Question about dvd folders without VIDEO_TS

Kevin3824

Kevin3824

Ok So Here is a recent problem set I am experiencing. My system was up and running yesterday very well in general. It seemed to need to  get guide updates more frequently  and pushed through with server smc for the live tv to work but that was not the issue I am experiencing today. 

I was downloading trailers from youtube this morning and saving them to the folder that contained the movie they were associated with. I have been doing this for a very long time as my collection is quite large and I do not currently have all the trailers stored locally for every movie I own. I simply download it from youtube then store it in the movie folder and rename it the name of the movie.Trailer and until yesterday it allowed me to  have the trailer available in the movie description. 

Today I noticed that my mediabrowser had updated so I decided to restart it to make sure the changes took effect properly. When I did this it opened up in the latest movies screen. That was normal except prior to that  it actually showed my most recent additions to the movies. Now it shows basically image holders and two images of a single movie that is really a clip of like 2 minutes that I have never heard of. All the blank holders also seem to be for clips that range in length from 0 seconds to 2 minutes. I have also noticed that my movie count has gone up by approximately 400 movies since yesterday and I have only added about 6 movies in that time to the library.

I got really concerned when I read in another thread something about the trailer type being eliminated. I am going through my movie library to find any reference to the one movie title that is showing up in latest movies but as it is only showing in two of the slots on the entire latest movie page. I don't recognize the title or image as anything I have downloaded or purchased. I am not sure how to resolve this issue. I am wondering if this has to do with my limited available hard drive space. I am really hoping that I don't have to go through and add a separate folder for each of my movies to hold the trailer in it. I also dont really like the idea of having all the trailers of the movies I own in one folder either.

post-3609-0-46672700-1417299245_thumb.gif

Edited by Kevin3824

Ok, can you give me an exact example of the file names? a screenshot of the inside of a movie folder would be great. thanks.

Local trailer still work but they should be movie-trailer.ext.

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/674-library-structure/&do=findComment&comment=21484

Yea it's always been that way and I'm guessing this is what the answer is going end up being.

we've never claimed to support movie.trailer.ext. we could look at adding it but it's never been part of our documentation.

Kevin3824

Here is a screen shot of one of my movie files that appears to be corrupted to me anyhow. It has multiple  additions to it today I did not intentionally make.

post-3609-0-36808900-1417300414_thumb.gif

post-3609-0-34498700-1417300425_thumb.gif

Kevin3824

I went to that believed corrupted file the collector and deleted all the changes made today and am going to see if a media scan will change  the lastest screen at all. There were 22 files added to that  folder today  that I did not intentionally add to it. 

That did not seem to change it but I noticed that it seems  that  10 files on that hard drive were modified today and I only changed two of those ten. the ones that were modified all seem to have multiple files in each that were changed.

Edited by Kevin3824

as a test, can you take the dvd structure, add a VIDEO_TS folder, and move all of the dvd files into there (not images, trailer, metadata, etc). we've actually always required a video_ts folder so I'm surprised you didn't have issues before:

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/674-media-files-folders-structure

if a lot of people are using dvd structures without VIDEO_TS then I suppose we can look at supporting it

Kevin3824

The thing is  I have always had a video ts folder in there  and today something happened and I have ten folders corrupted  it seems.When I go to them in the movies tab I can see  and play both the movie and the trailer there  but that "latest" tab is completely corrupted. I would like to know what caused those ten files to be modified today if I did not change them.I was not working in 8 out of ten of those folders today at all. The hard drive they are stored on is different then my other hard drives and that could also have something to do with how mediabrowser interacts with it. That particular hard drive is a Netgear Digital Entertainer Elite that came with a 500 GB network HDD in it from the factory. I have not noticed if any of my standard WD network hard drive contain files that were changed today or not at this point

I did that with the collector folder and it seems to have added that to the latest movies page even though that movie has been on the hard drive over a year now. it is not yet showing the movies I put on there last night on that page but I believe once I get the other ten movies  repaired it may.

i don't know what 10 files you mean. but right now, they're secondary to the folder structure. if you're saying you used to have a video_ts folder organization then all i can tell you is media browser would not changed that.

Kevin3824

When I look at any movie directory on my network the tree goes Network>hard drive name>public>shared Movies>Movie Title (folder). Within the movie title folder there are typically only two directories one for extra fanart and one for extra thumbs. the remaining files are image, tag,tbn, xml, the actual movie file, and the trailer video.

That system has worked flawlessly with media browser until this last update. I have over 1000 movies stored on several hard drives in that manner. when I go to the movies tab in media browser it seems to work fine. When the media browser updated I noticed that ten folders on one of my network hard drives were modified and now displayed  with several VIDEO_TS files in them and that my tab for recently added movies was trashed. I actually thought my system had been infected because that one page showed up in that manner and those ten files had been modified and I only added trailers to two of those ten files.

I thought I was following your very instructions that stated I could store the trailer in a format of movieName-Trailer in the same folder as the Movie was stored and that did not mention the need for a separate directory titled VIDEO_TS.

Trailers

Trailers can be stored in a trailers sub-folder under movie, box set, series, season or game folders.

