Hardware Transcoding with Docker and NVIDIA GeForce 1050 Ti

jbark

jbark

I can't get my card setup to do hardware transcoding with the latest version of Emby running in Docker.  The hardware_detection log attached shows "Message": "Failed to initialize VA /dev/dri/renderD128. Error -1".  I've installed the following:

- NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-550.57.run  (the latest Linux drivers from the Nvidia web site),
- NVIDIA_Container_Toolkit  (and I following the install guide found here)

I'm able to run "sudo docker run --rm --gpus all nvidia/cuda:11.6.2-base-ubuntu20.04 nvidia-smi" successfully.  (See the attached screen shot.)

However, when I run Emby, I don't see any evidence that hardware transcoding is taking place.  My CPU shots up to 100% and stays there while playing a 4k video, for example.

I'm new to Emby, Linux, and Docker but have made some good headway.  Emby works great except for this one issue.

Any ideas what I could be doing wrong?

docker_nvidia-smi.png

embyserver.txt hardware_detection-63846886126.txt

jbark

I managed to fix the problem on my own although I'm not exactly sure what did the trick.  I reinstalled the linux headers, nvidia linux drivers, and the nvidia container toolkit.  Next, I rebooted the computer and, presto, Emby showed my 1050 as a hardware decoder/encoder and hw transcoding works!  

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

• Thanks 1