WebOS23 and DTS

HALLiGALLi

HALLiGALLi

My OLED G2 just updated to WebOS23 (13.30.55) and with this my Server isn't transcoding DTS to AC3 anymore. At first I thought that's nice, but directplay isn't working, no sound at all, the G2 cannot handle DTS. Or did this change and the client isn't up to date yet? The server logs looking good.

@SamES

SamES

This will be an interesting one. When LG announced DTS support for some 2023 models TV’s, including all the OLED models, they hadn’t previously allowed older model years to update to newer webOS releases. We have used the webOS version to detect the 2023 models and have allowed DTS where supported. Alas, the goal posts have moved and checking the webOS version is no longer enough. 

I’m out of town on holiday this week, so when I’m back I’ll investigate how we can more reliably detect supported models with DTS, as upgrading a G2 to webOS 2023 isn’t enough to enable DTS support. 

• Thanks 1

SamES

With the updated webOS version, can you please post a server log with debug enabled and a transcode log for anything transcoding on the G2?  Just drop the playback quality until it starts transcoding. 

HALLiGALLi

Ok, i understand. Dammit, first i got excited maybe getting DTS working, like on the C/G3 models. But it seems more like a hardware restriction or license thing, idk.

Discovered https://webostv.developer.lge.com/develop/specifications/video-audio-230 and there LG is saying DTS only on "specific models"

So, back to AC3. Thanks for your effort. Hope the serverlog helps.

embyserver.txt

But it seems more like a hardware restriction or license thing, idk.

Yea even when you opened this topic I didn't expect that it would work. They probably have to pay the license for specific hardware models.

MangoBro

Hi, Is there already a solution or a release date for an update? I have an C2 and I can't watch movies with DTS surround  @SamES😕

phazari180

Same here, 2x recently updated G2s i n the house both with the same issue.

SamES

Hopefully we will have a way to resolve this with the next LG release.  Unfortunately LG have provided no way to determine if the device supports DTS, and while we were able to determine this based on webOS and model details, now that they have allowed older models to update the webOS level (but not necessarily gain all the functionality - like DTS) this no longer works.  Fortunately, the do have API methods to check for some model specific feature support, but not DTS.  I've reached out to LG to see if they can provide a more reliable way to detect DTS support.

MangoBro

And if you do it in the TV APP like Pl*x, you can select the supported audio codecs that the TV supports. Of course, automatic detection is more elegant, but that would certainly be quick to program. 

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with MangoBro. I too have an LG TV and at this point Emby is worthless for movies because most of them are in DTS and I can't hear them. I an option to manually select audio formats would be fantastic even if it is an advanced option like others within Emby.