Buffering live TV

scott46953

scott46953

Last night during the NCAA game... Buffer buffer buffer...  Emby kept sticking on menus during these buffer events.

CPU was only at 10% ???

Does the Emby not use multi threads? 2.3Ghz 8 core 16 logical

I thought maybe the transcode drive NVME SSD is acting up...  Changed to a fast HDD no differance...

Emby dragged down by too many tasks of trying to put together all the small video files in the transcode temp folder???

But that would mean my CPU would be showing the pull, but it is not using the full power of the CPU?

here is the log file from last night.  A reboot during the game also did not fix the buffering and stalling of Emby

embyserver-63848217599.zip

1 hour ago, scott46953 said:

Last night during the NCAA game... Buffer buffer buffer...  Emby kept sticking on menus during these buffer events.

CPU was only at 10% ???

Does the Emby not use multi threads? 2.3Ghz 8 core 16 logical

I thought maybe the transcode drive NVME SSD is acting up...  Changed to a fast HDD no differance...

Emby dragged down by too many tasks of trying to put together all the small video files in the transcode temp folder???

But that would mean my CPU would be showing the pull, but it is not using the full power of the CPU?

here is the log file from last night.  A reboot during the game also did not fix the buffering and stalling of Emby

embyserver-63848217599.zip 1.51 MB · 1 download

Hi. What was your source for the video stream?

scott46953
Posted (edited)

I just now turned on the debug logging... maybe this option will help the problem being seen in the log file.

i just restarted the server this morning around 8:30 am est -5 because the iptv channels would only play for around 5 mins or less and stop or buffer.

tonight when i go to watch late night tv after work, it will need another reboot usually... 

I will log the time, channel type and time issue happens, also the time of reboot that fixes the issue.

EDIT: ebr to answer your question it is always iptv stream unless noted.  I do have 2 HD Home Run quads, one older and one 4k.

Just wish there was a screen on Emby just for seeing current incoming live video streams.  I still see streams getting stuck on my HD Home Run menus.

So i also bet the iptv streams are doing the same thing... stuck running ghost...

Edited by scott46953

scott46953

Also, i know this is not the right spot for this question... but wishful thinking... the settings for each device... is it possible one day to have those settings for each device saved on the server?  This way the settings can be changed on the server side when needed.  

19 hours ago, scott46953 said:

to answer your question it is always iptv stream

I'm sure they had a very heavy load for that game.  Very well could have been the source...

scott46953

I have 4 iptv providers currently, When I see a lag issue on my server and my server is not using 10% of cpu but it has troubles loading Emby menus... 

I do not think it is allowing full use of the system that Emby is installed on.. Maybe it is not using multi-theading?  not sure yet.

Hi, please try removing these plugins:

2024-04-08 22:38:42.736 Info App: Loading ComSkipper, Version=1.4.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null from C:\emby2021\programdata\plugins\ComSkipper.dll
2024-04-08 22:38:42.736 Info App: Loading DiskSpace, Version=1.0.6.3, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null from C:\emby2021\programdata\plugins\DiskSpace.dll
2024-04-08 22:38:42.736 Info App: Loading Emby.WatchHistory, Version=1.0.0.1, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null from C:\emby2021\programdata\plugins\Emby.WatchHistory.dll
2024-04-08 22:38:42.736 Info App: Loading EmbyScripterX, Version=4.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null from C:\emby2021\programdata\plugins\EmbyScripterX.dll
2024-04-08 22:38:42.736 Info App: Loading playback_reporting, Version=2.1.0.5, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null from C:\emby2021\programdata\plugins\playback_reporting.dll

Then restart the server and see how things compare. Thanks.

scott46953

Already removed com Skip 1.4, I have the latest version installed now.. will it be okay to keep the newer version installed?? 

For now I will keep it installed because I just now got it running on live TV, and it's doing an amazing job. Will be updating that post more than likely in the morning.

scott46953

Playback Reporting Has Been Uninstalled from DESKTOP-7EKF1NV

4/14/2024, 5:31:06 PM

Watch History Has Been Uninstalled from DESKTOP-7EKF1NV

4/14/2024, 5:30:59 PM

Disk Space Has Been Uninstalled from DESKTOP-7EKF1NV

4/14/2024, 5:29:39 PM

Comskip is now version 2.1.0

ScripterX is now version 5.0.0.4 beta

They both are finally working now after a long wait for Windows 11 compatibility update.

I will wait a few days and then send a new log file.  I have enabled the log file, so it should read more details.

