Does EMBY leave anything behind when restarting? (Also restart timing)

Gilgamesh_48

Gilgamesh_48

In particular I have noticed that after several weeks of effectively continuous running accessing my Emby slows down. I have also noticed that when I want to perform a general maintenance task it is slower if the server has not restarted for a while. It is not bad and i like, overall, the performance of the server but it is quite noticeable when I don't do a computer restart at least weekly. 
I have never had playback problems because of this. 

Restarting all my computers is part of my weekly maintenance but sometimes things happen that prevent or delay the normal restart for my server. 

This is really not begging for a fix, what happens never gets so bad that my server is not useable, but rather I just want to know what is happening and. possibly why.

One more thing the only other pieces of software running on the server are DrivePool and TightVNC and I have verified that those two are not causing the problem but, due to its dynamic nature, Emby does seem to get slower if left running for a week or more. I do not "need" a fix but I am in desperate need of understanding.

Also, for other people running a server under Windows 10, how often do you restart your server. 

Happy2Play

I would ask what your database cache is set to?

Gilgamesh_48
10 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

I would ask what your database cache is set to?

1000. I think I remember it being lower in the past, something like 500 or so. Should I change it back? While the cache size could impact Emby's server I do not see how, unless there is a bug, it could change the overall computer speed over time. 
Also, baring a bug, how would Emby slow down over time because of the size of the cache.
Those two possibilities just seem like impossibilities t me. 

rbjtech
5 hours ago, Gilgamesh_48 said:

Also, for other people running a server under Windows 10, how often do you restart your server. 

Other than inbetween forced Windows Updates - never.

I'm currently running Windows 11, but I never did restarts on Windows 10 either.

If you ran emby as a Windows service, then you could just restart the service, rather than restart the entire server ... 🤪

JoLarsson
9 hours ago, Gilgamesh_48 said:

Not Windows 10 but Windows 11 Pro 23H2

I run a sheduled task every friday morning (early) that performs some maintenance stuff, some nfo scripts, emby backup (no I do not solely rely on the internal backup).
That script reboots the server if there is a reboot pending from Windows Update. So I guess the machine gets rebooted once a month but the embyserver (service) stops and starts once a week.

Before I started using my maintenance script I didn't notice any slowing down but I hated the random Windows Update reboot.

Edited by JoLarsson

pwhodges

As I use the beta for my main server, it gets restarted as often as there is a beta update - or when there is a Windows update (which I trigger manually).

When I was using my Hauppauge TV card, I restarted the server every night to deal with tuners which sometimes locked up, and a growing cache directory.  Now I use a HDHomeRun I no longer do that; hopefully the native support in the long-awaited new TV software will enable me to use the Hauppauge again without the old issues.

I've never had any other issue which restarting Emby was the fix for.

Paul