confused about inconsistent "Recordings" presentation

wjcarpenter

wjcarpenter

I'm kind of new to emby, so maybe there is some combination of settings that I don't yet grok. I can look at my Live TV recordings via a couple different pathways in the Android app or the web client.

If I go to the upper left menu and select "Recordings", I see the view in the first image. The episodes of a show are grouped under a single thumbnail with a little annotation with the count of unplayed episodes.

If I got Live TV and select the "Recordings" tab, I see the view in the second image. Each episode has its own thumbnail. There is no aggregation. If one has a lot of episodes of various shows, that's a pretty poor arrangement. I could probably adapt to this OK except that I'm the complaint department in the household, and I'd quickly get tired of telling people to "do it a different way".

Is there a good functional reason for these two things with the same name to have different behavior, or is it just a matter of them being coded differently on different days? Is there a way to get the aggregated view in the Live TV > Recordings pathway?

good.png

bad.png

Hi.  The first one is showing them as an Emby library with all the features of a library.  The second presentation is meant to be quick access to the individual recordings.  They should be sorted by record date descending.

wjcarpenter

Thanks for the info. That seems like something that seems rational to the developers, but kind of confusing in the user experience, given that they are called the same thing. I only have a smallish collection of Live TV recordings. Is there a significant speed difference for large collections? (I get that I can re-order the presentation various ways in either view.)

In the first instance “recordings” is just the default name of the library that is created. Perhaps we should change that to “recorded items” or something.