Missing Boxset Collection in MBC

hydriplex
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

hydriplex

I've been using Media Browser for a number of years, and have never setup box sets on my collection of a couple hundred movies. So, I figured, now is a good time.

I created a new folder in my videos directory, created a few box sets, added a new collection in the dashboard, and Mediabrowser populated these folders with metadata, as expected.

In my folder structure, I have appended the [boxset] tag to the "root" folders, and inside are simple shortcuts to the movie folders.

I can see the new box set collection in the web interface, but I cannot figure out why it will not display in Classic. Any suggestions?

Also, on another note, is there any good location to find video backdrops for boxsets?

hydriplex

Not that I know of - I have only one profile, and I never configured parental controls. I can double check once I get off work, but to my knowledge, there should be zero parental controls in place.

Okay, then a picture of what you have in the web client/file system and an MBC log would probably help find the issue.

hydriplex

Okay, after remoting into my machine to take screenshots I realized that I must have a folder structure problem. The box set collection does show in the web interface, but it lists no movies - this is why it does not appear in MBC:

526926e4e7889_WebInterface.png

This is my box set folder, and my folder structure for each title:

5269272e0e1df_Root.png

5269274b18b70_Folder.png

Am I correct to think that I can just create shortcuts to the folders in my collection? Or is my implementation not correct?

That should work, but what you have to be sure of is that the shortcut reference matches the library reference.  You probably used a UNC path to define the library but created the shortcut with a mapped drive...

hydriplex

All my media resides on a secondary internal hard drive. I have no network files in my setup at all.

In the web interface, the path for Die Hard is listed as: E:\My Documents\My Videos\Movies\Die Hard (1988)\Die Hard (1988).avi

And the shortcut to the movie folder in the box sets is: E:\My Documents\My Videos\Movies\Die Hard (1988)

In my Media Library, all my paths are pointed to the E:\ drive in turn, ex, Movies is pointed to E:\My Documents\My Videos\Movies

It seems this is all consistent, unless I'm missing something?

I moved this over to the server area since this is actually a library setup issue of some sort.  Maybe Luke will spot something with the setup.  It sounds correct to me.

Also a server log may shed some light.

crashkelly

Might seem a bit silly, but if when you are in the boxset folder in windows explorer, try switching the view to one of the icon views to see if the folder images show up for the shortcuts. If they do, then the reference would be correct, if they don't then the reference my be incorrect or it may be a permission issue because you are storing everything as children of the "My Documents" folder which may have issue due to it being a library.

Just putting it out there and I have no idea if it is anything to do with what I am talking about :)

Cheers

hydriplex

What collection type did you pick when you setup the collection?

Box sets, I have also pulled the latest server log: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2014423/server-63518169787.log

Might seem a bit silly, but if when you are in the boxset folder in windows explorer, try switching the view to one of the icon views to see if the folder images show up for the shortcuts. If they do, then the reference would be correct, if they don't then the reference my be incorrect or it may be a permission issue because you are storing everything as children of the "My Documents" folder which may have issue due to it being a library.

Just putting it out there and I have no idea if it is anything to do with what I am talking about :)

Cheers

Shortcuts are working fine, I can open the shortcut and it takes me directly into the proper folder, and it pulls the correct icon for a "working shortcut".

Edited by hydriplex

crashkelly

Not that this is necessarily an answer, but rather a similar situation.

On my system I have noticed this sometimes as well. Everything is in place right down to the metadata for the movies that are part of the collection, but yet the box set still will show "0 movies". I will mess with it by re-running the scan media collection tool and it does not fix it, but after I lave it alone and let MB3 do what it does, the issue seems to get resolved and the movies show up as part of the boxset.

I know that this is not a solution, but I think it might be a chicken and egg issue that MB sorts out itself

Cheers

What is the source of your movie.xml files?  Looks like they have some unsupported information in them.  May not be related but is a problem.

Also, can you re-start the server and post that log please?  That one didn't have a startup sequence in it.

hydriplex

What is the source of your movie.xml files?  Looks like they have some unsupported information in them.  May not be related but is a problem.

Also, can you re-start the server and post that log please?  That one didn't have a startup sequence in it.

Media Center Master, I still use it to pull meta and rename files.

Here is a new server log after the restart cycle: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2014423/server-63518213344.log

Yeah, those references to your media are not valid.  "E:\My Documents" isn't a real place.  Explorer fudges it up for you to direct it at your user directory.  You need to be pointing to E:\Users\[username]\My Documents.

Plus, your xml files have bad info in them that may be causing other issues.  Be sure you are using the latest MCM and that you have MB3 metadata turned on (if that's an option).

hydriplex

For some background, I've been in the field of IT for 8 years. I promise "E:\My Documents" is the valid location. I have remapped the assorted Windows Libraries to this location, although my user profile resides on C: - I've always used this system:

52695997b15b9_DOS.png

It's a real folder.

I'll delete the metadata and pull it back down for these handfuls of movies tonight - to see if it makes any difference. It's the only thing that makes sense to me right now.

Edited by hydriplex

Okay, well it is quite possible that our shortcut resolution routines cannot decipher the redirection you have going on there.

I see a bug. We're performing double concatenation of the movie xml file in some rare instances, and it looks like he's run into it. 

So we're trying to put together a path of E:\movies\My Movie\E:\movies\My movie\movie.xml.

hydriplex

It will be fixed in the next server release.

Just saw your replies, it's nice to know I'm not going crazy.

Thanks so much ebr, crashkelly, and Luke for all your help!

• Like 1