from another machine on your private home network (local wifi or ethernet to MediaBrowserServer)
  • Internal Media Browser Server Port (IMBSPort) - Default 8096
  • Internal Media Browser Server  IP (IMBSIP) - Custom to your network
  • External Media Browser Server Port (EMBSPort) - Default 8096
  • External Media Browser Server  IP (EMBSIP) - Custom to your Internet provider

Internal Network Verification: You can do that by:

• Type the INTERNAL web page URL on a REMOTE device. Should look something like this: http://192.168.0.100:8096/mediabrowser (http://IMBSIP:IMBSPort/mediabrowser)
  • NOTE - Testing from the server won't work. You must use remote device such as a PC, Tablet, or phone connected to the same network as the 
  • Common Reasons for Internal Communication Problems:
    • Firewall built into 3rd Party AntiVirus Programs
    • Windows Firewall Enabled without an exception for the internal IMBSPort (typically 8096)
    • Not testing from a device on the the same private network as the Media Browser Server

External Verification:

• Verify external access by entering your External Media Browser Server Port (typically 8096)into http://www.canyouseeme.org/ from the Media Browser Server
  • Connect from an MediaBrowser App using your external IP address while outside the network (disconnected from Internal Network)
  • Common External Problems:
    • Router does not support UPNP and requires you to manually port forward the Media Browser Server port (typically 8096) with instructions for your router @ http://setuprouter.com/ 
    • Not connecting from a device outside your private Internal Network

@, have you verified connectivity from the Internal Network?  Any reason you decided to use non-standard port 4797 for your port forwarding? If not, you should change it back to 8096 while troubleshooting.

PS - Experts Question - does anyone know if Media Browser Server install creates a firewall exception rule?  My firewall is disabled, and that has the effect of not creating rules during application installs (but I don't see one).  I'd prefer not to recommend to disable the firewall, but in my case I needed to.

That's a great start! There are a couple of tweaks I would make to better clarify for those who know nothing about anything regarding networks and such, but a very good start.

To answer your question regarding the 4797 port configuration... I did that after about 8 hours of troubleshooting everything we could think of. I finally tried changing the ports on the VERY off chance that the 8096 port is known as a server port and possibly being blocked by my ISP. Now that I know that isn't the problem, I will change them back and update the port forwarding settings in my router. It was extremely late (or early this morning, should I say) when I finally gave up and I just couldn't bring myself to right everything then.

And yes to the "Have you verified connectivity from the internal network. Everything works beautifully as long as I'm connected to the home network.

I just had a thought about the way my network is currently setup and it occurs to me that I think I may know what the problem is.....

Always in the past, the dsl cable came directly into the house and connected to my Home network Router. But after a housefire we had, I ran ethernet throughout the house and had the DSL cable run into the utility room where the 4 port ISP modem/router connects to the DSL and then cables come off of there into the house where I have 2 routers set up on both ends of the house. One in the Living area of the house so we have good Wi-fi in the front of the house and one in the Back bedroom area of the house so there is reliable wi-fi back there. That means I probably need to set up the port forwarding on the ISP modem/router, not the internal home network router. Good grief!! If this is the answer, I'm going to kick myself!!!

The MBS is on the internal HOME1 router in the front of the house and is the middle man, per say. Sheesh.... going to check the UPnP setting on the first router in the daisy chain.

Edited by MK_MediaLoVeR

Yeah, that first router is the one with the external IP address and it needs to do the routing/forwarding.

Mychale6563

Yeah, that first router is the one with the external IP address and it needs to do the routing/forwarding.

I've been working on this all day...AGAIN!. :-(  I finally went to DynDNS.org to get a dynamic dns  to see if that would help. I have added the new hostname to DDNS in both routers (just to be on the safe side when I was still unable to connect with it only on DSL Router). You can see all my configuration setting here. I've done so much now with no success that my head is spinning. Can you make heads or tails of it?

Also, just so you know, I did test the internal network and was able to connect to the media server using the DDNS address from all devices as long as I was accessing through my local Home 1 network located on ASUS Int Router 1.

Mychale6563

You have a very complicated network (2 routers both needing port forwarding, the first from router to router)

Sadly, your in the 1% of users that may need an IT professional to help out.  Having 2 routers between you and the internet is a rare and very complex but should be able to double port forward.  Long term, they will recommend the second router operate as a wireless bridge rather than both operating as firewalls. 

What if I turned the internal router firewalls off? At the end of the day, the DSL router should be enough of a firewall. And I would LOVE to be able to pick up the phone and call and IT professional to help out. Unfortunately, I live in BFE America and sadly, I'M the closes thing we have to an IT Professional. LOL. I used to have a computer company and I did a lot of building PCs, OS and Apps training and a VERY small amount of small home and/or office networks. So when folks around here need a geek, they call me. Unfortunately, as you know very well, technology outruns us extremely fast and this network has definitely outpaced my skill set. I was doing the best I could to make sure the kids could all connect their stuff up to wi-fi and still have somewhat more stable wired connections for their PCs. Instead, I created a hot mess!!! Any help would be much appreciated. :-)

Happy2Play

MK_MediaLoVeR

Since MBS is pulling an IP from your internal router have you tried forwarding port 8096 from dsl router to internal router (192.168.1.1), 

Or you could set your second router up as an access point so all dhcp is pulled from router 1.

