Missing Boxset Collection in MBC

hydriplex
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

hydriplex

I saw a few errors when mounting ISO's for a few game titles in the log. I haven't fully setup GameBrowser, so I removed this library. Upon server restart, one movie appears in my box sets - Die Hard, With a Vengeance.

This shortcut is created the same as the others, but now it is appearing in the web interface when it previously wasn't.

Recreated the shortcuts - it has disappeared once again.

hydriplex

I'm sure this is because of how you have the shortcuts defined.

I'm not using network paths, soft links, or any other strange magic on my machine, though. I simply have a secondary internal hard drive, where all my media resides. Surely others use this sort of system?

hydriplex

Ebr, when you noticed I had some assorted XML errors in my log, I removed all XML files in my movies folder and allowed MediaBrowser to regenerate them.

I noticed just now that two of the Die Hard movies were not regenerating the movie.xml files like it was supposed to. I removed these folders from my Library folder, performed a scan, stopped the service, cleaned out ALL metadata, then placed the folders back.

Once I started the service once again, all metadata was correctly downloaded, including the movie.xml

I recreated the shortcuts. Still nothing.

If my movie folder is located at "E:\My Documents\My Videos\Movies\Die Hard (1988)\" and this is exactly where my shortcut is pointing to, why won't it resolve?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2014423/server-63518645144.log

Edited by hydriplex

What is the path that you used to setup the media library with in the dashboard? That's what needs to match. 

hydriplex

What is the path that you used to setup the media library with in the dashboard? That's what needs to match. 

It's all consistent, from any configuration standpoint I can see, I always point everything directly to the E: Drive:

526fee5e1dfc1_Movies.png

526fee7c19e1c_BoxSet.png

• Solution

The lnk files might be bad. Try recreating them. We use a windows api method to extract the path out of the shortcut, and it's returning empty for whatever reason.

• Like 1

hydriplex

The lnk files might be bad. Try recreating them. We use a windows api method to extract the path out of the shortcut, and it's returning empty for whatever reason.

I have recreated these lnk's using several different methods throughout this troubleshooting exercise, with no success. However, since you stated it was a Windows API, I tried the good old fashioned Right Click > New > Shortcut

After pointing it to a folder and performing another library scan - it has appeared in the web interface!

I have duplicated this success with another movie in the same box set. It appears this is the only method of creating a shortcut that works, even when using Window's GUI in other context menus, such as copying a folder then pasting a shortcut.

johnchimpo

Wish I could have seen this earlier and I would have helped out. I had this same issue and despite all the paths appearing correct I had some boxsets that would not populate the internal films. I had used the CTRL+SHIFT+Drag method to create the shortcuts over UNC from my workstation running Win 8. Once I used the New Shortcut menu to set them it worked just perfectly.

hydriplex

I'm going about the hard work of creating shortcuts as I mentioned above. It's definitely not easy going, but it's working - which is the important part.

Thanks again to ebr and luke for your help, I see no discernable difference in the shortcuts created by different methods (they are even the same size), but this different method fixed the issue.

I have been a user of MediaBrowser for years, and I appreciate all your hard work and what you do for the community.

hydriplex

well i have to say that no matter WHAT method of creating the shortcuts i just cant get this 1 boxset to work in mb3... retried just now after reading the last few posts on this thread.... 

some details that pertain

current dev server release:  Version 3.0.5050.37565

MBS SERVER: win 7 pro x64

unraid server at:  \\TOWER\Media\Movies\ and \\TOWER\Media\Boxsets\ for the high-level folders involved AND for how the def. media library collections are defined in MBS

im attempting to find any method to leave these select 100 films in the Movies library/folder and yet have them collected together in an AFI Top 100 films boxset .. ive done the following..

-used the exact folder/shortcuts that previously worked on mb2.x from an old backup

-single folder of "right click, send to, desktop create shortcut" and then copy that to the boxset target folder

-ctrl+shift+drag method mentioned here... 

all methods produce fine working windows shortcuts.. that use the proper unc path to get to the intended destination folder contents (where the media file is)...

then i goto MBS and run a manual library scan to pickup the boxset ive added.. its folder image... and ... thats it.. its an empty set to MBS

picture is worth 1000 words

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y4vrgg8vb9f7g9n/afishortcut.jpg

last mbs log of me attempting this process again a couple times today

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l2cv1g6w1rw08es/server-63518804115.rar

I know, itseems silly, but have you tried entering your box set folder and then creating a shortcut via right click > New > Shortcut, and pointing the path to the media folder? That's the only way I was able to resolve my issues, and I did not see you mention this method.

