No Guide or Channels in GUI after successful guide refresh

jdeck002
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

jdeck002

When I click "refresh guide data" to manually refresh data the status shows that it downloads the XML data for 7 days worth of data for 100+ channels in less than 5 seconds but Emby GUI shows no channels or guide data. 

I can access and see all the xml data by putting URL into a web browser so it's not an access issue. There are no errors in the log after refresh (shows completion in <5sec) and it properly shows the TV channels recognized from M3u source. Furthermore I can see .xml files generated by Emby with timestamps associated to the refresh action in /config/xmltv that appear to have all the correctly formatted XML data.... just nothing shows up in the GUI. 

Running Emby as Docker Container via docker compose pulling latest image

Logs after refresh - embyserver (3).txt

config/xmltv folder screenshot :

Screenshot2024-05-08150036.thumb.jpg.f8e3318f6ee5ff7860c8c31699587020.jpgembyserver (3).txt

snipit of XML file generated at 14:53 from log file:

Screenshot2024-05-08150327.thumb.jpg.de6d0161ea3a240f400fa07c3c5fb27b.jpg

and finally the empty guide in the GUI:

Screenshot2024-05-08150735.thumb.jpg.abc9485050f6fbe797f9a3db63900ef0.jpg

Hi, you're looking at May 8 in the guide, but your xml screenshot is showing May 7, no?

Are you sure your xml has data for the time that you're looking at?

Every time someone reports this "problem", this is pretty much what it always comes down to, that their xml just doesn't have the data.

jdeck002
Posted (edited)

Screenshot and logs are both may 8th (today from an hour or so ago). All time stamps in logs are "2024-05-08" and xml folder screenshot shows "May 8"

Edited by jdeck002

7 minutes ago, jdeck002 said:

Screenshot and logs are both may 8th (today from an hour or so ago). All time stamps in logs are "2024-05-08" and xml folder screenshot shows "May 8"

Yes, because you did those actions today, but the date in your epg xml says 20240507. That is yesterday. It's right in your middle screenshot.

jdeck002

Oh, I see what you're saying. The guide data itself is from an external source but is updated likely every 24-48 hours.... so yes that record (date and time of a specific show on that specific channel) is for a show from yesterday but that should not stop the import correct? I imagine it would be very common for xml guide data to have some "stale" records of shows that have already passed from maybe this morning?

There are hundreds or more other records in the xml file for today and in the future, like the image below. Would having records from before the exact date and time the refresh was ran stop the import, or cause them to not be displayed properly in the GUI?

Screenshot2024-05-08165327.thumb.jpg.627dde6c206c3e983db0584f1b18f224.jpg

• Solution

Right it is able to use all the data. But now that I look at your screens again, I think we're barking up the wrong tree. It's not an issue of guide data because then you'd see empty guide rows.

But your guide has no channels at all, so this would suggest a problem with your configured tuner source.

• Thanks 1

jdeck002

can you help clarify for me? The channels in the xml guide data are referenced by channel number which you can see in the screenshot:

<programme channel="3040"......

The channels in the M3U list have the same corresponding channel numbers (you can see from log file):

2024-05-08 14:53:16.973 Info LiveTV: Found epg channel in XmlTV  KIRO (CBS 7) 1003

is the "epg channel" from above not from the tuner source? If I go to the URL of the tuner source using VLC it pulls all of the correct channels with the same corresponding channel numbers.

What do you see in the live tv channels tab?

• Agree 1

jdeck002

Thank you so much for your help Luke! You were right to start at the tuner and not xml guide data. Tracked down the issue with my tuner (IPTV provider) and it was an issue on their side. The issue was semi intermittent and it was a coincidence I got through with VLC when I tested there. 

• Thanks 1