Game Browser Issue

xXSagaiaXx

xXSagaiaXx

emulators are tricky because the client machine will probably have to download the game first so that it can be fed into emulator. so i am guessing supporting connect with MBC will start with game playback unavailable and then build on it as time goes on.

That was my thought on the emulators as well but on the arcade and neogeo emulators I have the actual roms on my cousins machine cause this is the only way I am able to get them to work with gamebrowser, even on my machine. Anyway, I tried one of the arcade  before I sent my last post and it did what I described above. 

I know that this is off topic but does anyone have a fix for the gamebrowser related issue minus the MB connect problem?

Thanks,

S.

Okay I got the log to attach

MBClassic-301120146b109802a310470aaec2d3f585f86656.log

Edited by xXSagaiaXx

shaefurr

I'm confused, what is the exact issue here, games need to be downloaded to the client machine first?

All games should stream just fine from the server to client including larger games with ISOs as long as you have a fast enough wifi or are using a wired LAN connection. Unless I misunderstood the problem...

I'm confused, what is the exact issue here, games need to be downloaded to the client machine first?

All games should stream just fine from the server to client including larger games with ISOs as long as you have a fast enough wifi or are using a wired LAN connection. Unless I misunderstood the problem...

are you sure? think of how old the emulators are. i doubt they support an http url to a rom.

• Like 1

shaefurr

Oh, missed the part about arcade and neo geo. But ya you're probably right, and I know MAME doesn't use the rom path like most emulators as it uses the rom name instead.

Would love to test it out but I dont have either of those consoles at the moment. I was just referring to nes, snes, n64 etc. Guess it helps to read the entire post :P

xXSagaiaXx

I think where some of the confusion may lie is that this was a discussion from another post. What I am having trouble with is my cousin has MBC running on a machine at his house and he is connected to my MB server through my ip address. He can play movies and music just fine. When it comes to playing any emulated games from my server he is unable. The only thing that happens when he goes to start a game is media browser tried to play it as a movie (you see the time bar at the bottom) and not a game. when I had his PC on my network and testing it everything ran fine, even the emulators.

Thanks,

S.

Yeah, I don't think games are going to work across a WAN connection and that is the issue.  I doubt anyone has ever tried this before.

Can I please see a log when this is attempted and maybe I can arrest it and at least show a proper message.

xXSagaiaXx

Damn, that's unfortunate. The log that I included from my first post is where I attempted to start a game. I believe I tried to start 19XX.

S.

I think the GameBrowser Classic plug-in is going to have to catch the situation and keep it from trying to play.  Or, on the off chance that an emulator can handle a http reference to the ROM, @@Redshirt you need to set the SupportsStreamedContent property on the playable to true.

• 4 weeks later...

It doesn't sound like you read what Ebr said. It's not supported unless the emulator can handle an http reference. So the "fix" is really going to be to take away the play button when that is the case.

xXSagaiaXx

I think the GameBrowser Classic plug-in is going to have to catch the situation and keep it from trying to play.  Or, on the off chance that an emulator can handle a http reference to the ROM, @@Redshirt you need to set the SupportsStreamedContent property on the playable to true.

It doesn't sound like you read what Ebr said. It's not supported unless the emulator can handle an http reference. So the "fix" is really going to be to take away the play button when that is the case.

No! I read what he said, I just misinterpreted what Ebr said. Is there a switch setting to set so that it'll load a rom from the client machine instead of trying to load it from the server?

S.

No, all the content comes from the server.

However, you could probably trick it if you really wanted to by duplicating the items on the server and the client machine with the exact same path references.  For instance, if you had the Roms on the server in "D:\Games" and then copied them also to the client machine in the same location for that machine, it should work.

• 2 months later...
xXSagaiaXx

Yeah, this didn't pan out either. I guess I'm going to have to outfit my cousin with a local media browser server.