Timeout issues

saitoh183

saitoh183

MBS version 3.0.5424.1

XBMB3C 9.0.703

This problem has been happening even in the few last version of MBS and XBMB3C(in XBMC 13.2 & Kodi beta 2)

The timeout seems to happening randomly but most of the times (for me anyways) its a few seconds after startup

Here are a few reference links

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/9255-titan-mediabrowser-skin-for-xbmc/page-23&do=findComment&comment=148289

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/9255-titan-mediabrowser-skin-for-xbmc/page-23&do=findComment&comment=148295

Others have stated the same issue (in the links above) but we have yet to find a full proof way to reproduce the error.I have thought it was because both machines are running at the same time with the same mbs user but it was not that.

Here is a log, the problem happened as i was writing this.It happened as im watching a show this time.

MBS : https://db.tt/dJhBbwpf ( line 35148 to 35150)

Kodi: https://db.tt/ittndMM8 (start at line 62870)

@@xnappo, @ and @@im85288 any ideas? 

• Like 1

marcelveldt

I was able to reproduce this error too on my development machine but after restarting my MB3 server it didn't happen.

My guess is that it's some kind of timing issue.

I will check the code myself if I can see anything that could cause...

2014-11-15 12:39:29.5747 Error - DtoUtils: ServiceBase<TRequest>::Service Exception
	GUID muss 32 Ziffern mit 4 Bindestrichen enthalten (xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx).
	System.FormatException
	   bei System.Guid.TryParseGuidWithNoStyle(String guidString, GuidResult& result)
	   bei System.Guid.TryParseGuid(String g, GuidStyles flags, GuidResult& result)
	   bei System.Guid..ctor(String g)
	   bei MediaBrowser.Api.Images.ImageService.Get(GetItemImage request)
	   bei lambda_method(Closure , Object , Object )
	   bei ServiceStack.Host.ServiceRunner`1.Execute(IRequest request, Object instance, TRequest requestDto)

2014-11-15 12:39:29.5747 Error - HttpServer: Error processing request for /mediabrowser/Items/dummy/Images/Primary?Format=original
	GUID muss 32 Ziffern mit 4 Bindestrichen enthalten (xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx).
	ServiceStack.HttpError
	No Stack Trace Available

My log when the timeout occurs.

marcelveldt

The error about the dummyfile "/mediabrowser/Items/dummy/Images/Primary" isn't related...

I checked XBMB3c's code and see that it's by design to do a call to that file, why I don't have a clue :-)

The problem lies somewhere in the servercommunication or a simple fact of timing.

At startup XBMB3C starts up several threads which do requests to the MB3 server.

It seems to me that sometimes these requests come to early, maybe adding some retry or delay will fix the issue. 

I'm not 100% aware of all code in the XBMB3c addon, I just try to help where I can.

Maybe @xnappo can tell more about this ?

xnappo

Yeah, I think just adding a retry is the thing to do.  

The code in question is in DownloadUtils.py -> def downloadUrl.

I still can't recreate this, so if you could play with the timeout value, or with just retrying when there is a URL error once, that would be great.  The method also has the option to suppress errors - so if it is just something harmless that will try again by itself, you might add that option in.

xnappo

Edited by xnappo

saitoh183

Yeah, I think just adding a retry is the thing to do.  

The code in question is in DownloadUtils.py -> def downloadUrl.

I still can't recreate this, so if you could play with the timeout value, or with just retrying when there is a URL error once, that would be great.  The method also has the option to suppress errors - so if it is just something harmless that will try again by itself, you might add that option in.

xnappo

The timeout itself is not a big deal since things keep working right after. The problem is that it appears on screen and can even show during playback and totally hide what is playing.(depending on the skin)

xnappo

Well we put it in because people were complaining about errors occurring and not knowing about them.  So I think we should make it optional.

Please try what is suggested here:

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/13153-what-xbmb3c-is-for-media-browser-how-i-see-things/

If that cleans it up I will make it an option.

xnappo

This is what is shown in XBMC when the timeout occurs.

5468c8f535456_Capture1.png

5468c902e980e_Capture2.png

Suppressing the error doesn't really help, because artwork rotation doesn't work.

Edited by tube82

saitoh183

How do you recreate this most consistently?  I can't get it to happen.

xnappo

It just happens...i can leave it on the main menu and come back and the error is on the screen. Sometimes it happens a few seconds after i start xbmc

How do you recreate this most consistently?  I can't get it to happen.

xnappo

For me it always happens when I start XBMC. A few seconds later I get the timeout error. After that I don't get the error again until I restart XBMC, but since no artwork rotation takes place I guess the thread just doesn't run after that timeout.

Everything else, including the display of a single artwork per selected item works. 

Edited by tube82

Sadly, nothing seems to have changed in 0.9.709. The same error occurs and is logged the same way

If you need any full logs or other informations feel free to ask.

