Need help opening ports on router

Nikomajor

Nikomajor
4 minutes ago, Lessaj said:

Okay if it's the only device and you're not within a CGNAT it's possible your ISP may restrict common ports or ports under 10000 so you could try 28096 as the external port instead for example. And you're certain the server IP is 192.168.1.52? In your earlier screenshot it was 51, I can imagine it changing after rebooting the device because it may lose all the DHCP leases but you should really set a static address for this device if it's using DHCP.

I'll try that out and report back.

Oh both 51 & 52 belong to the server. 51 is while on WiFi & 52 while on Ethernet. I made changes to the port rules before switching between the two.

• Like 1

Nikomajor
6 hours ago, Lessaj said:

Okay if it's the only device and you're not within a CGNAT it's possible your ISP may restrict common ports or ports under 10000 so you could try 28096 as the external port instead for example. And you're certain the server IP is 192.168.1.52? In your earlier screenshot it was 51, I can imagine it changing after rebooting the device because it may lose all the DHCP leases but you should really set a static address for this device if it's using DHCP.

Tried using the new port after changing the port rules on the router, network settings on the Emby Server and setting up a firewall exception.

The port was open on canyouseeme for a very short while before the "Connection timed out" error started again. In fact while typing this out it was reported as open before reverting to the previous error.

I've also noticed that my WAN IP changed overnight. If I remember correctly, it was a xxx.xxx.xx.99 & now it is xxx.xxx.xx.198

Lessaj

It's not unusual for a WAN IP to change, even without a reboot of the device, and it's not a problem to get around this by using a DDNS. You may need to contact your ISP and find out if they allow opening a port, for it work for a short while and then stop either your WAN IP changed again or they're actively blocking after a short time.

sa2000

Just adding info about CGNAT - A CGNAT Public IP Address is in this range 100.64.0.0 – 100.127.255.255

If the PC has both wifi and ethernet enabled and two different IP Addresses, best to do the troubleshooting with one of these network adapters disabled so either wifi or ethernet

And of course the IP Address needs to be static / dhcp reservation in the router

and the correct settings would be as advised here 

Alternative wan public ports could be tried - forwarding to local server ports 8096 and 8920 and specifying the alternative ports in the emby  settings

Other potential problem areas would be Double NAT - if there is a router in addition to the ISP modem/router, in such cases the problem can be circumvented by giving the second router a static ip address setup as dhcp reservation in the first modem/router and cascading the public port from the first modem/router to the second router with port forwards on the first modem router. A Double NAT can be detected if the router (2nd device) has a wan IP address that is local (provided by the first router)

rbjtech
6 hours ago, Nikomajor said:

Tried using the new port after changing the port rules on the router, network settings on the Emby Server and setting up a firewall exception.

The port was open on canyouseeme for a very short while before the "Connection timed out" error started again. In fact while typing this out it was reported as open before reverting to the previous error.

I've also noticed that my WAN IP changed overnight. If I remember correctly, it was a xxx.xxx.xx.99 & now it is xxx.xxx.xx.198

It may also be worth forcing emby to bind to just the .52 address (ethernet?) - set that in the emby network config.   Then restart emby.

As I said previously, I think the port forward is working just fine (or canyouseeme would not report open) but something is changing/blocking.    Could be your ISP blocking but unlikely,    your WAN IP may change, but it should generally only change during a router restart, it shouldn't change if you have existing connections. 

Q-Droid
9 hours ago, Nikomajor said:

What type of internet service are you on? Is it wireless?

Nikomajor
6 hours ago, rbjtech said:

It may also be worth forcing emby to bind to just the .52 address (ethernet?) - set that in the emby network config.   Then restart emby.

As I said previously, I think the port forward is working just fine (or canyouseeme would not report open) but something is changing/blocking.    Could be your ISP blocking but unlikely,    your WAN IP may change, but it should generally only change during a router restart, it shouldn't change if you have existing connections. 

Trying that out. I'm binding it to the .51 address (WiFi) for now as it's doubling as a HTPC for a short while.

I'll be speaking to to the ISP tomorrow about it. The router manufacturer's helpline confirmed that the correct steps were taken and that the port would open for a verry short period before closing, then recommended getting a static IP from the ISP.

4 hours ago, Q-Droid said:

What type of internet service are you on? Is it wireless?

It's a broadband connection.

7 hours ago, sa2000 said:

Other potential problem areas would be Double NAT - if there is a router in addition to the ISP modem/router, in such cases the problem can be circumvented by giving the second router a static ip address setup as dhcp reservation in the first modem/router and cascading the public port from the first modem/router to the second router with port forwards on the first modem router. A Double NAT can be detected if the router (2nd device) has a wan IP address that is local (provided by the first router)

There are no other routers in the chain and DHCP reservation is on for the server.

rbjtech
10 minutes ago, Nikomajor said:

I'll be speaking to to the ISP tomorrow about it. The router manufacturer's helpline confirmed that the correct steps were taken and that the port would open for a verry short period before closing, then recommended getting a static IP from the ISP.

That is what's classically know as port triggering - where you open the port 'on demand/dynamically' do what you need to do, and then it closes after a short peroid if no more activity on the connection.   Port forwarding will keep that port 'open' forever and just forward what it receives, allowing multiple sources etc.  Pretty much every router these days has done away with triggering - and they just use port forwarding.

tbh with you, the router/AP doesn't inspire confidence if they can't even label the 'server port/destination port' correctly on their GUI ..

