Buffering live TV

scott46953

@scott46953Apologies. As mentioned above we would need an example to know why this occurs. If you can provide one we could better solve this.

In the meantime...The most obvious reason this happens is they are not using "Auto" for their video quality. You might tell your remote users to choose "Auto" for their video quality. Otherwise it is possible they can choose a video quality which will over saturate your connection. This would cause endless buffering hell for them which is exactly as are describe to us.

If you know exactly what upload speed you want them to consume that would be best to set their video quality with. They then can set their video quality to match that speed you suggest to them.

If we're talking Live TV on the Roku, I don't believe it will ever direct play.  It will always at least remux.

scott46953

@speechlesVery few of my users use Auto, I manually set all my users based on what I believe is good for them on the size of their tv VS their internet speeds on Wifi.

However, most are at 5mb and some are at 3mb, the ones that have troubles are lowered to 2 or 1mb.

But, when this happens, it does not matter what selection it is on.  it will just buffer buffer buffer.  then i have to hear how sling, youtube and other streaming apps are perfectly fine.

Most of the time it seems to be mainly ROKU Devices that have this issue.  But when the same person, same setup changes the ROKU to a FireStick the issue goes away?

I keep trying to explain to people to reboot their devices. I even reboot the server and sometimes that fixes their issues.  However, nobody wants to add an Auto Reboot task...

but instead ask to see and resolve the issues.  But nothing seems to have been done and I am now getting less people watching.  The result is now i no longer need all the connecctions I am paying for.  So how to I Remove the extra monthly connections?  DO not need to pay for something I am no longer using on AUTO PAY....

scott46953
Posted (edited)

I can get it to direct play after selecting Several settings in the device i am watching it on.

Settings LIVE TV

Direct Play Live TV Option

Allow Video Stream Copy Option

then I go back to Playback options

Allow Direct Play of TS Files

Then regardless of the selected quality setting the users settings on the server for the user it will direct play the stream.

Edited by scott46953

Just now, scott46953 said:

Settings LIVE TV

Direct Play Live TV Option

Allow Video Stream Copy Option

then I go back to Playback options

Allow Direct Play of TS Files

Those are all in the Android/Fire app, not the Roku.

Just now, scott46953 said:

How does somebody with the Roku direct stream?

That's what I'm saying.  If you're talking live TV, the Roku cannot.  It will always at least remux and this could be the difference that you are seeing.

scott46953

Everybody on my server remuxes, nobody except for myself has the live direct stream options enabled because they're not enabled by default, that's not the differences that I'm seeing, any other ideas? The log files there

scott46953

In advance settings there is buffer settings, there's two different ones, excuse my memory, I took the default value times three and enter that manually in the spot. 

Complaints have limited, but I did reboot this morning. 😕

• Thanks 1

scott46953

had a complant yesterday late afternoon, Roku person says unwatchable.

Also says the channels drop out at the top of the hour, then i got to thinking... does this have anything to do with commerical skip? or is there another task that I do not need as a plugin that is causing iptv channels to stop or freeze to a stopping point at the top of the hour?  it also have at the 30 of hour hour as well, but not as often..

This could also lead to buffering during quick dropout times, so it maybe related to the buffering, but not sure at this point. just an idea.

I was also watching tv on android and did not notice anything on Nvidia box.  But i was watching recorded tv.

When i switched to live tv, i did not see any issues, neither did anyone else..  So I instructed the person to reboot the Roku and let them know the Emby team is checking into the issue.

here is the log file, the server was not rebooted over the weekend. so any issues should show up on this log.

embyserver-63849945600.zip

Also A-team s1e4 and s1e5 is stuck as ghost on my screen as one, and flip flops...

My iptv server says i have stream running today and nothing is showing on my server.  a reboot of server fixes the stuck streams

Edit, just received a second complaint of buffering over the weekend.  Normal people that have been watching for years are saying unwatchable buffering or stopping of channels...

I will start rebooting the server everyday including the weekends...  especially before any big events...

Dont need an reboot task??  but you want to fix the issue?  How long will it take to resolve?

Edited by scott46953

1 hour ago, scott46953 said:

does this have anything to do with commerical skip?

Have you tried removing that plug-in and seeing if the problem goes away?

scott46953

If that is what the log file says, then will remove the highly wanted plugin and contact the commercial skip plugin, should I also remove the "on record run comskip" in the scripter-x settings? Or just the plugin?

13 hours ago, scott46953 said:

If that is what the log file says, then will remove the highly wanted plugin and contact the commercial skip plugin, should I also remove the "on record run comskip" in the scripter-x settings? Or just the plugin?

Yes, both. All third party plugins. That's generally the first step to troubleshooting problems that are hard to track down. That helps remove unknown variables. Thanks.

scott46953

Have not removed plugins yet, reboot seems to fix the problem fine and I get to keep the plugins, so I'll just manually reboot once a day. I went long enough without my commercial skip earlier this month. I guess when I decide that rebooting is too much of a headache to do manually I'll come back to the Post.