• Like 1

MrWebsmith

im fine with silly and manually x100 at this point if something works.. ill clear out the contents of that folder and try it this way from within the target (boxset) folder.. ill update you shortly if you care to see if it paid off! ;)

• Like 1

MrWebsmith

well i have to say that no matter WHAT method of creating the shortcuts i just cant get this 1 boxset to work in mb3... retried just now after reading the last few posts on this thread.... 

some details that pertain

current dev server release:  Version 3.0.5050.37565

MBS SERVER: win 7 pro x64

unraid server at:  \\TOWER\Media\Movies\ and \\TOWER\Media\Boxsets\ for the high-level folders involved AND for how the def. media library collections are defined in MBS

im attempting to find any method to leave these select 100 films in the Movies library/folder and yet have them collected together in an AFI Top 100 films boxset .. ive done the following..

-used the exact folder/shortcuts that previously worked on mb2.x from an old backup

-single folder of "right click, send to, desktop create shortcut" and then copy that to the boxset target folder

-ctrl+shift+drag method mentioned here... 

all methods produce fine working windows shortcuts.. that use the proper unc path to get to the intended destination folder contents (where the media file is)...

then i goto MBS and run a manual library scan to pickup the boxset ive added.. its folder image... and ... thats it.. its an empty set to MBS

picture is worth 1000 words

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y4vrgg8vb9f7g9n/afishortcut.jpg

last mbs log of me attempting this process again a couple times today

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l2cv1g6w1rw08es/server-63518804115.rar

Edited by MrWebsmith

MrWebsmith

alas that did not help/work... it was worth a shot.. thanks for trying to help though!

mboehler

I see the shortcut for one of the movies is named "All the President's Men (1976) - Shortcut".

Does it make a difference if the shortcut is named "All the President's Men (1976)" instead?

Edited by mboehler
  • Like 1

MrWebsmith

doing it the most recent way (the right click/new/shortcut... the browsing all the way to the unc path for that film) Does make it that way (without the "-shortcut")... and the shortcut was 2kb instead of 3kb... however even though all that seemed promising, after the lib. scan im still sitting at an empty boxet

mboehler

doing it the most recent way (the right click/new/shortcut... the browsing all the way to the unc path for that film) Does make it that way (without the "-shortcut")... and the shortcut was 2kb instead of 3kb... however even though all that seemed promising, after the lib. scan im still sitting at an empty boxet

Does this problem only occur on boxsets?  Do you have shortcuts in use anywhere else?

• Like 1

mboehler

Could it be a permissions problem somewhere?

As a test, I just Right-Click & Dragged a movie folder into one of my boxsets.  I had MB Server do a scan and it showed up fine in my collection.

5272bea47cc1b_shortcut.jpg

• Like 1

MrWebsmith

no shortcuts anyplace else.. and this is the only boxset thats based in shortcuts at all.. all 150 other sets are physically together.. as in.. the star wards films are really located on the boxset drives..and only exist in that collection (unfortunately.. id love to get them to be all shortcuts and ahve them all just in \movies but i wanted this set to prove that shortcuts can work for me)...

reading through this whole thread i did notice one difference that id love @@ebr or @@Luke to comment on... this library (and all my libs) were created LONG ago in mbs.. and currently this one has (like the others) a "type" of "generic/mixed"... should i try to remove this entire collection and re-add as type=boxset? will it stumble at all over the fact that 99% of the sets will be physical and this one will be shortcut-based??

mboehler

no shortcuts anyplace else.. and this is the only boxset thats based in shortcuts at all.. all 150 other sets are physically together.. as in.. the star wards films are really located on the boxset drives..and only exist in that collection (unfortunately.. id love to get them to be all shortcuts and ahve them all just in \movies but i wanted this set to prove that shortcuts can work for me)...

reading through this whole thread i did notice one difference that id love @@ebr or @@Luke to comment on... this library (and all my libs) were created LONG ago in mbs.. and currently this one has (like the others) a "type" of "generic/mixed"... should i try to remove this entire collection and re-add as type=boxset? will it stumble at all over the fact that 99% of the sets will be physical and this one will be shortcut-based??

You might be onto something there.  I recreated all my collections a couple months ago when I installed MB Server on my new server PC.  The collection has a type of "Movies".

Can you create a new "Movies" collection to test this with?

• Like 1

johnchimpo

Just to jump in and say that how the shortcut is created does seem to matter - I never could get the drag method to work but using the new shortcut menu resulted in no problems whatsoever.

• Like 2

couldn't hurt but likely won't matter.

• Like 1