can we please not auto restart during a library scan

Statick

Statick

"Info App: Automatically restarting the system because it is idle and a restart is required."

the system isn't idle, it's doing a library scan, which was aborted because Emby restarted

I've twice now tried to kick off a huge scan of a lot of newly added videos which will take hours to complete, leaving it running while I'm out all day, only to come back to it 10 hours later and find it restarted half an hour after I left it. it's annoying! let me complete my library scans before restarting please

Gilgamesh_48

I believe that is under the exclusive control of Windows. I do not think Emby has any control or any reasonable way of knowing that a restart is pending. 

I handle that by manually restarting my computer at the very first chance after Windows puts the notification in my queue.

I think there is a way to restrict restarts but that is controlled by Windows and nothing else.

BTW: I think "idle" is defined by Windows as no screen activity. That is a stupid definition but Microsoft has never been accused of great real world intelligence. I have had my system restart right in the middle of a database modification (Not for Emby) and that required a lot of work to fix and that is also why I started my policy of manual restarts.
It works better than just letting it happen.
Plus I am male and we really like being in control of everything. :D;) 

Lastly I have never seen a reboot where that "pending restart" message was not around for at least 36 hours before the restart happened and it "might" be longer. I also think somewhere in the system there is a setting where you can adjust how long it waits before restarting and I think it is even possible to move it out to a week or so.

Edited by Gilgamesh_48

Happy2Play
3 hours ago, Statick said:

"Info App: Automatically restarting the system because it is idle and a restart is required."

the system isn't idle, it's doing a library scan, which was aborted because Emby restarted

I've twice now tried to kick off a huge scan of a lot of newly added videos which will take hours to complete, leaving it running while I'm out all day, only to come back to it 10 hours later and find it restarted half an hour after I left it. it's annoying! let me complete my library scans before restarting please

I guess you could disable the option and restart at your convivence manually.

image.png.7e469a6803bcb7403d1e07103dbde31c.png

• Like 2

pwhodges

It should be possible to add code to Emby to keep Windows alive during specific actions.

As another alternative, rather than changing the Windows settings, you can run a program (available from Microsoft) to do the same, and kill it afterwards.

Paul

JoLarsson

Well I don't think he means that the whole computer restarts, it's only Emby like Happy2Play pointed out.

I don't see this happening very often on my server but then I don't have that many plugins. I have the "Allow server restart" unchecked because I have a maintenance window early on friday mornings where Windows gets it's updates and computer restarts, Emby gets backed up in various ways. A few actions are scheduled on my NAS and so on.

pwhodges

Ah yes, you're right.  I never think about Emby restarting itself, because I run it as a Windows service - in which case it doesn't.

Paul

HI, if there's any scheduled task active, or an active live tv recording, then it will not restart during that time.