Emby for Server Scans for Subtitles Daily, and Sometimes Wrong Subs

monkeylove

monkeylove

I set up different libraries--movies, foreign, TV shows, etc.--and for each activated the OpenSubtitles plugin to search for English plugins with the hash mark check. I also entered the OpenSubtitles login information but it's a regular account. Some movies and shows already came with subtitles, and I tried to make sure that they ended in en.srt which is what Emby wants; they're also in the same folders as their videos, and I configured the libraries that way, too. Finally, I add and remove videos periodically.

I remember checking the logs twice, and they indicate that Emby is searching for subtitles for one video (the name is a mix of characters), then after a minute or so, the next one, and so on. I think that means the plugin is working, right?

I notice, though, that Emby would periodically scan for subtitles almost daily, and it would take around one to three hours. Does it skip videos that already have subtitles? Does it search for subtitles of only newly added videos?

Finally, I notice that for several videos the subtitles are either wrong (that is, the wrong movie) or not synced. I'm sure they don't include the subtitles ones that came with the videos (that is, not downloaded by Emby) because those are usually right.

For now, I deactived the subtitle each for library, but for those that don't have them, I have to get them manually from OpenSubtitles.

Does it skip videos that already have subtitles?

Hi, it depends on your subtitle download settings for the library. How is it configured?

Finally, I notice that for several videos the subtitles are either wrong (that is, the wrong movie) or not synced. I'm sure they don't include the subtitles ones that came with the videos (that is, not downloaded by Emby) because those are usually right.

Hi there, can you please provide a specific example? thanks.

monkeylove
Posted (edited)

Thanks. The settings are

Open Subtitles

English only

Require a has match

No age limit

Save downloaded subtitles into media folders

Maybe I should set it to 14 days? I'll try it.

For an example, I can't think of anything right now, but I'll let you know if I find another one.

Edited by monkeylove

No age limit

@monkeylove

This is the reason why it keeps trying over and over again.

monkeylove

The problem stopped after I set it at 14 days. I thought the plugin was designed to skip all videos that were already checked.

I found one example:

Dune.2021.1080p.BluRay.x265-RARBG.mp4

I ran the "download subtitles task in "scheduled tasks" manually, and Emby downloads a subtitle file, but the subtitles don't sync with the video.

The movie library is set the ff. way:

Download Languages - English

Subtitle Downloaders - Open Subtitles

Requires a hash match

On 4/14/2024 at 11:02 AM, monkeylove said:

The problem stopped after I set it at 14 days. I thought the plugin was designed to skip all videos that were already checked.

I found one example:

Dune.2021.1080p.BluRay.x265-RARBG.mp4

I ran the "download subtitles task in "scheduled tasks" manually, and Emby downloads a subtitle file, but the subtitles don't sync with the video.

The movie library is set the ff. way:

Download Languages - English

Subtitle Downloaders - Open Subtitles

Requires a hash match

Maybe try another one? OpenSubtitles says it was a hash match, although Emby obviously has no way to verify that it will actually be in sync or not.

Can you locate the one that it downloaded on the OpenSubtitles website?

monkeylove

I remember seeing the Twitter kaboomskull ad at the beginning, so I thought I could find the file based on that, but I just checked and many different SRT versions in the site have that ad.

In any event, I will just have to get subtitles for any videos with problems manually because I understand that there's no guarantee that the sync's correct even though there's a hash match.

Lastly, I just realized that some might not be aware that the library configuration defaults with no age limits for subtitle downloads. In which case, they should set it in default setting for the initial scan of the library, and then go reconfigure it to limits in order to prevent lengthy re-scans.

Lastly, I just realized that some might not be aware that the library configuration defaults with no age limits for subtitle downloads. In which case, they should set it in default setting for the initial scan of the library, and then go reconfigure it to limits in order to prevent lengthy re-scans.

We'll make sure a default is set for new libraries. Thanks for the feedback.