/Movies
   /Home Alone (1990)
     /trailers
         trailer.mkv
     Home Alone (1990).mkv

Alternatively, trailers can also be stored alongside the main movie using the -trailer suffix.

/Movies
   /Home Alone (1990)
     Home Alone.mkv
     Home Alone-trailer.mp4

ok, maybe that part of the wiki needs to mention that is for video files. further below that we have an example for a dvd folder structure. i will improve the wiki.

if your trailers are movie-trailer then that's fine. it's really the organizational structure.

Kevin3824

its is all good but something changed and now my latest movies page is really messed up and like I said at least eight of my movie directories have been modified today and now they all seem to have a bunch of VIDEO_TS files in them that and not the standard files I am used to seeing in the directories on my system. None of my other directories have or show any video ts files or folders. I don't think ignoring the page for a little while until I get enough new movies to repopulate it correctly  should be the answer to this issue. Nor do I think going into the movie directory folder and adding a VIDEO_TS directory  and moving all the video_TD files  to it as those corrupt directories  are only showing VIDEO_TS files in them 

Im really pretty unclear as to how this happened and that is a big part of my problem. I want to understand what changed that caused only eight files on my network storage device to be changed and not all of those directories I added trailers to the other two of the ten directories. 

I guess I could simply delete those eight movies and then record them again but that doesnt seem right to do either as I don't know why it happened or if it happened to any other files. Or even if doing so would fix my latest  movies page 

well the answer is make sure the dvd folder structures have a VIDEO_TS sub-folder. What are doing is not supported, and it wasn't before. It never has been. And I don't mind adding if it will help a lot of people, but as of today it's not supported. That means you can expect side effects such as this. It is seeing them all as individual video files.

Kevin3824

The thing is I normally don't see any VTS files in my directories. When I record something to hard drive I save it as .mkv files for the movies and .mp4 for the trailers in general. 

I am just going off of the Collector example which is a dvd folder structure that is missing VIDEO_TS. That's the only affected example I've seen. if you're having a similar issue with plain video files, then please post more folder screenshots so that we can try and identify them.

Kevin3824

So I went back into each of the eight directories I that I found that were modified and created a VIDEO_TS folder and put all the VTS files in that directory.  That changed my Recent movies page to indicate each of those movies were new. but I did get back the movies I recorded yesterday as well on that page so it looks much better. The system then went and identified them and added more files to each of the movie directories for art and xml pages etc. 

Should I go through and add VIDEO_TS folders to each movie directory and then drop the mkv files in there?

Should I also modify how the files are saved in each future directory to be movie title>VIDEO_TS>movie.mkv?

I am just trying to get the most out of this system and my collection is large so I have been spending a lot of time  just trying to get the trailers for each movie I own locally stored as well as images for each such as backgrounds, primary, logo, disc.

I am currently using a few Roku 3 to watch most of the media on tvs throughout the house as well.

I just noticed that the movies I put the files into VIDEO_TS directory now say they are DVD above the image and not H-264

Edited by Kevin3824

truthfully i'm having trouble visualizing this., so screenshots are best. 

VIDEO_TS is used with dvd folder structures. mkv's are an alternative to dvd, not something that you would use together, unless we're talking about dvd movie + mkv trailer. so if i had to guess i would say there are probably some weird things going on in your library structure that is probably causing side effects in media browser.

I can actually confirm what the OP noticed with the latest server update. I apparently had a single DVD that had the files not in a VIDEO_TS folder and with the latest update it showed up in my latest movies menu with each individual mpeg file as its own. I moved it to a video_ts folder and it was fine. Something definitely changed but like you said it's easy enough to fix.

I can actually confirm what the OP noticed with the latest server update. I apparently had a single DVD that had the files not in a VIDEO_TS folder and with the latest update it showed up in my latest movies menu with each individual mpeg file as its own. I moved it to a video_ts folder and it was fine. Something definitely changed but like you said it's easy enough to fix.

what changed is that the side effects weren't as visible as they are now. but even though they appeared ok before, they were not being detected as dvd, which would still wind up causing problems in other respects such as playback.

this was after adding VIDEO_TS directories to the eight directories  I believe were changed 

well that all looks fine to me. VIDEO_TS = dvd so the fact that you're seeing a dvd icon means it is working as expected. if you are saying it's supposed to be mkv then i need to see the folder structures like the other screenshots.

what changed is that the side effects weren't as visible as they are now. but even though they appeared ok before, they were not being detected as dvd, which would still wind up causing problems in other respects such as playback.

What is bizarre is I'm sure we've watched that movie that I had not in a video_ts folder many times in the past, as it's one of my wife's favorites (Goonies :) ) and I'm sure it played back fine.

What is bizarre is I'm sure we've watched that movie that I had not in a video_ts folder many times in the past, as it's one of my wife's favorites (Goonies :) ) and I'm sure it played back fine.

it just depend on what client, and more importantly, what video player the client uses. some might be able to adapt and realize that it is a dvd structure. others that depend more on server-provided information will have problems.

it just depend on what client, and more importantly, what video player the client uses. some might be able to adapt and realize that it is a dvd structure. others that depend more on server-provided information will have problems.

Makes sense. We would've used MBC to watch it so I guess the native player in WMC could handle them outside of a video_ts folder.