Emby with Tailscale

ScottyT

ScottyT

Hello everyone,

I propose integrating a Tailscale-like functionality directly into Emby clients and servers to facilitate remote connections without the necessity of a non CGNAT connection or opening up home firewalls and the security concerns that entails. 

While starting a Tailscale client is relatively straightforward for most tech-savvy individuals, it becomes less intuitive on devices like TVs (where it can't be autorun), often causing confusion among users. To circumvent this, I typically set up a NanoPI as a proxy for remote users, directing their Emby client to it. However, if the open sourced Tailscale client were integrated into Emby, clients could transparently connect from any location with an internet connection.

I understand that this integration would require significant effort, but I believe it would be a highly utilized and defining Premiere feature,  attracting users from other Emby alternatives.

Running the Emby server itself with the linuxserver.io docker mod is already straightforward, and the server can be easily referred to by a simple name rather than by an IP address or a lengthy FQDN. https://tailscale.dev/blog/docker-mod-tailscale

Anyway, food for thought. Keep up the good work.

Edited by ScottyT
url

Hi, the problem is this can’t be integrated into the web app, Roku, smart TV apps. It’s really only possible on Android, windows, and maybe Apple.

So given that, that would lead to an inconsistent experience. It’s better in my opinion to pursue improvements that can be used universally.

ScottyT

Hi,

Yeah that's understood but a shame nonetheless. I do see most devices can run WebAssembly so that may always be an option?

• Agree 1

Sure, I suppose that can't be ruled out.

• Like 1