App "This Emby Server needs to be updated" error

The57thEmby
Go to solution Solved by The57thEmby,

The57thEmby
Posted (edited)

Hello, 

I've started a Emby server on a Dell server running ubuntu 20.04LTS bare metal

It's running Emby server 4.8.6.0 and I'm paying for Emby Premiere monthly subscription. 

Trying to connect to the server on the mobile app (3.3.91) on and android phone (Galaxy S24 Ultra)  on the local network. 

It see's the server.

Gives off the "This Emby Server needs to be updated" error. 

updated the server to the Beta 4.9.18.0

Error still exists

on the phone, I've reinstalled the app, cleared the cache cleared the storage, even installing the version through https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html and side loading it. 

error persists

Purged and downgraded server back to 4.8.6.0 and tried the previous line, error persists.

Tried a different android phone entirely (Some Sony phone), error persists. 

Tried to run the IOS phone app (2.2.17), error persists. 

I'm at a complete loss as to why the app in android (and IOS by extension) is refusing to connect or why it's saying to update the server when it's at it's latest version to beta version!

What do I need to do here, what am I doing wrong? Is the app broken right now and II didn't see it in the forms? 

Please help.

Edit: The Android-TV app works just fine and accessing the web portal also works fine.

Edited by The57thEmby

pwhodges

The latest beta version is currently 4.9.0.19 (it changed last night).

Running the previous stable when you have been running beta will always give bad results, as the database structure has been changed.

Are the phones connecting to the same network/subnet as your server and TV?  If you are trying to connect using a phone signal, you'll need to do the remote access setup stuff:

https://emby.media/support/articles/Remote-Setup.html

Paul

The57thEmby
6 hours ago, pwhodges said:

The latest beta version is currently 4.9.0.19 (it changed last night).

Running the previous stable when you have been running beta will always give bad results, as the database structure has been changed.

Are the phones connecting to the same network/subnet as your server and TV?  If you are trying to connect using a phone signal, you'll need to do the remote access setup stuff:

https://emby.media/support/articles/Remote-Setup.html

Paul

I've written this very late last night so I apologize if I wasn't clear on this. But the phones and server are on the same network and on the same subnet. My brother and I wanted to make sure we're able to connect locally on our home network first before trying to connect 

As for the beta to stable, thankfully on another fourm post, I was made aware of that 😀. I've purged the emby server and then reinstalled the stable version of the server.

2 hours ago, Luke said:

Please attach the Emby server log from when the problem occurred: 

Thanks.

I forgot about that, I've attached the log files. Sorry for not doing that on the initial post.

There are two, one this morning before I went to work and one last night. 

I noticed there are hardware detection logs. If those are needed. Let me know.

embyserver.txt embyserver-63851368178.txt

• Solution
The57thEmby
Posted (edited)

So this isn't an issue anymore, my brother went through the forums and found a post that you will need to sign in to the emby connect on the app and then connect to the emby instance. And then after that is any if our phones had no issue connecting even the ones that did not had me sign into emby connect.

I feel that this should be something of note in the documentation or something. But good to know I guess.

Edited by The57thEmby

2 hours ago, The57thEmby said:

So this isn't an issue anymore, my brother went through the forums and found a post that you will need to sign in to the emby connect on the app and then connect to the emby instance. And then after that is any if our phones had no issue connecting even the ones that did not had me sign into emby connect.

I feel that this should be something of note in the documentation or something. But good to know I guess.

Hi, thanks for following up. I understand this is your anecdotal evidence, but this isn't the reason. Emby Connect is not required.

We are aware that in some rare circumstances this error message is displayed erroneously when the true problem is just a normal connection failure. We will look into chasing those cases down so that we can have the app display a better message.

My guess for your case - Emby Connect connected with a different server url then you were trying to use manually, and so that's why it worked.

Does the address you were trying manually match what is displayed on your Emby Server dashboard?

The57thEmby

yes, we first did auto detect then entered the address manually, and the error persisted. 
I should mention that I just updated the server to 4.8.7.0 today. 

OK we'll take a look at it. Thanks.