Cannot get an external user connected

ramseyn
Go to solution Solved by ramseyn,

ramseyn

Hi

My son moved out today and tried to access my Emby server from his new address over the internet.

He cannot get access. He can see the server (NAS) with the external IP address (WAN IP) but cannot connect.

I tried getting him to look at his Emby account but that has nothing about an Emby Connect account. So I created a new Emby Connect account for him and put it in the "Emby Connect e-mail address" field, he received an email and confirmed the address, signed in to emby.media using that email address and still cannot connect.

I think I have followed the KB articles for connecting with Emby Connect but it doesn't work.

I tried using my forum email account to connect on my account using a browser to <WAN IP>:8096 but it just says "

Hmmm… can't reach this page

<WAN IP> refused to connect."

(8096 is the current port for HTTP)

IMG-20240509-WA0002.jpg

pwhodges

You say he can see your NAS, but have you done the things that enable Emby to be accessed remotely?

https://emby.media/support/articles/Remote-Setup.html

Note - Connect isn't a way around doing this, it's simply a dedicated way of looking up where your server is.

Paul

ramseyn
Posted (edited)

I have enabled remote access in the Manage Emby section and I have manually forwarded port 8096 to the NAS IP{ on the router.

However, despite doing this, canyouseeme.org cannot see port 8096 so I suspect that is the issue.

The rule is there and I have allowed the port through the firewall from any IP.

(In fact even if I turn the firewall off completely, 8096 cannot be seen from an external address so in fact, not the firewall)

Edited by ramseyn

pwhodges

Have you done the checks for cgNAT at the end of the page I linked?  cgNAT prevents any access from outside.

Note that the test shown there is incomplete - I have told Emby several times, but they haven't got around to updating the page!  In the list of numbers to look for, there should also be 100, which needs the following number to be checked for the range 64-127.

Paul

ramseyn
Posted (edited)

No 100.x.x.x, no 172.x.x.x in tracert to Google DNS servers.

As stated, I have looked for port 8096 at my correct WAN address [edit: which is a static IP]

Edited by ramseyn

rbjtech
Posted (edited)

Maybe show a screenshot of your router port forward rule.   Don't show your WAN IP.

The key here is to ensure 8096 is 'listening' on your LAN/WAN interface - so unless canyouseeme sees the port as 'open' - emby is never going to work remotely.

Edited by rbjtech

• Solution
ramseyn

Yes I have been on to my router support team and been through all this. They could not understand it but suggested setting up a port trigger rather than a port forward. And guess what? With a port trigger the WAN port becomes visible!

So now I can access remotely, or at least using the WAN IP in my local browser. Whether it works for my sone who is genuinely off-network, remains to be seen after school, later.

Thanks for your suggestions 👍

It turns out it was a router problem. I have left it with linksys support to see why a port forward would not open the port.

rbjtech

ok - so progress 👍 - but yes, a port trigger is not really ideal because it will close the port after a peroid of inactivity - and may not reconnect with new connections.

What linksys model ?