Covertart WMV movies shown as Bluray

ronvp

Excellent. it makes more sense to me and as I remember, the old coverart used to do it that way

No, this is the same logic that's been there.  The only change was to treat VC-1 as BD which was by request.

No, this is the same logic that's been there.  The only change was to treat VC-1 as BD which was by request.

maybe so, but I can remember that my WMV, MKV and MP4 files were showing their file type on the cover labels.

Also, I found that there is no way I can map the h264 to MP4. if I do map  it, it shows up as MPEG.. But if I map the H264 to MKV it does show up correctly as MKV..

Edit, one more thing, I noticed that the Clearcase thumbs do not get any labels whatsoever, could we add that in the feature?

Edited by ronvp

mp4 == Mpeg.

Not really, the MPEG is the video codec/algorithm and the MP4 is the container

This is from the web:

1.MPEG4 is a video encoding algorithm while an MP4 is a media container.

2.MP4 is defined under Part 14 of the MPEG4 specification.

3.An MP4 file can have an MPEG4 video that is encoded by various codecs.

Read more: Difference Between MPEG4 and MP4 | Difference Between | MPEG4 vs MP4 http://www.differencebetween.net/technology/protocols-formats/difference-between-mpeg4-and-mp4/#ixzz3KkrOnC9y

Edited by ronvp

• 7 months later...
pclausen

Add me as another vote for having VC-1 Encoded Blu-Rays showing "VC-1" as opposed to "Blu-Ray" on the blue covers.

Singling out VC-1 encoded titles getting the generic Blu-Ray cover treatments seems very inconsistent.

Looks like there is also an issue with MPEG-2 encoded Blu-Ray's.  They are getting the dark grey DVD covers as opposed to the blue cover treatment.

Perhaps the size the the video file can be used to determine the cover treatment?

Edited by pclausen

Looks like there is also an issue with MPEG-2 encoded Blu-Ray's. 

I didn't think there was any such thing.  Do you mean a BD disc that you re-rip to another container in MPeg-2?

pclausen

A lot of the earlier Blu-Ray releases were encoded using MPEG-2 and PCM audio.  I have quite a few in my collection.  As already mentioned, VC-1 was used primarily by the Microsoft backed HD-DVD format.  A few Blu-Ray studios also released VC-1 titles.

It took a while for the studios to get fully spun up on H.264, so a lot of them fell back to encoding with the venerable MPEG-2 encoder for the first year or so of Blu-Ray releases.  I have a lot of those titles, and several of them are dual-sided and use almost all 50GB of available storage since the MPEG-2 encode was not nearly as efficient at the H.264 and VC-1 codecs.  Some MPEG-2 encodes push very high bitrates, some being over 40 Mbps.

At any rate, it would be nice to have MPEG-2 encoded titles show up with the blue frames like the rest of the BRD titles.

A DVD title maxes out at 4.7GB per side, so the  max DVD MPEG-2 encode you will ever see is 9.4GB.  Looking at my DVDs that I ripped to MKV containers, the largest one I have (out of 800) is 7.6GB (The English Patient).

Here's a sample of some of my BRD MPEG-2 encodes.  I probably have a few hundred total such Blu-Ray titles on my shelves.

mpeg2bluray.PNG

So if logic can be added to treat MPEG-2 encodes less than 9.4GB as DVD and MPEG-2 encodes larger than 9.4GB as Blu-Ray, that would be awesome.

CA just deals with images.  It doesn't know what the original file size is (there may not even be a file - it could be a web stream).  It could potentially use video width.

But, to do this, I'd have to double up the possible treatments with different colors.  I'm not sure the demand is going to warrant that effort or additional size.

If these items are physically separate from other parts of your library, you could create a CA profile for them and give them any cover you wish.  You could also use the "Cover by Definition" option and it would work even if they are mixed in with others.

pclausen

Yes, I have all my feature length movies divided into the following folders:

Blu-Ray

DVD

HD-DVD

I'll have to read up on using CA profiles.  Sounds like that might do the trick for me.  Maybe I can even make the HD-DVD cover frames red to match how they were originally retailed?  That's about the only thing I really miss from the days of running MyMovies to manage my collection.

Edited by pclausen

pclausen

Ah, using CA profiles I was 100% able to configure things to my liking!  What a great plugin!

BTW - you can also use the "Treat image as" field in the metadata manager on specific titles.  If you want a particular item to have an HD-DVD cover, put "HD-DVD" in that field and save.