4.8.3.0 upgrade issue and backup restore issue

chrisandruthhansford@gmail.com

Hi,

I was running Emby 4.7.11.0 but my various apps stopped working saying I have to upgrade to access the server.

So first I attempted to upgrade the jail from 12.4 to 13.3 and then upgrade emby from 4.7.11.0 to 4.8.3.0.

However, after doing this, the emby server service would not start.

So instead I decided to do a clean install of emby 4.8.3.0 onto a clean 13.2 jail. Which installed fine, however I am trying to restore my backed up config (using the emby backup plugin), but it does not list the old backups, only new ones.

Is it possible to restore a backup from an older version of emby code? If not, how am I supposed to get to a newer version of emby?

Baenwort

I will wait for @Lukeor another person on the development team to speak to restoring the backup between versions.

I can say that if you go from a 12.4 jail to a 13.2 jail you should be able to boot your 4.7.11 app version and then once you make sure it is still working update the 4.7.11 to 4.8.3 version.

I would not go to a 13.3 jail yet as there are some bugs due to the different between the FreeBSD version that TrueNAS Core is using and the higher patch version of the jail.

Edited by Baenwort

Hi, you can use this:

EmbyBackupLegacy.zip

Although I only recommend it for one-time use and not going forward to create new backups on 4.8.

Additionally just FYI if you're still on 4.7 you can get past the upgrade dialogs by updating to 4.7.12+.

14 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, you can use this:

EmbyBackupLegacy.zip 22.04 kB · 0 downloads

Although I only recommend it for one-time use and not going forward to create new backups on 4.8.

Additionally just FYI if you're still on 4.7 you can get past the upgrade dialogs by updating to 4.7.12+.

Hi, how can I use this file. It just has a single dll in there (EmbyBackupLegacy.dll).

Would this allow me to import the old 4.7.11.0 config into a new 4.8.3.0 server?

Separately, I've tried many things, recreating the jails (I'm using BSD/Truenas). Trying to install 4.7.11.0 into a 13.2 jail (did not work, emby-server is stuck on "Emby Server is loading. Please try again shortly."

I'm not sure what else I can try. My database is backed up in version format 4.7.11.0. But I am unable to upgrade my 4.7.11.0 jail to a newer version, as the jail is running on release 12.4, and the newer emby required release 13.2.

I am unable to install the older emby version (4.7.11.0) into a clean 13.2 jail.

I'm thinking my only option is to install emby 4.8.3.0 into a new (13.2) jail, and then manually add all my libraries again. Losing the watch status of all my library.

Not good. I assume I'll have to do this every time there is a change of jail OS/release version. e.g. moving to 13.3 and so on.

Ideally, the backup plugin would be able to read from backups made with a different emby version.

Ok, I managed to do it. These are the steps I followed:

Create new empty jail (13.2-release)
SSH into jail...
Install all dependencies (gathered from https://github.com/MediaBrowser/iocage-amd64/blob/master/emby-server.json):
pkg install -y "audio/libogg" "audio/libvorbis" "audio/opus" "converters/fribidi" "databases/sqlite3" "devel/icu" "devel/libinotify" "devel/libunwind" "devel/orc" "converters/fribidi" "converters/libiconv" "devel/libzvbi" "devel/ocl-icd" "graphics/jpeg-turbo" "graphics/libdrm" "graphics/libexif" "graphics/libheif" "graphics/libimagequant" "graphics/libjxl" "graphics/openexr" "graphics/openjpeg" "graphics/png" "graphics/tesseract" "graphics/tiff" "graphics/webp" "multimedia/intel-media-sdk" "multimedia/libass" "multimedia/libtheora" "multimedia/libva" "print/freetype2" "security/gnutls" "security/krb5" "security/mbedtls" "security/openssl" "textproc/expat2" "x11-fonts/fontconfig" "x11-toolkits/pango"

Install other dependencies:
pkg install -y sqlite3

Install the old emby-server version (same as config backup version):
pkg add --force https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases/download/4.7.11.0/emby-server-freebsd13_4.7.11.0_amd64.pkg

sysrc -f /etc/rc.conf emby_server_enable="YES"
service emby-server start 2>/dev/null

Wait for emby-server service to load

Browse to the web interface: http://<jail ip>:8096
Do initial setup, and enter the Emby premiere key, and install the 'Backups & Restore' plugin
Ensure auto-update is disabled on Emby settings (Windows only).
Do a restart of the jail for the plugin to be enabled.
Import the old database backup from the plugin.
Perform an upgrade of emby-server package to the new version.

Happy2Play
1 hour ago, chrisandruthhansford@gmail.com said:

Hi, how can I use this file. It just has a single dll in there (EmbyBackupLegacy.dll).

Would this allow me to import the old 4.7.11.0 config into a new 4.8.3.0 server?

Just put the dll in the programdata\plugins folder not the system\plugin folder.  It only works for userdata not users or configs.

There is no method to import OLD 4.7 and before info into a new 4.8 system as everything has migrated into the database during the upgrade process.  All you can to is upgrade 4.7 to 4.8.

Going forward it won't be as big of an issue.  But this initial transition is.

So all the backup files (configs) from 4.7 would have to be in the proper folders prior to upgrading/starting 4.8 for the first time.