• Thanks 1

scott46953

my cusin said emby unwatchable on roku at around 8:45pm on 4/21

all other devices seem to be ok.  Roku seems to have horrible buffering, and reports say youtube and sling work fine durring those times..

here is the log file... maybe its the roku app that needs update or maybe its a settings issue?

embyserver-scottcars36gmailcom.zip

scott46953

I know your busy, just wanted to see if anyone could take a look at the time of the buffering and see if it is something that can be adjusted in settings, or if it is something with roku apps?

Can you try lowering the in-app quality setting? That will usually help with things like buffering.

scott46953

I've got several people have Roku devices, all them except for one have fiber and are paying for 200 Mb line or better,, one person that had a Roku up in the woods in the middle of nowhere had DSL speed test 16 MB, couldn't get a good steady stream with emby even on 1MB setting... Loaned out my fire stick, he is much happier still buffers once in awhile, but at least he's watchable now... So not quite sure what's the difference between Roku and Android?  90% of the time if somebody says it's buffering, they have a Roku device frown face, sorry I should have already explained this in the beginning..  just thought I would send my log file in case maybe there's some settings that I need to change in the server, or maybe there's some settings on the Roku devices that can be changed by everyone that has a Roku.. or maybe there's something that can be updated on the developer side,,,

I understand your theoretical performance should be high, but you could have ISP port throttling occurring on either side of the connection, which is very common nowadays.

scott46953

Throttling on emby? But not throttling on sling or YouTube or any other platform? It's very hard to explain to somebody that emby is a different type of stream, they think that regardless of what it is it's a video and it should work regardless of what platform it is. But I try to stand behind the emby and explain to them the best I can.  For now I try to talk them into going to an Android device, Nvidia Shield preferred..  the one in question that I sent the log file for, buffers on everything, said he tried four or five channels of the same channel from different IPTV providers that I have.. within minutes I turn my TV on to the same channels no problem.. if I change the box out from a Roku to an Android version and the problem goes away, there's no way it can be a throttling problem on the ISP side.  But I understand your thought.

ISP Port throttling. Are you running youtube on port 8096? Obviously the answer to that is no, so that is why you could see a difference between Emby and YouTube. And again it could be happening on your side, your user's side, or both.

If this is occurring, then using different port numbers besides the defaults, and/or setting up SSL are a couple things users have reported anecdotally to get around it.

The ISP can traffic shape their network and alter priority. So YouTube, Sling, other big guys can proceed with priority traffic. Then the little guys, aka anyone else, get their packets delayed enough that it causes issues with buffering.

scott46953

Okay but when I switch it out for an Android device the problem is resolved, so you're saying that Roku uses a different port on my server then the 8096? Or is the Android devices using a different ports and 8096? Why is it different when it comes to the devices? Roku buffers Android does not. Does Roku have a way to vpn? Some people are paying for Google VPN and don't even know it, I love my Google VPN it has better speeds than almost all the other vpns.  

Just now, scott46953 said:

Okay but when I switch it out for an Android device the problem is resolved, so you're saying that Roku uses a different port on my server then the 8096? Or is the Android devices using a different ports and 8096? Why is it different when it comes to the devices? Roku buffers Android does not. Does Roku have a way to vpn? Some people are paying for Google VPN and don't even know it, I love my Google VPN it has better speeds than almost all the other vpns.  

Well for starters, are the connections from Roku to server and android to server identical? Meaning both client devices on the same network, both using the same vpn (or  no vpn), etc? 

Unless those details are identical then it's an apples to oranges comparison. 

scott46953

Not currently using a vpn, that's something we just got done talking about. I don't use a VPN unless I have to do it. Let's start over, a normal person with a Roku device has buffering issues using Roku, swap out the Roku for an Android device Amazon or Nvidia same exact TV, the same exact wi-fi, same exact internet, nothing else has changed except for the device, Roku versus Android... 

Are the items direct playing in both instances?

scott46953

does it do this setting by default?

Whatever the default settings are, but i believe they are transcoding to try to resolve the issue, but doesnt.. at the current time 2 mb setting

4 hours ago, scott46953 said:

does it do this setting by default?

It depends on whether the files are supported by the device and if they fit within the quality setting.

scott46953

Does the log file not show this? Okay so what needs to be done to resolve the issue? We're going to assume at this point that it does not matter if it's transcoding or direct, going to assume because it does not matter it buffers on both, what needs to be done to resolve the issue? Just keep rebooting the device? Just keep rebooting the device?