*Correction forward (8096) on router 1 to Wan IP on router 2 (192.168.254.14) so second router can forward that to 192.168.1.150.

5483a7f39c554_access.png

Edited by Happy2Play

Angelblue05

@

Follow up: If it's not done yet, you should definitively setup static internal ip for your server in your internal router. In case you missed the link on how to do that for your asus router, here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Osl_RQIzzIA. This will prevent your internal ip from changing. It is beneficial to your setup, since you have two routers that are constantly communicating with each other.

As you said, you can turn off your internal router's firewall (and probably leave it off), since your external router already has it enabled. :) Also, you should only have your external router setup with the ddns. There's no need to use ddns within your internal network.

The way I would think you need to set up the port forwarding is from your external router, find the assigned internal ip of your internal router. In your external router, port forward the port 8096, assigned to your internal router ip. Then, in your internal router, port forward port 8096, but this time assigned to the MBS internal static ip.

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

Mychale6563

That would work...or moving MediaBrowser server to network that router #1 is on (vs. keeping it on network #2).

Current:

Internet -> Router #1 -> Router #2

Recommended:

Internet -> Router #1 -> WiFi Access Point (plugged into Network #1)

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WA801ND-Wireless-300Mbps-Repeater/dp/B004UBU8IE/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1417914073&sr=1-1&keywords=Wireless+access+point

Putting the server on the DSL Router is not an option. There is no computer attached to that router at all. Just a DSL line that comes into the Utility room in the garage. Cat5 cables run from that router to 4 other rooms in the house. Then I have ASUS Router #1 in the front of the house (Media Server on a PC connected to this router) and one ASUS Router #2 in the back of the house where the kids have their PCs and game consoles connected. If I make both ASUS routers Access Points, will I still be able to connect devices to them wired for the more stable connection? Or will they then just be extended wireless signal devices? I wondered about that earlier when I was looking through all the settings of the ASUS router. What the effect of changing them to an Access Point would be. I can't wait to hear your opinion!!

Mychale6563

@

Follow up: If it's not done yet, you should definitively setup static internal ip for your server in your internal router. In case you missed the link on how to do that for your asus router, here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Osl_RQIzzIA. This will prevent your internal ip from changing. It is beneficial to your setup, since you have two routers that are constantly communicating with each other.

As you said, you can turn off your internal router's firewall (and probably leave it off), since your external router already has it enabled. :) Also, you should only have your external router setup with the ddns. There's no need to use ddns within your internal network.

The way I would think you need to set up the port forwarding is from your external router, find the assigned internal ip of your internal router. In your external router, port forward the port 8096, assigned to your internal router ip. Then, in your internal router, port forward port 8096, but this time assigned to the MBS internal static ip.

I set the MBS to a static IP last night. but the double port forwarding thing sounds very doable. AgileHumor and I were just discussing whether it would be better to double port forward or set both the internal routers to AccessPoint mode. Your thoughts?

Mychale6563

Everyone fasten your seat belts!!! The double port forwarding worked and the port is now OPEN!!! See here. I'm going to test MB Connect now. Cross your fingers!!! :D (I am totally singing the Hallelujah Chorus right now!)

• Like 2

Angelblue05

I set the MBS to a static IP last night. but the double port forwarding thing sounds very doable. AgileHumor and I were just discussing whether it would be better to double port forward or set both the internal routers to AccessPoint mode. Your thoughts?

In your case. I can see why AP could be better, since your router already gives you that option (badass, btw). You would not have to buy an access point for your network, which is great. It would definitely simplify your setup. In the future, you would only have to port forward once in your external router, to the assigned IP of your Media Browser server or any other devices that would require you to open a port. At this point, it is really up to you. Both options should technically work.

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 2

Mychale6563

Everyone fasten your seat belts!!! The double port forwarding worked and the port is now OPEN!!! See here. I'm going to test MB Connect now. Cross your fingers!!! :D (I am totally singing the Hallelujah Chorus right now!)

SUCCESS!!!! I am now able to access my MBS from devices outside my home network. Wow!!! The last 2 days have been a MAJOR education and with the exception of it being totally frustrating for all of us, I'm sure, you guys have been FANTASTIC and I've truly enjoyed learning something new from each and every one of you who reached out and helped me!!! You guys ROCK!!! I am now going to go break-dance in my living room and then I'm going to do an Irish Jig and THEN I'm going to crack open and drink a BOTTLE of wine!! LOL. I will absolutely raise a glass to each of you!! :-) I'm new to this forum and am not sure how you guys do it, but I would love to make you guys 'Friends'! Let me know if that's okay with you. :-) Have a wonderful evening!!!

• Like 5

Mychale6563

Really happy for you :) Cheers!

I could not have done it without you guys. What a great bunch! Even late last night, the members who were online were very responsive. I'm totally impressed with the MB Community!! Glad to be on board!