Force Emby server to refresh its WAN IP

HolyGigi

HolyGigi

Is there a way to force Emby to refresh its WAN IP address? Every time I have a network blip that causes my IP to reset, Emby does not want to let go of the old one, causing it to become unreachable.

I have to restart the server and the PC multiple times in the hopes that "this time" the IP will refresh. 

sa2000
4 hours ago, HolyGigi said:

have to restart the server and the PC multiple times in the hopes that "this time" the IP will refresh. 

It ought to be sufficient to just restart the Emby Server for this change to be noticed. If it does not then it would need to be looked into

Could you run with debug logging enabled and capture logs captured after a restart of the server following a change in WAN IP before the restart - if the change is not noticed. 

Does this give back the right public wan ip after the change?

https://api.ipify.org/

HolyGigi

I managed to get it to work, but don't know exactly what fixed it.  Rough timeline would be:

- 12:00 IP changed due to ISP outage, my issue began

- 14:00: restarted the PC and the router multiple times, no luck

- 15:00: did a "ipconfig /renew" an "netsh int ip reset log.txt"

-15:30: more router restarts and pc restarts

-15:40: changed ports to random numbers and again to default ones in Emby to try and force a change, no luck

- 16:00 emby automatically changed to the correct IP without me doing  anything.

Lessaj

One of the first things Emby does when it starts is check the external IP via a call to ipify, I believe this can be seen with debug logging enabled, I actually had something blocking the domain and I saw an error in the log on startup but I didn't know what the domain was to check since it was just a generic exception and that's how I remember finding it was doing that so I could allow list the domain. I'd recommend enabling debug logging next time this occurs, which will actually activate right away without a recycle, but you should recycle it to see it attempt to make that API call during startup.

Q-Droid

Look into getting DDNS configured then you don't have to care about your WAN IP addr changing. 

• Agree 2