What’s the best streaming box for Emby?

ShoutingMan

ShoutingMan
Posted (edited)

I run Emby client on an nVidia Shield (2017). It’s been great, supporting most audio andvideo formats natively. But lately it seems like Shield + Emby are crashing more often. It’s just less stable that I recall it being five years ago. And maybe there are newer, faster, better streaming boxes than one that’s approach a decade old.

What’s the best streaming box for just running Emby? I

I need Dolby Atmos.

I don’t need Dolby Vision (using a JVC Projector which doesn’t support DV.)

$200 or less price preferred.

Don’t want something filled with ads, marketing, or sales junk. 

Don’t care about games, Netflix, etc. I use an AppleTV for all subscription services.

What’s your experience? Thanks!

Edited by ShoutingMan

jaycedk

Have you ever factory reset it ?

Might be a good thing to try, after years of use.

Kyrunner
1 hour ago, ShoutingMan said:

I run Emby client on an nVidia Shield (2017). It’s been great, supporting most audio andvideo formats natively. But lately it seems like Shield + Emby are crashing more often. It’s just less stable that I recall it being five years ago. And maybe there are newer, faster, better streaming boxes than one that’s approach a decade old.

I need Dolby Atmos.

Don’t care about games, Netflix, etc. I use an AppleTV for all subscription services.

The best experience I have ever had is using Kodi on my pc with the plugin emby for Kodi next gen. 

Spaceboy
2 hours ago, ShoutingMan said:

I need Dolby Atmos.

shield still the best

RanmaCanada

Shield is sadly still the best. Amazon Firecube 3rd gen is a distant second.

• Agree 1

MohamedKhaldi

depends on what you want, if you need Dolby Vision profile 7 FEL, then ugoos AM6b plus with corelec nightly build and emby for kodi plugin (and a nice skin of course) is the only way to watch them (absolutely no other box can decode the FEL, not even Dune or Zidoo, despite their price, only bluray players do)

if you don't know what FEL is, then go with the nVidia shield, the best experience you'll have

RanmaCanada
On 10/06/2024 at 12:06, MohamedKhaldi said:

depends on what you want, if you need Dolby Vision profile 7 FEL, then ugoos AM6b plus with corelec nightly build and emby for kodi plugin (and a nice skin of course) is the only way to watch them (absolutely no other box can decode the FEL, not even Dune or Zidoo, despite their price, only bluray players do)

if you don't know what FEL is, then go with the nVidia shield, the best experience you'll have

If you're going to play the FEL game, then you would just use an Oppo bluray player instead, or you could use MakeMKV to properly handle your DV layer rips. No one really cares about DV Profile 7, especialy as physical media is disappearing. If you have these files, they should be from your own backups, which means you can still play your discs, and any device will have HDR fallback for your rips. If you pirated them, that's not an Emby problem, and it is honestly not something they should even be working on because of the nature of the profile. There is a reason it is a bluray player only layer, and expecting any device to play it back properly is just plain ignorance.

MohamedKhaldi
3 hours ago, RanmaCanada said:

If you're going to play the FEL game, then you would just use an Oppo bluray player instead, or you could use MakeMKV to properly handle your DV layer rips. No one really cares about DV Profile 7, especialy as physical media is disappearing. If you have these files, they should be from your own backups, which means you can still play your discs, and any device will have HDR fallback for your rips. If you pirated them, that's not an Emby problem, and it is honestly not something they should even be working on because of the nature of the profile. There is a reason it is a bluray player only layer, and expecting any device to play it back properly is just plain ignorance.

what are you talking about? profile 7 has nothing to do with piracy, it's the dual layer DV that comes with bluray rips, so, for people (like me) who want to backup their blurays in their NAS for conviniency, way better than having to handle discs each time. pirated stuff comes generally in profile 5 (if webdl) or profile 8 (if bluray rip)

and MakeMKV does not handle DV profiles at all, it just rips data bit by bit from bluray to mkv, you need other tools like dovi_tool to convert profile 7 to profile 8, and the result is losing the info on the enhanced layer (the color loses in fidelity, as some data will be lost)

and HDR fallback, why? if your display can handle DV, why not use it at full potential?

"There is a reason it is a bluray player only layer", the reason is that it needs a processor capable of dual layer handling (bluray players have, but also the amologic processor of the ugoos 6B+, so it plays it back properly with corelec and emby for kodi)

physical media is absolutely not disappearing, it remains the reference in image and sound quality  (especially for home theater owners, it would be ridiculous to have a good audio and projection setup and use it with streaming services and their limited bandwidth, as their maximum 4k has maybe 30 mbps or something like that, way lower than bluray)

and, finally, the oppo player, you mentioned specifically for this particular use case, has problems playing DV profile 7 (color distortion, google it)

how can someone be so condescending when he is wrong on every single point :D 

Edited by MohamedKhaldi

RanmaCanada
12 hours ago, MohamedKhaldi said:

what are you talking about? profile 7 has nothing to do with piracy, it's the dual layer DV that comes with bluray rips, so, for people (like me) who want to backup their blurays in their NAS for conviniency, way better than having to handle discs each time. pirated stuff comes generally in profile 5 (if webdl) or profile 8 (if bluray rip)

and MakeMKV does not handle DV profiles at all, it just rips data bit by bit from bluray to mkv, you need other tools like dovi_tool to convert profile 7 to profile 8, and the result is losing the info on the enhanced layer (the color loses in fidelity, as some data will be lost)

and HDR fallback, why? if your display can handle DV, why not use it at full potential?

"There is a reason it is a bluray player only layer", the reason is that it needs a processor capable of dual layer handling (bluray players have, but also the amologic processor of the ugoos 6B+, so it plays it back properly with corelec and emby for kodi)

physical media is absolutely not disappearing, it remains the reference in image and sound quality  (especially for home theater owners, it would be ridiculous to have a good audio and projection setup and use it with streaming services and their limited bandwidth, as their maximum 4k has maybe 30 mbps or something like that, way lower than bluray)

and, finally, the oppo player, you mentioned specifically for this particular use case, has problems playing DV profile 7 (color distortion, google it)

how can someone be so condescending when he is wrong on every single point :D 

Because I'm not wrong. Makemkv added profile 7 support way back in 2022.

Sorry.

bye.

MohamedKhaldi
2 hours ago, RanmaCanada said:

Because I'm not wrong. Makemkv added profile 7 support way back in 2022.

Sorry.

bye.

wow! you still think you're right?

MakeMKV added support for profile 7, meaning it is now capable of putting the FEL layer in the mkv (not doing any conversion of course, makemkv only rips discs bit by bit, so the mkv will have profile 7 DV, not something correctly playable by the nvidia shield for example), then you need something to play it, and that's the whole point! the only device capable of it today is the ugoos 6B+ running corelec.

you said use your blurays with a bluray ray player, and pirated movies are not emby's problem (i agree on this one, but that's not the point here, on the contrary as ripping your own blurays will almost always give you profile 7), so, basically, you said emby is not for your own ripped blurays, nor for downloaded piracy, so what is exactly emby used for according to you? 😂

you are funny 🙃

bye