FreeBSD Package

Luke

As it could be helpful to other beginners, let me report that following the official instructions is not enough to have an Emby Server running.

After running the pkg add command, you need to add the following line to /etc/rc.conf

emby_server_enable="YES"

Be careful, that is an underscore between the words "emby" and "server", not a hyphen as in the package name!

Then reboot (or logout and restart the jail if you're in a jail).

By the way, how am I supposed to update the Emby server from now on? Thanks.

Edited by dolphin

As it could be helpful to other beginners, let me report that following the official instructions is not enough to have an Emby Server running.

After running the pkg add command, you need to add the following line to /etc/rc.conf

emby_server_enable="YES"

Be careful, that is an underscore between the words "emby" and "server", not a hyphen as in the package name!

Then reboot (or logout and restart the jail if you're in a jail).

By the way, how am I supposed to update the Emby server from now on? Thanks.

That's just to run at startup, right, as opposed to running manually?

woodsb02

That's just to run at startup, right, as opposed to running manually?

Hi @@Luke,

No, that will enable the service to run at startup, but is also required to run the service now.

Instead of people editing /etc/rc.conf manually, there is a tool for it. The total 3 step process is:

# pkg add ...

# sysrc emby_server_enable=“YES”

# service emby-server start

The _ and - differences above are deliberate. Note the 3rd line will error if the 2nd line is not performed.

Thank you, that is even more convenient!

The _ and - differences above are deliberate. Note the 3rd line will error if the 2nd line is not performed.

Interesting! I'm curious to know why such difference is deliberate!

adrianwi

service emby-server onestart will work without the line added to rc.conf, although it makes sense to add it so it starts automatically after restarting the jail or rebooting the server.

• 2 weeks later...
zmediaserver

Request to add this info to the FreeBSD installation page. Might be obvious for some, but as someone who's still learning FreeBSD, this would be helpful as part of the installation instructions.

Edited by zmediaserver

Request to add this info to the FreeBSD installation page. Might be obvious for some, but as someone who's still learning FreeBSD, this would be helpful as part of the installation instructions.

Thanks. I think we can just build this into the package though.

Hi @@Luke,

No, that will enable the service to run at startup, but is also required to run the service now.

Instead of people editing /etc/rc.conf manually, there is a tool for it. The total 3 step process is:

# pkg add ...

Any comments on this?

Freebsd explicitly forbids it: https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/porters-handbook/pkg-install.html

adrianwi

You could argue that you are not 'modify(ing) the currently running system' as the script is being run in the FreeNAS shell and the changes are being applied to the jail it is creating.

Usually, you are using pkg to install inside a jail, so have to set the rc.conf settings manually.  Scripting the creation of iocage jails from FreeNAS moves the goal posts a little?

woodsb02

I can only speak for FreeBSD, where the current policy is to not enable and start services automatically during pkg install or upgrade - that is left to the user.

FreeNAS may have different policies - I am not aware.

@@woodsb02 based on your comments in post #81, what are you suggesting that we do? It sounded like you were suggesting that we make these changes to the package. Thanks !

woodsb02

I suggest the FreeBSD instructions page are just updated to include these steps, as it is not normal practice in FreeBSD to automate them. Anyone that is using FreeBSD should be used to these steps from other software they have installed.

I'm updating the website instructions now. please check them out later today. Thanks !

Smartypants

I can only speak for FreeBSD, where the current policy is to not enable and start services automatically during pkg install or upgrade - that is left to the user.

FreeNAS may have different policies - I am not aware.

I think it's the same for freeNAS as it's basically freeBSD with a UI.

I agree with you, I like to enable my services myself after the install. Just gives me the impression of control over the machine :P

I just installed Emby in a FreeNAS jail following the instructions and everything work #1. If someone really want to make it a one line install just add && between the commands. No need for scripting anything. Again you only save 2 copy and paste.. nothing to be excited about.

pkg add -f https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases/download/3.5.3.0/emby-server-freebsd_3.5.3.0_amd64.txz && sysrc emby_server_enable="YES" && service emby-server start

Just one thing I noticed after the install. Is the "Restart" button working for you in the dashboard? I'm not personally attached to it as it never worked before anyway but sometime I would find it useful to have it working.

Drego344

so i did the steps above and got my emby working again.....but now the plugin keep shutting itself down......on freenas 11.1 U6

Drego344

i am trying to do a sync in kodi....and it keeps disconnecting.....when i check freenas the plugin is off....it stays on for about a sec or two then turns off again