18:52:57 T:6716  NOTICE: Thread BackgroundLoader start, auto delete: false
18:53:02 T:3744  NOTICE: Previous line repeats 4 times.
18:53:02 T:3744  NOTICE: Unable to connect to 192.168.0.100:8096 : timed out
18:53:02 T:2312  NOTICE: Thread BackgroundLoader start, auto delete: false
18:53:06 T:3796  NOTICE: Previous line repeats 1 times.
18:53:06 T:3796  NOTICE: Unable to connect to 192.168.0.100:8096 : timed out
18:53:10 T:3796   ERROR: Exception in thread Thread-8:
                                            Traceback (most recent call last):
                                              File "C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\system\python\Lib\threading.py", line 808, in __bootstrap_inner
                                                self.run()
                                              File "C:\Users\Tobias\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\plugin.video.xbmb3c\resources\lib\ArtworkLoader.py", line 59, in run
                                                self.run_internal()
                                              File "C:\Users\Tobias\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\plugin.video.xbmb3c\resources\lib\ArtworkLoader.py", line 76, in run_internal
                                                self.updateArtLinks()
                                              File "C:\Users\Tobias\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\plugin.video.xbmb3c\resources\lib\ArtworkLoader.py", line 308, in updateArtLinks
                                                result01 = self.updateCollectionArtLinks()
                                              File "C:\Users\Tobias\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\plugin.video.xbmb3c\resources\lib\ArtworkLoader.py", line 402, in updateCollectionArtLinks
                                                jsonData = downloadUtils.downloadUrl(collectionUrl, suppress=False, popup=1 )
                                              File "C:\Users\Tobias\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\plugin.video.xbmb3c\resources\lib\DownloadUtils.py", line 496, in downloadUrl
                                                data = conn.getresponse()
                                              File "C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\system\python\Lib\httplib.py", line 1045, in getresponse
                                                response.begin()
                                              File "C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\system\python\Lib\httplib.py", line 409, in begin
                                                version, status, reason = self._read_status()
                                              File "C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\system\python\Lib\httplib.py", line 365, in _read_status
                                                line = self.fp.readline(_MAXLINE + 1)
                                              File "C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\system\python\Lib\socket.py", line 476, in readline
                                                data = self._sock.recv(self._rbufsize)
                                            timeout: timed out
Edited by tube82

im85288

Can you try again with 0.9.710 - I removed the request to get trailer item types that no longer exist, it may fix it.

• Like 1

Can you try again with 0.9.710 - I removed the request to get trailer item types that no longer exist, it may fix it.

Sadly this didn't resolve the problem either.

xnappo

Just pushed 0.9.711 to the beta repo.  Should be the same but I cleaned it up a bit so please test.

Thanks for your patience guys!

xnappo

xnappo

Not really sure - we reworked a lot of the network code for the new security stuff - so I suspect it was something to do with that.  But to me it seems like sometimes the server really isn't responding.  This change just makes the addon more tolerant to the server not responding....

xnappo

• Like 1

denethor

Just pushed 0.9.711 to the beta repo.  Should be the same but I cleaned it up a bit so please test.

Thanks for your patience guys!

xnappo

Fixed for me as well. Thanks.

marcelveldt

So what was actually the problem? Why did it happen for some but not for everyone?

As with many timing issues this depends on all kinds of factors, like network speed, server speed etc. etc.

While I was trying to reproduce the error in my setup, I had launched XBMC for over 30 times and nothing would go wrong, and than at try 31 the error came so it wasn't really easy. I think the fix from xnappo is a good one, just adding some more safety in the code for certain situations.

• 3 weeks later...
saitoh183

Well this issue seems to be back ...

2014-12-06 23:42:46.7102 Debug - HttpServer: HTTP Response 500 to 192.168.13.101. Response time: 230.015 ms.
	Url: http://192.168.13.198:8096/mediabrowser/Users/f6c51e6fd330e59d16f4cc52886702e1/Items/840f3066356b5248072847300103328a?format=json
2014-12-06 23:42:45.5931 Debug - HttpServer: HTTP Response 200 to 192.168.13.101. Response time: 194.0156 ms.
	Url: http://192.168.13.198:8096/mediabrowser/Users/f6c51e6fd330e59d16f4cc52886702e1/Items?Limit=30&Recursive=true&SortBy=DatePlayed&SortOrder=Descending&Fields=Path,Genres,MediaStreams,Overview,CriticRatingSummary&Filters=IsResumable&IncludeItemTypes=Episode&format=json
2014-12-06 23:39:50.7859 Debug - HttpServer: HTTP Response 204 to 192.168.13.101. Response time: 3480.1995 ms.
	Url: http://192.168.13.198:8096/mediabrowser/Sessions/Playing/Progress?itemId=19c40f2ba2b49dea0c558a96336169e1&canSeek=true&PlayMethod=DirectPlay&QueueableMediaTypes=Video&MediaSourceId=19c40f2ba2b49dea0c558a96336169e1&PositionTicks=3131020202&AudioStreamIndex=1

MBS version: 3.0.5445.6

XBMBC/Mediabrowser : 0.9.728

Titan helix : 3.2.2

MediaBrowser Skin helper service:0.0.11

I dont mind this error but when it happens during playback multiple time (which hides the show each time) it kind of makes using xbmc and this addon less and less enjoyable. I dont know if the fact that my MBS seems to be stuck in debug mode has any effect on this problem (still havent gotten a response on that either)  but it would be nice to have something that just works.

• 1 month later...
tired dad

Well this issue seems to be back ...

Yup, same here.  Random Rotation Thread Errors... speed of the machine doesn't seem to be a factor as my i7 upstairs acts up almost as much as the ion processor in the HTPC.

As others stated,not a BIG error, but there's not imeout on the dialogbox, so it can be disconcerting to those that are not aware of what it means (and my kids and wife are defiintely those that are not technically inclined)