Embeded Metadata in mkv/mp4 files

DCNerds

DCNerds

I am new to Emby, but I am not new to technology or media servers. I have had media servers since Windows NT 3.5/4.0 Server (yeah, I am that old).

Current Server: Synology DS1621+ (AMD Ryzen 32Gb RAM)/Emby v4.8.3.0 -- Players: Roku Ultra 4 and Web Browsers

META ISSUE 1

My first movie media library had about 250 items. I noticed 12 or so movies did not display the correct meta information; Robin Hood (1991) - 1K.mkv and You Only Live Twice (1967).mkv, and The Two Towers (2002) - Extended Edition-disk1.mkv had the 'wrong' cover art. OK STOP.... I know I can (and did) update the mkv files from the meta manager, but from my perspective I should not have to. Why you ask?...

For years I have been using MetaX to add metadata and art to my mp4/mkv files. (I am NOT affiliated with or endorsing MetaX, I am simply providing information to expatiate a resolution) Here are screen shots of MetaX, and Windows Explorer displaying the expected metadata. I have also noticed many of my embedded short/long descriptions are being ignored/not imported as well.

So yes, I am new to Emby, is there a setting/plugin I missed? I am frustrated, from my perspective, Emby should be using my data FIRST but it appears you are not.  I should not have to check every movie every time I add a new file to the server, but I fell like I have to. Help/Thanks.

META ISSUE 2 (Should this be a separate post?)

Overview: I have 2 volumes, volume1 is for my company/work/web files, volume2 is the media drive with mp3/mp4/mkv files. volume2 is at 85% capacity, so as a temporary fix, I added a media folder to volume1 and gave Emby R/W permission to that folder.

I had the movie Moonfall on volume2 there was no issue with the metadata. see screen cap below. I decided to add/move my 4K movies to volume1 as a temp storage solution. Here are the steps I took: Deleted Moonfall. Shut off Emby server. Moved Moonfall to volume1, added Apollo 13 to volume 1.  Started Emby server. Added new folder. Scanned media folders.

Apollo 13 came up as Emmanuelle, I mean wow, Apollo 13 is NOTHING like Emmanuelle, and Moonfall became Through My Window. The metadata was fine on volume2, but not on volume1? PLUS there is metadata already embedded in the mkv file!

As a further test, I deleted the volume1 folder, moved Moonfall back to volume2, and poof the correct metadata is there.

What am I missing or not understand? Help/Thanks.

metax.jpg

explorer.jpg

emby-home.jpg

emby-meta.jpg

moonfall-meta.jpg

moonfall-incorrect.jpg

embyserver-63847518877.txt embyserver.txt

folder.jpg

Edited by DCNerds
Added additional screen capture

For years I have been using MetaX to add metadata and art to my mp4/mkv files. (I am NOT affiliated with or endorsing MetaX, I am simply providing information to expatiate a resolution) Here are screen shots of MetaX, and Windows Explorer displaying the expected metadata. I have also noticed many of my embedded short/long descriptions are being ignored/not imported as well.

Hi there, what image fetchers are enabled on the library and in what order?

Regarding the second issue, I don't see any references to Moonfall in your server log. We'd have to look at the server log from when it was first imported in order to diagnose. Thanks.

DCNerds

Thanks for your additional help. Will this fix the not importing my descriptions as well?

I have re added moonfall to volume2, then removed it and re-loaded moonfall to volume1, log attached.

Additional files attached.

meta-dl.JPG

image-dl.JPG

embyserver(1).txt

So going back to the images, put Image Capture as your highest priority image fetcher if that's what you want.

Please note that the consequence of this is that when you import a movie that doesn't have an embedded image, this will cause the server to generate one from a frame in the video, rather than trying to download an actual poster. So just be aware of that.