You don't need a fixed IP - ddns will allow you to keep a fixed 'dns name' and it will dynamically point you to the new WAN each time it changes.   Your router 'may' have a DDNS client built into it ?

• Like 1

Nikomajor
16 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

You don't need a fixed IP - ddns will allow you to keep a fixed 'dns name' and it will dynamically point you to the new WAN each time it changes.   Your router 'may' have a DDNS client built into it ?

The router has the ability to enable DDNS. I enabled it during setup but do I need to add anything else?

image.png.8a31fe47c6799639a68faecc7494db9d.png

image.png.f30aed36c7efde2d1c912985141a3ae2.png

rbjtech

Yes you need to setup a DDNS provider - choose your domain, get a username/password etc.   What providers does it support other than oray.com ?   no-ip, freedns etc ?

rbjtech

no-ip and dnydns are probably your best bets.  Go to their websites, setup and account, then use the details in the router - and the dns name you are given can then be used instead of using the changing public wan ip.

Remember ddns is not instant, it may take a few minutes to update things - so depending on how frequently your ip changes, this may or may not be your actual problem.

Nikomajor
59 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

no-ip and dnydns are probably your best bets.  Go to their websites, setup and account, then use the details in the router - and the dns name you are given can then be used instead of using the changing public wan ip.

Remember ddns is not instant, it may take a few minutes to update things - so depending on how frequently your ip changes, this may or may not be your actual problem.

Set up No-IP and no luck. Seems to have butchered my general internet connectivity as well.

• Sad 1

rbjtech
12 minutes ago, Nikomajor said:

Set up No-IP and no luck. Seems to have butchered my general internet connectivity as well.

ddns setup is not (or should not be) related to your internet connection.. 

Nikomajor
9 hours ago, rbjtech said:

ddns setup is not (or should not be) related to your internet connection.. 

I may have made a mistake when selecting the interface. Should it be LAN as shown in the screenshot or my internet service/WAN (this is what I selected)?

rbjtech
On 27/04/2024 at 05:15, Nikomajor said:

I may have made a mistake when selecting the interface. Should it be LAN as shown in the screenshot or my internet service/WAN (this is what I selected)?

WAN

You can test it by just running nslookup <your domain> from a command prompt.  It should return your WAN IP.

On 4/28/2024 at 9:35 AM, rbjtech said:

WAN

You can test it by just running nslookup <your domain> from a command prompt.  It should return your WAN IP.

Set it to WAN and rebooted everything. Tested it with nslookup allddnskey.com and it coincides with the DNS reported by the router..

Once again, testing the port shows it as open before immediately reverting to closed. I think the ISP is running a NAT on the area and blocking ports.

image.png.a54ed42921db0c69be52c907cf49296a.png

Edited by GrimReaper
Attachment removed

rbjtech
14 hours ago, Nikomajor said:

Set it to WAN and rebooted everything. Tested it with nslookup allddnskey.com and it coincides with the DNS reported by the router..

Once again, testing the port shows it as open before immediately reverting to closed. I think the ISP is running a NAT on the area and blocking ports.

image.png.a54ed42921db0c69be52c907cf49296a.png

if your actual WAN IP is not the same as the DDNS IP - then something is wrong.    You really need to take this up with your ISP and get them to explain what is going on.

Yes if they use CGNAT, then it's game over for basic hosting - you'll need to use alternatives - there are some 'how to's' in this forum.

(btw, leaving your dns name above is no different to showing your WAN IP as a simple nslookup with provide it for anybody on the internet ... ;))

Edited by GrimReaper
Attachment removed

1 hour ago, rbjtech said:

(btw, leaving your dns name above is no different to showing your WAN IP as a simple nslookup with provide it for anybody on the internet ... ;))

Ah shoot. I can't edit or delete it. Welp. Lesson learnt.

If anyone seeing this can delete the images then I would greatly appreciate it. 😅

2 hours ago, rbjtech said:

if your actual WAN IP is not the same as the DDNS IP - then something is wrong.    You really need to take this up with your ISP and get them to explain what is going on.

Yes if they use CGNAT, then it's game over for basic hosting - you'll need to use alternatives - there are some 'how to's' in this forum.

I'll look for them. One of the results I found suggested using a VPN like Tailscale so I'll try that out. If that somehow doesn't work then I'll just get a static IP from the ISP (assuming this is the final remedy for this case).

• Like 1

Happy2Play
4 hours ago, Nikomajor said:

If anyone seeing this can delete the images then I would greatly appreciate it. 😅

@GrimReapercan you edit or remove the image from both posts above.

GrimReaper
5 hours ago, Nikomajor said:

If anyone seeing this can delete the images

8 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

@GrimReapercan you edit or remove the image from both posts above.

*Images removed.*

7 hours ago, Luke said:

Have you solved this?

Not yet, no.

After signing up and installing Tailscale on my server PC & my mobile then copying the Tailscale assigned IP to the external domain of the server PC, I can access the web interface for the server PC remotely from my mobile but not via the Emby app. And audio playback via the web interface is broken; no dialogue comes through.

Update:

Manually inputting the IP address in the Emby app seems to have fixed everything and now there's a buffering issue which may be due to my mobile network.

Not a huge fan of setting up the VPN app on many devices to share with others. I'll set it up for friends to diagnose the buffering and then take a call on keeping the VPN service or pulling the trigger on a public static IP.