Running Emby on a different server than media files, problem deleting

rb9999

rb9999

I set up my system using the Trash Guides for Synology located here: https://trash-guides.info/Hardlinks/How-to-setup-for/Synology/

I have Emby Premiere currently running on my Synology in Docker with no issues.  I installed another copy of Emby on a Mini PC in an Proxmox Linux Container and linked it up to my media files on my Synology via an NFS mounted drive.  This version of Emby is installed using the Ubuntu Linux install docs: https://emby.media/linux-server.html

Using this new Emby instance, I am no longer able to delete media files from my library.  Obviously a permission issue.  When I try to delete a media file, I get an error on my Android TV instance (some type of volley error, surely permission issue.  Below is a snippet from the Emby Log file when trying to delete confirming its a permission issue.

System.UnauthorizedAccessException: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path '/data/media/iptv/NBC Nightly News With Lester Holt/NBC Nightly News With Lester Holt 2024_04_06_18_30_00.ts' is denied.
     ---> System.IO.IOException: Permission denied

There is a setting for a user to allow Media Deletion and I do have this set for "ALL LIBRARIES".  I also found that the Emby Service is being run under the user "emby".  I added root access to this use to see if that would fix it (temporarily) but it did not.  Same issue.

Any ideas on where to look to solve this issue?

Emby Server Version: 4.8.3.0 on both systems.
Synology DSM: 7.2.1 -69057 Update 4

Hi, have you followed the permissions guide here: 

rb9999

I did not. I believe I had DSM 6 when I installed initially.  In looking at it now, when I go under the permissions and change to "System internal user" Emby is not listed.

Happy2Play
57 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, have you followed the permissions guide here: 

But that applies to server and media on same box.

4 hours ago, rb9999 said:

I have Emby Premiere currently running on my Synology in Docker with no issues.

but

4 hours ago, rb9999 said:

I installed another copy of Emby on a Mini PC in an Proxmox Linux Container and linked it up to my media files on my Synology via an NFS mounted drive. This version of Emby is installed using the Ubuntu Linux install docs: https://emby.media/linux-server.html

So this will come back to the mount permissions.  But someone else will have to comment as I don't really know these platforms.  But would guess it would fall under the Permissions guide.

Edited by Happy2Play

rb9999

That is whati was thinking too, but i can delete a file as root throughthe nfs connection. I guess i need to figure out how to run Emby in Ubuntu as root.  Its currently running as user "emby".  I triedadding user emby to the root group but that didnt work.

OK i misread, sorry. If you're not running the server Synology package then you may want to look at this: 

rb9999

I will take a look at this. The media files are on my Synology, currently working with my Docker setup fine.  It's just when I try to manage those same files from an Emby instance on another virtualized box. 

Just clarifying my setup.  I will dig into your née info later tonight or in the morning and report back.

rb9999
Posted (edited)

By the way, I can record iptv from this other box to my synology and view it. I can even delete a recording created by that box.  I just cannot delete any recording not made by that box, or anything pulled down by Radarr/Sonarr etc (which all run on my Synology).

That might be an important piece I failed to communicate. 

Edited by rb9999
Clarify

rb9999

I read through this.  Most people seem to be using physical hard disks connected to a system and I don't see anyone using nfs.  There was one person talking about using SMB but it was in regard to something else.  I don't believe this helps me.  I may have bit off more than I can chew here.

Can't you have your Synology share using smb?